Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 09:39 PM
Cgo
Received 234 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
If you are waiting for an allocation on a 2024 F Type you can buy one with confidence. The issues with things like the supercharger cooling pipes was resolved many years ago. My 2021 has no squeaks or rattles.

I do have an issue that the navigation system will not connect to the internet and the dealer wanted to tear apart the overhead console, center console and panel behind the seat to determine where the fault is. I declined the repair. The navigation works fine but doesn't give real time traffic updates or show 3D views. Not a big deal as those features are available on pretty much any cell phone and can be displayed on the infotainment screen via Apple Car Play or Android Auto.

Don't expect long tire life. Stay on top of the maintenance even though you will get free scheduled maintenance for the first 5 years. As others suggested, get a CTEK battery maintainer. And don't expect features like adaptive cruise control or a heads up display which are pretty much standard on many cars costing half as much these days.

But you can expect to have a big smile on your face whenever you drive it and also expect to get lots of compliments whenever you stop somewhere. Oh, and lots of helpful folks are here on this forum should you have any questions.
Mine is a 2021 and only has 3 years of free maintenance. How did you get 5? Lol

Yeah, its definitely got some older tech and lacks some that come standard on Hyundais these days. However, it has more soul than most cars on the road. I'll trade that techie stuff just for the sound alone. At least the sound of an R.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:09 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Cgo, you are correct about the warranty. I was probably thinking of my Mazda CX 5 which has a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty although it doesn't cover any scheduled maintenance. The Jaguar warranty is 3 years, 100,000 Km.

My brother bought a Porsche Cayman last year and only got the first scheduled maintenance for free. He told me that the next one which includes an oil & filter change will cost about $1200. Yikes !

Old 05-12-2023, 07:52 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

The new car warranty on a Jaguar is 5 years and 60,000 miles which includes free maintenance as I just had my second oil change done yesterday. Were you meaning 3 years of free maintenance or am I missing something?

Old 05-12-2023, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

I agree with Portlander.
5 years / 60K and free maintenance for 5 years on my 2021
It was key buying decision factor for me.
Are you in the US Cgo?
If so you should have the same coverage.

Last edited by CJSJAG; 05-12-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:06 AM

Cgo is in New Hampshire and maybe he meant that his 2021 has 3 years remaining on it's warranty?

Old 05-12-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

My 2015 came with a card that said "content by country of origin: 51% German." We drive cars with the best of German engineering and electronics and a British Soul.
My first Jaguar was a 1963 Mk.2 and I had a good case of "Jaguar Driver's Hands" -- calloused palms, oil under my fingernails. Electrical systems were really bad until Ford bought the Company and sorted them out. This is all ancient history now.
My F-Type 2015 I ordered new now has 45,000 miles. Issues have been confined to the well-documented coolant leaks from the plastic manifolds. Car has been fantastic to own and drive. If I keep the car past year 10 I'll consider dropping the motor for a proper service: new injectors, gaskets, plugs, water-pump.... "Service free" supercharger does like an oil-change and we have better coolant pipes available now than we did when the cars were new. I have every expectation now, in my 8th year of ownership, of trouble-free driving after a refresh.
My car is F-Type S V6 and I do use Dynamic mode often, this is a well-engineered car built with quality components. If I drove less like a Villain my tires would last a lot longer. Brakes have held up impressively long times too. Let's bury the old tropes about Jaguar reliability....

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
jcb-memphis (05-12-2023), scm (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 11:24 AM
Received 260 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
My 2015 came with a card that said "content by country of origin: 51% German." We drive cars with the best of German engineering and electronics and a British Soul.
My first Jaguar was a 1963 Mk.2 and I had a good case of "Jaguar Driver's Hands" -- calloused palms, oil under my fingernails. Electrical systems were really bad until Ford bought the Company and sorted them out. This is all ancient history now.
My F-Type 2015 I ordered new now has 45,000 miles. Issues have been confined to the well-documented coolant leaks from the plastic manifolds. Car has been fantastic to own and drive. If I keep the car past year 10 I'll consider dropping the motor for a proper service: new injectors, gaskets, plugs, water-pump.... "Service free" supercharger does like an oil-change and we have better coolant pipes available now than we did when the cars were new. I have every expectation now, in my 8th year of ownership, of trouble-free driving after a refresh.
My car is F-Type S V6 and I do use Dynamic mode often, this is a well-engineered car built with quality components. If I drove less like a Villain my tires would last a lot longer. Brakes have held up impressively long times too. Let's bury the old tropes about Jaguar reliability....

no rattles
no issues
I replaced coolant pipes, did plugs, and have no issues (while there belts, water pump, other stuff...put LED light bulbs in for 40 dollars and carplay for 300ish)....
brakes are at 50% at 58k miles per my mechanic and I drive it
only fixed rusty bottom crossmembers...

funny - over 50% german (the electronics and brains...the stuff Lucas used to do that actually did affect reliability) - save the crossmembers that are bolt on/off things, zero issues. In fact, far more reliable tha prior Porsche's ....this car is as well made as anything at the same price point - if you think Toyota is reliable, it is, but it is typically overbuilt and not stressed so normally not that much fun... two pulleys and software (VAP) and e85 (and a sensor) and you get 550hp/493ft lbs out of a 3L engine that sounds like 1970's F1 and is 100-200lbs or so lighter than the v8...life does not get much better. Plan is to chop weight off the rotors soon and be even more happy.

