Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Happy with Clutch Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Redesigned part might end up being comparable or better than after-market. Plus, you can't beat 'free' price.
+1 and there is no guarantee that the spec aftermarket will be any better than what you've been dealing with. It could be worse.

Far too many people fall for marketing hype, and incorrectly conclude that they're going to get something better than OEM, when, in fact, the opposite is often true.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-12-2016 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-16-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
This project is temporarily on hold to see if the updated JLR flywheel and clutch kit resolve the shortcomings (at no cost to me). Unfortunately, these parts are on back order and I won't hear back from JLR customer service until Monday about when these parts might be available (could take months).
If the updated parts do not resolve the issue, I will restart the Spec project. To design the high performance clutch, they will need from me the OEM flywheel, clutch set and throw-out slave. If during that process they suggest building a lightweight flywheel for me, I would certainly consider it.
Gotta say its somewhat(!) ridiculous that it could take 'months' to get parts such as this - I mean, if they put QTY 20 in the worldwide supply chain all would be good (until word gets out).

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's nuts to have any part of a car that could not be replaces in that amount of time people could start saying buyback please

Old 03-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Gotta say its somewhat(!) ridiculous that it could take 'months' to get parts such as this - I mean, if they put QTY 20 in the worldwide supply chain all would be good (until word gets out).
The last time they told me this on the same parts, it took 3 weeks. Seems strange they have parts available for production, but not for repairs.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

The last time they told me this on the same parts, it took 3 weeks. Seems strange they have parts available for production, but not for repairs.
The parts seem to be moving much more quickly than a few months ago. JLR customer service confirmed that the parts were received in the UK on Friday and expressed to my dealer yesterday. They should have the parts by the end of the week.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I want to ask a stupid question. This MT is brand new this year.... no way this is actually bad enough to have been a mistake IE recall item? Sorry if that sounds absurd....

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I want to ask a stupid question. This MT is brand new this year.... no way this is actually bad enough to have been a mistake IE recall item? Sorry if that sounds absurd....
Not sure what IE stands for but the problem probably wouldn't be noticed by 90% of the drivers within the F-Type consumer demographic, and certainly no one would notice it during the break-in period.. However, if you are performance minded, and are tying to verify the 0-60 claims, it will be immediately apparent.

I suspect they would rather just fix the problem for the 10% that notice than to fix it for everyone.

Uncle Fishbits (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure what IE stands for but the problem probably wouldn't be noticed by 90% of the drivers within the F-Type consumer demographic, and certainly no one would notice it during the break-in period.. However, if you are performance minded, and are tying to verify the 0-60 claims, it will be immediately apparent. I suspect they would rather just fix the problem for the 10% that notice than to fix it for everyone.
IE is latin for it is, "in other words" "that is to say". While you've been enjoying cars I've been reading legal documents. LOL If you are ever reading something that has "whereas" peppered everywhere, you might want a lawyer. LOL

But you think I could just walk into my dealer during a service and say "the clutch is wonky, make it better for free"?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
IE is latin for it is, "in other words" "that is to say". While you've been enjoying cars I've been reading legal documents. LOL If you are ever reading something that has "whereas" peppered everywhere, you might want a lawyer. LOL

But you think I could just walk into my dealer during a service and say "the clutch is wonky, make it better for free"?

Oh..when did i.e. get capitalized?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I guess it just did. Also ibid and op cit

Last edited by Buckingham; 03-17-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I guess it just did. Also ibid and op cit

LOL You guys got me.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Someone just posted on Pistonheads about clutch slip. May be of interest...

