Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 09:37 AM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Not sure

…if this reviewer likes it or hates it…Lol

Are the indicated constant rattles, not working backup camera, and unresponsive touch screen comments a common experience with these cars? As someone who is currently awaiting a 2024 allocation, I’m just curious. None of this shakes my interest in the car in the slightest. I’m a realist. No car is going to be perfect.

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...duction-review

Old 05-09-2023, 11:08 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

No rattles, failing backup camera or unresponsive touchscreen in my V8 MY18. Fuel egress is the main issue!

Old 05-09-2023, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

No extraneous noises of any sort on my F-Type (54,000 kms): no squeaks, no rattles, no groans, no thumps…no “issues”. It is a joy to own and drive- not to mention its classic beauty.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

Rattles...I have a convertible, and in certain weather conditions (when it is just the right/wrong temperature), I will get some rattles from the top close to where it connects to the windshield. I had no rattles on my coupe and while the infotainment system is subpar, it's functional. Backup cameras have never had an issue and if they were problematic, it would be all over this forum.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:08 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default MY2017 premium coupe, after 2 .5 years

This car came off a nearly 3 year lease with 25K miles. Still had year and a half of factory warranty. Dealer replaced battery, and eventually the flanged heater pipes that were problematic. No problems with the rear camera. An occasional rattle from right/pass door that's a loose panel pin, but I know how to get to that and fix it. The O2 sensors are now warranteed for 100,000 miles. Don't wait for 16K miles for first oil change, owners here advocate more often and there are plenty of threads on the DIY.. get a MityVac. Make sure fluid levels are checked regularly. Many who don't drive them regularly get a CTek battery conditioner. As these vehicles are highly electronic.. the slightest deviation from full battery makes them do strange things.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:22 PM

I just found the review a bit out of step with most “reviews” on the car. Perhaps it is an honest straight-forward review intent-wise, but I definitely don’t think most should extrapolate that all cars will have the deficiencies being highlighted. I have no doubt the reported issues were experienced, but yeah…

I do know that that particular car has had the snot beat out of it by the entire auto journalism regulars here in Canada, various YouTubers, etc... The same license plate shows in the various reviews and YouTube vids. Not that this should matter really, but I suppose it is note worthy. That particular car has done the rounds for sure.

It’s good to get your guys’ first-hand accounts for sure.

I’ve checked out some LC500 forums over time as well (was considering one), and inevitably you see lots of comments on there like, “I went with the LC over the Jag due to reliability”.

There are still lots of situations where this car still is constantly getting painted with the same brush that says all JLR products are at the bottom of the heap for reliability. I just find this interesting, as when you really look and read it seems so far from the truth. I really believe that even if Jag had the most reliable vehicles out there they would still suffer the same fate of wearing their past. It’s the gift that seems to keep on giving ;-0

It’s almost like it has become a favourite pastime to ensure that Jag never shakes this. It’s a phenomenon ;-0

sov211 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:32 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
I’ve checked out some LC500 forums over time as well (was considering one), and inevitably you see lots of comments on there like, “I went with the LC over the Jag due to reliability”.
Yeah, people who've never owned a modern Jag will say that.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

As the owner of a current Mustang GT which I actually really like, I have to say that in no aspect that I can identify is even my 2015 build F Type "somehow less refined" as the reviewer suggests. The Mustang infotainment does more, but I dont think that amounts to refinement. In ride, handling, steering, braking, acceleration, paint finish, exterior accessories, interior surfaces, and comfort the f Type is far superior and more refined, as it should be given that it costs a lot more. I suppose that if you are wanting a highway cruiser with big cushy seats (one of the things I like the least about the mustang, they are way too soft, it is like driving a laze-e-boy) and not feel the road at all, then you might think that the F Type was less refined

jcb-memphis (05-12-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
As the owner of a current Mustang GT which I actually really like, I have to say that in no aspect that I can identify is even my 2015 build F Type "somehow less refined" as the reviewer suggests. The Mustang infotainment does more, but I dont think that amounts to refinement. In ride, handling, steering, braking, acceleration, paint finish, exterior accessories, interior surfaces, and comfort the f Type is far superior and more refined, as it should be given that it costs a lot more. I suppose that if you are wanting a highway cruiser with big cushy seats (one of the things I like the least about the mustang, they are way too soft, it is like driving a laze-e-boy) and not feel the road at all, then you might think that the F Type was less refined
I wasn't sure if the review was referring to the newest Mustang or not, which does seem quite nice (minus the tv screen dash which I personally think is a bit much). Regardless, yeah, having seen an F-type at the dealer in person I don't see how someone in their right mind could make such a statement about the Ford being more refined. At that point in the read of the article was where I started inserting my big grain of salt ;-)

