F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor Replacement, Dealer No Longer Offers Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 04:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Replacement, Dealer No Longer Offers Loaner

Hi all, I called my local (NE Ohio) dealership to handle (another) O2 sensor replacement on my '16 R, and was informed that they now do not provide loaners for folks who did not purchase the vehicle at their location.
I've been having it serviced there since bought out of state in 2020, multiple things covered under the CPO warranty, and since I live 40 minutes away the loaner service was a godsend.

Maybe I'm naive...but if this is a fault covered under the extended warranty, should it not also cover a loaner or rental for the time the car is down?

Old 08-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Received 282 Likes on 212 Posts

In Australia, we have "Australian Consumer Law warranty" which is where the law says "All products should last a reasonable amount of time" and your right to repair/replacement/refund is enshrined in legislation... then we have "Extended warranty" which is a contract you enter into with the car manufacturer and is not a right under law. Your laws will differ somewhat, but I'd be fairly certain that your extended warranty is a contract rather than a legal right.

If the extended warranty contract states that a loaner car will be provided, then they would be required to provide one (although you may have to point it out in the contract if their policy contradicts the contract). If it doesn't, then the decision is theirs.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:17 PM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jlewis10
Hi all, I called my local (NE Ohio) dealership to handle (another) O2 sensor replacement on my '16 R, and was informed that they now do not provide loaners for folks who did not purchase the vehicle at their location.
I've been having it serviced there since bought out of state in 2020, multiple things covered under the CPO warranty, and since I live 40 minutes away the loaner service was a godsend.

Maybe I'm naive...but if this is a fault covered under the extended warranty, should it not also cover a loaner or rental for the time the car is down?
Dealers are independent businesses who perform a service for the manufacturer. Dealers set their own loaner policies and it is in no way tied to any JLR or warranty requirements. There is only one dealer near me that still offers loaners to service customers, even if they did not buy the car there. However, that soon could change because with Jaguar going 100% high-end electric, most dealers aren't going to have vehicles available to loan.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

My dealers don't do loaners any more but provide Uber for home and back.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

This may be an increasing trend, especially since many of the Jaguar dealers are becoming "former" dealers. My "local" dealer (ie 25 miles away) also stopped providing loaners as they became a LR-only dealer. They'll gladly take our money (and JLR's for warranty work), but they're not very motivated to engender loyalty.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nicely put uncheel.

I believe they SHOULD provide loaners for service work; probably not for a headlamp or windshield wiper change, but for substantive work absolutely.

"Required" to provide a loaner? Meh, maybe not but at some point they do want return business I would hope. Mine needed brakes; the dealer wanted twice as much as my reputable indy shop AND scoffed at my query about a loaner car. Made my decision easy.