Old 03-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Someone just posted on Pistonheads about clutch slip. May be of interest...
That was our friend MagnumPI. I posted something similar on Autoblog.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious as to what happened with this project. Which way did you end up going? Did you ever try the remove the piston mod?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jameel Gbajabiamila
I am curious as to what happened with this project. Which way did you end up going? Did you ever try the remove the piston mod?
This is a very old thread and is superseded by a more recent one. The original thinking was that the excessive clutch slippage might be related to the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) located just upstream of the throw-out piston. Yes, I succeeded in removing that valve, but it had just minor impact on the slipping clutch issue. The real issue was a design in the early production clutches. When my clutch was finally updated, the CDV was also replaced, and should remain. The friction point now is very narrow and the CDV provides shock protection to the drive train. The CDV no longer impacts the shifting experience, so at this point I would no longer consider removing it.You can find more information on the bad clutch issue here:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1436705

Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Just FYI the CDV was predominantly removed by the BMW guys. It was the first thing I did to my E46 M3 which I still have. 12 years later a couple of clutches and many many track days and driving on the street like a mental person, I can tell you it has no negative impact. What Zeckhausen used to do was just drill the factory piece to enlarge the little pinhole to the ID of the hp line, for those that wanted a factory appearance. The direct feel and engagement of the clutch was the great upside.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
Just FYI the CDV was predominantly removed by the BMW guys. It was the first thing I did to my E46 M3 which I still have. 12 years later a couple of clutches and many many track days and driving on the street like a mental person, I can tell you it has no negative impact. What Zeckhausen used to do was just drill the factory piece to enlarge the little pinhole to the ID of the hp line, for those that wanted a factory appearance. The direct feel and engagement of the clutch was the great upside.
The CDV "delete" is not at all necessary with the updated clutch parts, and is ill-advised if you plan on any significant tuning as the ZF tranny is already near capacity at the OEM V6S tune. However, if still so inclined, there is a better way of deleting the valve than simply drilling a hole and takes no additional effort. You can find a full description at the Volvo C30 forum (you will need to register) :C30 Crew Forum.
This removes the entirety of the check valve eliminating any restriction whatsoever. BTW, this tube is exactly the same part used on the F-Type. In fact, my tube had Volvo stamped on it.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:19 PM

The CDV "delete" is not at all necessary with the updated clutch parts, and is ill-advised if you plan on any significant tuning as the ZF tranny is already near capacity at the OEM V6S tune. However, if still so inclined, there is a better way of deleting the valve than simply drilling a hole and takes no additional effort. You can find a full description at the Volvo C30 forum (you will need to register) :C30 Crew Forum.
This removes the entirety of the check valve eliminating any restriction whatsoever. BTW, this tube is exactly the same part used on the F-Type. In fact, my tube had Volvo stamped on it.
Was just sharing experience from the BMW side, I'm not saying the F-type crowd should do this to not... If it were me I would take out any CDV or similar device, but then again thats just me, as I can't leave **** alone and like the interaction to be as pure and raw as possible...
In any case carry on and good work on finding new things and solutions on this platform. If I still had my shop my car would have been on the lift and...

Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
as I can't leave **** alone and like the interaction to be as pure and raw as possible...
That pretty much describes me. I deleted the CDV shortly after I got the car hoping that would solve the sloppy clutch issue. It did improve the feel a bit but the clutch was still horrible. Jag finally resolve the issue with updated clutch and dual mass flywheel. They also installed a new clutch tube (with CDV) for which I haven't felt the need to modify again since the clutch feels so good now.
When first investigating the CDV issue, I found the BMW fix, but that is actually a standalone inline check valve as opposed the combination elbow/bleed valve/CDV found in the Jag and Volvo.

Mpowerr,
Keep those ideas flowing.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM

That pretty much describes me. I deleted the CDV shortly after I got the car hoping that would solve the sloppy clutch issue. It did improve the feel a bit but the clutch was still horrible. Jag finally resolve the issue with updated clutch and dual mass flywheel. They also installed a new clutch tube (with CDV) for which I haven't felt the need to modify again since the clutch feels so good now.
When first investigating the CDV issue, I found the BMW fix, but that is actually a standalone inline check valve as opposed the combination elbow/bleed valve/CDV found in the Jag and Volvo.

Mpowerr,
Keep those ideas flowing.
You've been a trailblazer on this platform, keep it up!
Have you considered a light weight flywheel (not sure if anyone makes it for this car)? In my experience most people do not end up liking it, be it because of the chatter or starting off the line. I've always loved them, to me it makes car more direct and enjoyable/easier to drive fast, ripping through the gears and downshifting becomes easier to do as well. But I do understand that this is a luxury car and most people would probably not go that route. I think you might like it though...

Quick Reply: Not Happy with Clutch Feel?