The F type is also slightly above average looking ...... and it doesn't effect negativity like a Porsche, Vette, or BMW.....oddly those all get "dislike" from the average joie...this, people always feel they need to compliment me...I just pay the bills is my retort...they were designed by geniuses, not me.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 05-12-2023 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 07:03 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
no rattles
no issues
I replaced coolant pipes, did plugs, and have no issues (while there belts, water pump, other stuff...put LED light bulbs in for 40 dollars and carplay for 300ish)....
brakes are at 50% at 58k miles per my mechanic and I drive it
only fixed rusty bottom crossmembers...

funny - over 50% german (the electronics and brains...the stuff Lucas used to do that actually did affect reliability) - save the crossmembers that are bolt on/off things, zero issues. In fact, far more reliable tha prior Porsche's ....this car is as well made as anything at the same price point - if you think Toyota is reliable, it is, but it is typically overbuilt and not stressed so normally not that much fun... two pulleys and software (VAP) and e85 (and a sensor) and you get 550hp/493ft lbs out of a 3L engine that sounds like 1970's F1 and is 100-200lbs or so lighter than the v8...life does not get much better. Plan is to chop weight off the rotors soon and be even more happy.

The F type is also slightly above average looking ...... and it doesn't effect negativity like a Porsche, Vette, or BMW.....oddly those all get "dislike" from the average joie...this, people always feel they need to compliment me...I just pay the bills is my retort...they were designed by geniuses, not me.
Do you drive your car in the winter? I keep hearing about this cross member problem.

I have seen some references somewhere that seemed to suggest that newer cars come with updated cross members that will not exhibit the same problems? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 05-13-2023, 08:22 AM

Well now I'm confused regarding the warranty. In the back of my mind I had thought it was 5 years/50,000 miles with scheduled maintenance for the five year period. I pulled the data regarding 3 years/100,000 Km from the online owners manual.

When I bought the car they tried to upsell an extended warranty package that was offered in 4 levels ranging from Silver to Platinum which I declined. The handwritten sheet from the finance guy says "Covered 5/60 Limited" and then shows things like tires & wheel protection, windshield protection, key protection and dent protection under the optional coverages.

I went through the folder containing all of the documents I received the day I took possession of the car and don't see any standard warranty information. However I just found this online on the Jaguar USA Official Site under the Jaguar Owner Support section/ Jaguar Elite Care: 2016 and newer vehicles feature Jaguar EliteCare, our best in class, 5-year/60,000-mile coverage, which includes a New Vehicle Limited Warranty, complimentary scheduled maintenance and roadside assistance, plus the extraordinary Jaguar InControl® Remote and Protect™ technology.* For complete details on your Jaguar vehicle’s coverage, please visit your Jaguar Retailer or review the Passport to Service.

Here is the link:

https://www.jaguarusa.com/ownership/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 05-13-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Where are you based? It varies by country. In the USA it's 5 year, 60k miles of warranty. And included 5 years maintenance (which if I remember right means last maintenance is after year 4 (which runs you to 5 years before you need to do any). That maintenance coverage transfers if you buy it used

The following 2 users liked this post by BritCars:
Portlander (05-13-2023), Thunder Dump (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:33 AM

This is from the official Jaguar site. Took my 2021 into the dealer on Thursday for the 2nd free maintenance and was assured that I still have 41 months remaining on my warranty. Hope this helps.

Dwight Frye (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:38 AM

Thanks Portlander ! I may be getting old but my memory is still pretty good and I was sure that it was 5 years and either 50,000 or 60,000 miles with scheduled maintenance included. I had remembered that being a good selling point when I was researching the vehicle prior to purchase.

Portlander (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:42 AM

A little more reassurance. Jaguar is ranked #6 overall for its new vehicle warranty. The top ranked manufacturers (Genesis, Hyundai) offer 10 year powertrain coverage where JLR does not.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts
Old 05-13-2023, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
The F type is also slightly above average looking ...... and it doesn't effect negativity like a Porsche, Vette, or BMW.....oddly those all get "dislike" from the average joe...this, people always feel they need to compliment me...they were designed by geniuses, not me.
I think the F-Type is the most beautiful car ever built. Worthy successors to the 60 year-old E-Type. OK, I'm biased, I'm lucky enough to own one. I might have put the Aston Martin DB9, 10 or 11 on the the throne but the DBX707 is such a hideous thing on so many levels it's turned me off the marque.