No disrespect to a Mustang, but they are different vehicles without a doubt. I would hope/imagine that most car enthusiasts could see that. In the end, to each their own I guess.

Thanks for your insight.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Last week when my 5.0L XKR passed the 199,000 mile marker, and has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in 55 years of driving, i just laugh at the those poking fun at modern Jaguar reliability. I would bet that you can't find a single modern Aston (of any model), a single Maserati (of any model) with anywhere close to that kind of mileage. They don't exist let alone that my XKR is still my daily driver, has been pulleyed and tuned to about 600hp, been tracked dozens of time, and is still a pleasure to drive every day. This Jag will never leave my ownership.

Old 05-09-2023, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Negative comments about the reliability of Jaguars generally come from those who have never owned one (or even driven one) but “have heard” that they are unreliable. I have owned many Jaguars; every one of them has been very reliable. The one BMW I owned, however, was an entirely different and very sad story.

Portlander (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:59 PM
Cgo
Received 234 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
…if this reviewer likes it or hates it…Lol

Are the indicated constant rattles, not working backup camera, and unresponsive touch screen comments a common experience with these cars? As someone who is currently awaiting a 2024 allocation, I’m just curious. None of this shakes my interest in the car in the slightest. I’m a realist. No car is going to be perfect.

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...duction-review
No idea what they're talking about. Mine is a 2021 FTR. No rattles, etc. I did have a common issue of one of the radar sensors for the blind spot and reverse braking assist going bad after about 20 miles of owning the car which was replaced under warranty. Zero issues since. I've had other sports and performance cars, but this feels like a luxury car in normal, putting around mode. Besides, I wouldn't hear rattles anyway since the exhaust sound is all I hear. Same with complaints about the stereo system which to me is quite good once you play with the settings. I usually have it turned off so I can listen to the exhaust music.

Definitely pull the active exhaust fuse as soon as you get the car. Wide open gets the crackles and pops back like older models. Lol

Portlander (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 06:44 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

What number fuse for the active exhaust, I need to do it for my current FTR? Never mind, I decide to not be lazy and find the post on my own : )

Last edited by Portlander; 05-10-2023 at 06:49 AM.
Cgo (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
Negative comments about the reliability of Jaguars generally come from those who have never owned one (or even driven one) but “have heard” that they are unreliable. I have owned many Jaguars; every one of them has been very reliable. The one BMW I owned, however, was an entirely different and very sad story.
I mean, I don't doubt that there is some truth the the general reliability stats of JLR relative to other manufacturers, but my impression is that the F-Type bucks the trend a bit given that it hasn't changed a ton over the years, has been consistently refined/improved etc...

I have friend who had an Audi A4 that was an absolute disaster. The entire engine needed to either be replaced or rebuilt or something...burned massive amounts of oil...The problems you read about some of these BMW cars makes the F-type sounds like a good proposition.

The same friend that had the A4 had a Jag XE. It was literally perfect the entire 4 years he had it. I think it was leased and returned. He also has a 2009 Aston Martin Vantage which has basically given him no problems, so go figure.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Last week when my 5.0L XKR passed the 199,000 mile marker, and has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in 55 years of driving, i just laugh at the those poking fun at modern Jaguar reliability. I would bet that you can't find a single modern Aston (of any model), a single Maserati (of any model) with anywhere close to that kind of mileage. They don't exist let alone that my XKR is still my daily driver, has been pulleyed and tuned to about 600hp, been tracked dozens of time, and is still a pleasure to drive every day. This Jag will never leave my ownership.
Pretty darn impressive for sure. Nice.

tberg (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 08:29 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

If you are waiting for an allocation on a 2024 F Type you can buy one with confidence. The issues with things like the supercharger cooling pipes was resolved many years ago. My 2021 has no squeaks or rattles.

