F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now this odd…anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 05:34 PM
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Now this odd…anyone else?

Hi, a couple of times I have put it in park and the engine shuts down. Odd enough that I question did I hit the start stop button without realizing it?? I am 55 after all I don’t believe I did.

This morning after a brief visit I got back in the car and it started on its own as soon as I was half way in. I looked at my wife with a storage look as in did I do this?

Once again I don’t believe I did as I had my phone in my right hand and my normal routine would be to put the phone in its holder and then hit the button.

Of course I am doubting myself and figure I hit the button without realizing it but I don’t believe so.

Anyone else have had this happen?

2020 R

Thanks

Old 06-18-2022, 05:42 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Does your car have remote start? Seems like something that needs to be figured out before it's no longer simply entertaining, but dangerous.

Last edited by kb58; 06-18-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:21 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
Hi, a couple of times I have put it in park and the engine shuts down. Odd enough that I question did I hit the start stop button without realizing it?? I am 55 after all I don’t believe I did.

This morning after a brief visit I got back in the car and it started on its own as soon as I was half way in. I looked at my wife with a storage look as in did I do this?

Once again I don’t believe I did as I had my phone in my right hand and my normal routine would be to put the phone in its holder and then hit the button.

Of course I am doubting myself and figure I hit the button without realizing it but I don’t believe so.

Anyone else have had this happen?

2020 R

Thanks
your jaguar app wasn't open on your phone was it? You can remote start your car with your phone.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
your jaguar app wasn't open on your phone was it? You can remote start your car with your phone.
It's difficult to do that accidentally though, since you have to input a 4 digit PIN before it'll send the start command to the car.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:14 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Doesn’t Start/Stop default to On? It quite clearly sounds like Start/Stop is what’s doing this.

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 06:27 AM

Apart from the app it doesn’t have remote start. The app certainly wasn’t on so it may have something to do with the start/stop button??

Of course it is intermittent so the dealer may have trouble duplicating it.

I will watch for it so if it happens again I will be sure it wasn’t me.

Thanks for your help and if I do have the dealer look at it I will update the thread

Old 06-19-2022, 07:19 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

I think that post number 5 in this thread (by DJS) is sending you in the right direction. With auto start/stop, the car shuts down the engine at times to save fuel. It will restart itself when you either take your foot off of the brake, or if the car needs to run the engine to maintain the correct climate settings (A/C on) or if the battery begins to drain a little. The auto start/stop has a button that you can press to disable the feature, but it will reset itself to come back on every time you shut off the car. See the illuminated "A" button in the photo below. That is what is likely starting and stopping the engine. When you turn the car off, you will still need to push the stop button even if the engine has stopped running, or the engine will turn itself back on.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:36 AM

Hi and not to sound like an *** but I am well aware of how the feature works as ive had it on several cars and this one for 3 years

As in my first post the car has instantly shut itself off when Ive put it in park ….not stopped at a light in D.

Also as stated the car started its self before I was fully in it after it had been off for an hour. I did not hit the start button but as soon as the car recognized the key was in the car. It is intermittent so difficult to duplicate.

When it happens again I will be sure to take it to the dealer.

winstonsalemncxk (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 07:45 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

When the car started itself, were you pressing the brake? If the car is totally off, the engine will not come on unless the brake is pressed. It sounds like you were not pressing the brake, and that's why I suspected that the car wasn't actually off but that the engine had turned itself off with the start/stop feature.

Having owned the car for three years, it sounds like you are familiar with the start/stop feature, so I didn't mean to dumb things down, just thinking with the principle of Sutton's Law and starting with the obvious.

If it isn't related to start/stop, then you have a big safety concern to deal with. Good luck as you continue to troubleshoot it.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:10 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Is it possible the button was sticky and on and maybe you tapped the brake pedal getting in? Grasping at straws here.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:15 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I don’t think there’s any question that it’s Start/Stop that did this, but it should have turned off the ignition when you removed your seatbelt, or perhaps opened the door - not sure how it’s changed since ‘14. Mine would do a hard shutdown if ECO (Start/Stop) was on and I removed my seatbelt (presumably in Park.) It wouldn’t finish closing the roof, etc, and I could no longer operate the roof in accessory mode - had to start the engine to operate the roof. Glad my ECO battery died years ago!

