Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD port/WayLens Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Owning up to a non-safety related fault would cost JLR too much $$$. It's there, its not going anywhere, and we have to accept it and adapt.
I'm going to be doing some testing tonight. I believe the recent "free enhancements" service campaign resolved the issue for me.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Owning up to a non-safety related fault would cost JLR too much $$$. It's there, its not going anywhere, and we have to accept it and adapt.
This.

I will adapt by not using it. I suspect, with the complexity of the modern electrical systems, it's not good to detach the ground all the time and reset the system? Or is objectionably okay to do that without harming the car?

Also, a philosophical discussion about cams.... I know they might be great for an insurance claim, but legally can my camera be used against me, or would an officer have a right to take it as evidence? Also, I am not so sure why I would want to be relating my speed on an overlay and then posting online. I love to post driving vids, but that might be "stupid". Not sure you could get after the fact tix??

Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This.

I will adapt by not using it. I suspect, with the complexity of the modern electrical systems, it's not good to detach the ground all the time and reset the system? Or is objectionably okay to do that without harming the car?

Also, a philosophical discussion about cams.... I know they might be great for an insurance claim, but legally can my camera be used against me, or would an officer have a right to take it as evidence? Also, I am not so sure why I would want to be relating my speed on an overlay and then posting online. I love to post driving vids, but that might be "stupid". Not sure you could get after the fact tix??
I might be wrong on this....but most modern cars have a "black box" if you will, that will yield the cars telemetry in and around and "event" such as an accident. I believe an investigative warrant has to be obtained first.
CRS

Old 05-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

It *seems* that the letter people are getting about updates, which include "infotainment, updated engine software to improve 'robustness', and electrical updates to improve battery performance" SEEMINGLY resolved this issue. I'm setting up my appointment and will check back.

Also, a somewhat elegant powering solution for the Waylens on the accessories page for a constant charge connected to battery:
https://shop.waylens.com/collections/accessories/