I do have an issue that the navigation system will not connect to the internet and the dealer wanted to tear apart the overhead console, center console and panel behind the seat to determine where the fault is. I declined the repair. The navigation works fine but doesn't give real time traffic updates or show 3D views. Not a big deal as those features are available on pretty much any cell phone and can be displayed on the infotainment screen via Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

Don't expect long tire life. Stay on top of the maintenance even though you will get free scheduled maintenance for the first 5 years. As others suggested, get a CTEK battery maintainer. And don't expect features like adaptive cruise control or a heads up display which are pretty much standard on many cars costing half as much these days.

But you can expect to have a big smile on your face whenever you drive it and also expect to get lots of compliments whenever you stop somewhere. Oh, and lots of helpful folks are here on this forum should you have any questions.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
No idea what they're talking about. Mine is a 2021 FTR. No rattles, etc. I did have a common issue of one of the radar sensors for the blind spot and reverse braking assist going bad after about 20 miles of owning the car which was replaced under warranty. Zero issues since. I've had other sports and performance cars, but this feels like a luxury car in normal, putting around mode. Besides, I wouldn't hear rattles anyway since the exhaust sound is all I hear. Same with complaints about the stereo system which to me is quite good once you play with the settings. I usually have it turned off so I can listen to the exhaust music.

Definitely pull the active exhaust fuse as soon as you get the car. Wide open gets the crackles and pops back like older models. Lol
Again, I don't doubt it's true, but yeah...Lots of people like yourself have not, and will not, have that experience I'm sure.

I'm definitely not under any illusions that any car will be perfect. Even the LC500, you read on the forums they are having all kinds of little weird problems, despite the stellar reputation of Toyota/Lexus. Mileage will vary with any product.

I'm not looking for perfect, and a few problems here and there won't cramp my style too much given that any F-type I own will not be relied on as a daily driver. It will be a summer fun machine only. Even if it was a bit more than one would typically like for problems I'd probably put up with it. I like the car that much.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Pulled fuse 15 for the active exhaust which was located in the left fuse box in the engine compartment, NOT in the left side of the cargo hatch as I read on another post. Sounds better and my console exhaust button flashes and goes off so I guess everything is good. My FTR build date was February 2021.

BruceTheQuail (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
If you are waiting for an allocation on a 2024 F Type you can buy one with confidence. The issues with things like the supercharger cooling pipes was resolved many years ago. My 2021 has no squeaks or rattles.

I do have an issue that the navigation system will not connect to the internet and the dealer wanted to tear apart the overhead console, center console and panel behind the seat to determine where the fault is. I declined the repair. The navigation works fine but doesn't give real time traffic updates or show 3D views. Not a big deal as those features are available on pretty much any cell phone and can be displayed on the infotainment screen via Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

Don't expect long tire life. Stay on top of the maintenance even though you will get free scheduled maintenance for the first 5 years. As others suggested, get a CTEK battery maintainer. And don't expect features like adaptive cruise control or a heads up display which are pretty much standard on many cars costing half as much these days.

But you can expect to have a big smile on your face whenever you drive it and also expect to get lots of compliments whenever you stop somewhere. Oh, and lots of helpful folks are here on this forum should you have any questions.
Yeah, I think I would have avoided that repair as well for sure. I'm not a fan of built in nav systems.

Unfortunately here in Canada we do not have complimentary maintenance. At minimum I will be doing my own oil changes, but I probably will end up doing pretty much anything that I can myself within reason. If I can avoid a dealer visit I will.

Yeah, I'm buying the car for other reasons than tech. Tech is not the focus, so I could care less that I don't have 360 cameras and the latest this and that...Not an issue for me at all. I'm happy with less tech myself. If I was focusing on tech I would probably buy the new 2024 version of the LC500, but that car doesn't have the elements that are more important to me...The more brash vibe of the F-type R, better performance, better look (my opinion)...

Old 05-11-2023, 04:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Whilst there are many variables engine, age, servicing and whilst I agree perceptions are hard to shake……this reputable UK magazine rates the F-type reliability quite high in the sports car category.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-wh...ts-cars/n23413

Kev

Portlander (05-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Not sure