F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not much going on with the Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 06:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Not much going on with the Subwoofers

Hi this is only for those with Meridian SURROUND within F Type. Can someone fade to the rear speakers only and then go up and down on the Subwoofer within the Audio Settings. In mine the Subs seem to do very little if anything at all. The rear mids are ok though.

Just to go further on this I have already installed a separately amped Hertz Mille Legend 10" Sub and replaced the speakers mostly with Legend and also Audison so it's good quality kit fitted. The subs behind the seats I initially exchanged for after market dual voice coil subs but there is little sound from them. Whether I need them working at all of course is one argument, what with the boot Sub I have installed and all .....but I just do!

Last edited by Dale Melton; 08-10-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 08-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

My factory "subs" are relatively active - as much as I'd expect from mediocre drivers in a poor installation running off minimal power. They are definitely trying and depending on the source material actually sound like subs to some degree.

Last edited by TH3FRB; 08-10-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:25 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

You've replaced the factory sub drivers with something else in the factory locations and are driving them with the factory amp?
Do the new drivers have the same DVC 2 Ohm configuration as the factory drivers?
You've tapped the factory sub signal to play on the aftermarket amp and sub?
Both the behind seat subs and way-back sub are playing the same data?

Last edited by Robtrt8; 08-10-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Melton
Hi this is only for those with Meridian SURROUND within F Type. Can someone fade to the rear speakers only and then go up and down on the Subwoofer within the Audio Settings. In mine the Subs seem to do very little if anything at all. The rear mids are ok though.

Just to go further on this I have already installed a separately amped Hertz Mille Legend 10" Sub and replaced the speakers mostly with Legend and also Audison so it's good quality kit fitted. The subs behind the seats I initially exchanged for after market dual voice coil subs but there is little sound from them. Whether I need them working at all of course is one argument, what with the boot Sub I have installed and all .....but I just do!
As best we can tell from doing some measurements, the factory subs are only getting 10-15W per coil. While they aren't good quality they are probably high efficiency. I wouldn't expect any decent after market sub to do much of anything off that sort of power. Are your replacements still playing free air or did you somehow create enclosures? Sealed enclosures are even less efficient and if you did create an enclosure it's likely too small compounding the issue even more.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM

Yes and they are dual voice coil with the same impedance as the factory subs but just better (I hope ) quality. The signal to these replaced subs has remained unchanged. The new 10" boot mounted sub woofer is tapped into the door bass speakers as my audio installer, who wired in my diy sub installation, found this to provide a better solution having tried both tapping off the rear also in the past. That in turn is connected also via a LC2i and works great. So no the new sub and behind the seat subs are not connected together as such. I have a friend with the Meridian (non surround system) and his behind seat subs work ok. However things are wired up differently on his because he doesn't have a separate sub woofer level control in the head unit and just can alter the bass. So I assume controlling the bass on his car adjusts both the door and behind seat speakers together.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:46 AM

I probably didn't make myself clear but the behind seat subs are only changed with regards to the speaker. NO wiring has changed. The boot mounted sub is separately amped and receives a signal from the door bass speakers via a L2Ci. I just don't know the behind seat subs seem to do hardly anything whilst they do on my buddies non Surround Meridian system.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:11 AM

Your installer is correct. The door’s woofer channels are far superior to the one note wonder coming from the sub channels.

Theoretically, ideally, you would not have two different drivers playing the same data. (Your 10” and the two 8’s). But, you could do a separate amp with your LC2i input to drive the behind the seat woofers. But, you’ll probably only succeed at finding all the rattles that the hat shelf has to offer.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:33 AM

Thanks Robert but all I am trying to do is get some change in sound/volume coming from the behind seat subs. I can't see that having changed those speakers or having installed a separately amped boot sub would have affected that. Tis why I wanted to see if someone with Meridian Surround gets virtually nothing also even when going up and down the Sub Control on the head unit. I'm very happy with the sound the car produces I just don't want to think that my behind new seat subs and the sound proofing in that area was a total waste of time.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Dale I have a new 2021 F Type with the Meridian Surround System. When I EQ'd the system to my tastes I started with the bass , treble and subwoofers in the middle positions. I gradually increased the bass until it was good but not overpowering. I ended up with the treble in the middle position, it didn't need any boost for me. And I listen mostly to classic rock music. Then I gradually turned up the subwoofer until it got boomy and was starting to rattle the interior, then cranked it down. Right now it is set 2 clicks above center. But honestly, EQ'ing the system when sitting in my garage with the engine off and trying to adjust the settings while driving has shown no audible increase with the subwoofer until I boosted it to the point that it was rattling. Maybe with quieter tires on a very smooth section of pavement the subwoofer's presence would be more noticeable.

The other thing I noticed is that I needed to set the L-R balance about 2-3 clicks to the right, otherwise the vocals seemed to be all biased towards the left. But then again my hearing has been abused by years of loud motorcycles, rock concerts and shooting so I probably have poor hearing in my right ear anyway.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:26 PM

Thanks Dwight but this is not my question. I have replaced all the speakers with one of the best makes available on the market being the Hertz Mille Legend plus a pair of Audisons so the sound is superb. However I couldn't understand how the behind seat subs did not react much to the Sub Woofer Control within the head unit when I faded all to the rear assuming the Sub Control was in charge of those. After playing around with the settings I have come to the conclusion that the Sub Control on the head unit is not in charge of those behind seat sub speakers but perhaps is responsible for applying a particular frequency to all the sub/bass speakers when the fader is moved to roughly mid position. If I am right then maybe the Sub Control on the head unit is sort of like Deep Bass Control and is not dedicated to controlling the volume of the behind the seat subs. My audio installer did say that those speakers did not act like sub woofers after all.
Just for info my settings are:
Bass: 2 clicks to the right
Treble: middle
Balance: middle
Sub Woofer: 2 clicks to the right
Fader: one click to the rear
My own installed 10" Mille Legend Sub Woofer: in the middle mostly.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:17 PM

The “rear” is really just a cut to the front. The sub is the sub. You wouldn’t want the sub cut if you fade all the way forward (which is a cut to the rear, namely the stupid little mids behind your head). Before replacing everything, I was rolling in “stereo”, faded all the way forward, sub cut in half, bass up a couple clicks and highs left alone. This was the only way I could get a decent stereo image up front where it belongs.

Hertz/Audison is very nice stuff if you’re into a rather bright sound. Similar to Focal in character but not as dry as B&W. We are doing a demo car in all Hertz/Audison (owner’s wife’s Traverse). His Escalade is getting Blam and Helix. I prefer a more “British” sound. Laid back highs but quick and detailed mids. All my home stuff is Linn, Monitor Audio, KEF. The AudioFrog stuff I put in the Jag is as close to the Old School A/D/S I loved from the ‘90s as I could get. Very SQL.