Older friend(s) and acquaintances of my wife make disparaging remarks about wasteful impracticality or "mid-life crisis cars" - they are not my friends, and never will be. I've always had sports cars and the fact that the rated capacity of a $100,000 F-Type is in the range of 420 lb is just hilarious to me. Automotive art they are (standing still and in motion) and some people will never get it, not my kind of people.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I think the F-Type is the most beautiful car ever built. Worthy successors to the 60 year-old E-Type. OK, I'm biased, I'm lucky enough to own one. I might have put the Aston Martin DB9, 10 or 11 on the the throne but the DBX707 is such a hideous thing on so many levels it's turned me off the marque.
An Aston is a rich man's Jaguar!

Older friend(s) and acquaintances of my wife make disparaging remarks about wasteful impracticality or "mid-life crisis cars" - they are not my friends, and never will be.
My F-Type is a perfectly practical family car. For my family.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:23 AM

My sports cars have always been 2-seaters. When my wife and I had our first child, she said "you should probably sell it, we can't put the kids in it." After child #2 was born she was quite happy to have a 2-seater sports-car in the family with no room for the kids and enjoyed driving away with me on short holidays in the car, waving "bye bye" to the kids.

The following 2 users liked this post by TR64ever:
Dwight Frye (05-14-2023), scm (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 11:57 AM
Received 260 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Do you drive your car in the winter? I keep hearing about this cross member problem.

I have seen some references somewhere that seemed to suggest that newer cars come with updated cross members that will not exhibit the same problems? Can anyone confirm or deny?
Early cars had steel that was not coated or of a high enough quality to stand up to things. It is well documented in a YouTube video on the F-type by savagegeese. Newer years have good steel - so no issues. I bought those new parts. And am preventing rust via a standard spray coating I do myself...it is working well. Definitely not a big deal if you address it early and take care of things. Bolts. Labord yes/time...but not a big deal at all.

Contemporary 991.1's are showing bore scoring...that is a bigger issue by far...30k or so if you are lucky....there is a myth out there that these are not reliable cars. The F-types are super well done. The same myth inverse is that Porsche's are super reliable. They are not (993c4s and 996gt2 owner in the past...both were costly and per the club "normal" in that regard in all respects.....).

Old 05-13-2023, 12:13 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
…if this reviewer likes it or hates it…Lol

Are the indicated constant rattles, not working backup camera, and unresponsive touch screen comments a common experience with these cars? As someone who is currently awaiting a 2024 allocation, I’m just curious. None of this shakes my interest in the car in the slightest. I’m a realist. No car is going to be perfect.

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...duction-review
Interesting that you’re waiting on an allocation for a 2024 in Ontario. I just purchased in SW Ontario, was looking for an FTR in BRG (love the acronyms lol). I originally called and asked what the wait would be for this in a ragtop but my dealer had 2 - 2023 FTR Convertibles in BRG (also one Coupé). I drove down and did eenie meenie miney mo. They had Blues, and reds available too. I suppose you could have your heart set on the last model year or Sage Green?

Speaking on reliability or “Fit and Finish” compared to other sports cars, I traded a beautiful ‘19 Camaro ZL1. That was a beast of a car but savage. The FTR is 0.1 seconds slower to 60, but so much more smooth and refined - if you want it to be. The Jag can be your dads plush old caddy if you want it, or quick and nimble if you want that. Best of both worlds I suppose. The Camaro was nothing but savage. Awesome, but savage.

My sample size on the FTR is too small to comment on reliability, but the Camaro was perfect. No issues in fit and finish whatsoever, and the Camaro gets beat up on reliability too.

My $0.02.

Old 05-13-2023, 12:58 PM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Pupilbone
Interesting that you’re waiting on an allocation for a 2024 in Ontario. I just purchased in SW Ontario, was looking for an FTR in BRG (love the acronyms lol). I originally called and asked what the wait would be for this in a ragtop but my dealer had 2 - 2023 FTR Convertibles in BRG (also one Coupé). I drove down and did eenie meenie miney mo. They had Blues, and reds available too. I suppose you could have your heart set on the last model year or Sage Green?

Speaking on reliability or “Fit and Finish” compared to other sports cars, I traded a beautiful ‘19 Camaro ZL1. That was a beast of a car but savage. The FTR is 0.1 seconds slower to 60, but so much more smooth and refined - if you want it to be. The Jag can be your dads plush old caddy if you want it, or quick and nimble if you want that. Best of both worlds I suppose. The Camaro was nothing but savage. Awesome, but savage.

My sample size on the FTR is too small to comment on reliability, but the Camaro was perfect. No issues in fit and finish whatsoever, and the Camaro gets beat up on reliability too.

My $0.02.
Yeah, I'm specifically looking to get one of the final year special edition Rs. Heavily leaning towards that Giola Green colour that has only been made available for these final model year special edition cars.

Those ZL1 Camaros do look pretty cool, but it's just not my vibe. Not really into American muscle myself. Again, they are nice, but just not for me.

Quick Reply: Not sure