Old 06-19-2022, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
When the car started itself, were you pressing the brake? If the car is totally off, the engine will not come on unless the brake is pressed. It sounds like you were not pressing the brake, and that's why I suspected that the car wasn't actually off but that the engine had turned itself off with the start/stop feature.

Having owned the car for three years, it sounds like you are familiar with the start/stop feature, so I didn't mean to dumb things down, just thinking with the principle of Sutton's Law and starting with the obvious.

If it isn't related to start/stop, then you have a big safety concern to deal with. Good luck as you continue to troubleshoot it.
When it started by itself it had been off for about an hour. I wasn’t even seated or anywhere near the brake when it started on its own. I was half way to sitting down and hadn’t touched anything.

Strange indeed and I will wait until something happens again before i take it in.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Before you take it to the dealer, why not simply disable the start/stop function (as so many of us have done - disconnecting it has no other effect on the operation of the car)? Disconnecting it will at least tell you if the odd behaviour is related to this system or not.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the car have remote start ability with the Jaguar app? From a cyber perspective it is highly feasible a sleuth hacker could have.have gained access to your remote start app. Not saying this is the case, but it is feasible.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:55 PM

I may disconnect the stop start but Im always weary of doing anything while its under warranty.

Being intermittent and rare it would be hard to tell for a while what the problem is.

This is one of those rare electrical gremlins…

Old 06-20-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
I may disconnect the stop start but Im always weary of doing anything while its under warranty.

Being intermittent and rare it would be hard to tell for a while what the problem is.

This is one of those rare electrical gremlins…

No need to be wary of disconnecting the start/stop function. It is easy! And it will tell you whether the (annoying) start/stop system is the culprit. Do it. If the oroblem disappears, then you have found the guilty party. Since disconnecting the system has NO effect on any other function, there is no reason not to do it.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2018 R so I don't know if this will be of any value to you. My shop is fenced in with a gate, I start the car, drive out onto the street and park the car to close the gate. When the AC is turned off, I have noticed when I stop the car and get out, the car shuts off. When I get back in the car as soon as my rear touches the seat the car starts back up. I do not touch the brake or the start button, the door is still open when the car starts. I also noticed that when I arrive home and pull the car in the garage and put the car in park it shuts off by itself, the windows and locks still work like I have the car in accessory mode. I have to push the stop button to fully shut down the car. This only happens when the Auto Start Stop is engaged, and the AC is off.
You did not say whether you had the AC on or not, but I could imagine that when you stopped for your brief visit that the car shut off by itself and you did not push the stop button thinking that you did because the car is off. When you got back in the car started itself because you never actually shut the car off.

sov211 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:04 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Having any car unexpectedly start can't be a good thing. What's hard to say is whether the OP has discovered a bug (what's called a "corner case" in software), or if there's an odd problem in one of the modules. If no one else has experienced this, it seems more likely to be the latter.

Last edited by kb58; 06-21-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by colormegone
I have a 2018 R so I don't know if this will be of any value to you. My shop is fenced in with a gate, I start the car, drive out onto the street and park the car to close the gate. When the AC is turned off, I have noticed when I stop the car and get out, the car shuts off. When I get back in the car as soon as my rear touches the seat the car starts back up. I do not touch the brake or the start button, the door is still open when the car starts. I also noticed that when I arrive home and pull the car in the garage and put the car in park it shuts off by itself, the windows and locks still work like I have the car in accessory mode. I have to push the stop button to fully shut down the car. This only happens when the Auto Start Stop is engaged, and the AC is off.
You did not say whether you had the AC on or not, but I could imagine that when you stopped for your brief visit that the car shut off by itself and you did not push the stop button thinking that you did because the car is off. When you got back in the car started itself because you never actually shut the car off.
This could be the problem so I will be more aware on how/when I turn it off. The AC was on as I keep it in auto climate when the roof is up.

winstonsalemncxk (06-21-2022)