F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD Reader Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 03:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OBD Reader Disconnect

So I had the OBD reader battery drain issue - thanks to the forum I knew what to do and got it resolved. But one thing I have not found here is the correct procedure for disconnecting the OBD reader so it does not cause the problem. Since it was the dealer that caused the problem and I am taking it in for service this week I want to - gently - remind them of the issue. I am sure they will be very appreciative.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

They need to "Close" the session before disconnecting.

DC

Old 01-19-2022, 05:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, I assumed it would be something simple.
I also assumed the dealer would know what he was doing.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WCats
Thanks, I assumed it would be something simple.
I also assumed the dealer would know what he was doing.
Yeah. You would think!!?? If my Dumb @ss can figure that out....They should be able to, with their Tech Training

DC

Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

DC can you describe in detail steps how to "close" the OBD session before disconnecting???

Old 01-24-2022, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chasers03
DC can you describe in detail steps how to "close" the OBD session before disconnecting???
Sure. I am specifically referring to the SDD - JLR Software I use (and dealers).

Screenshot:

DC

Old 01-24-2022, 10:15 AM

Thanks DC however I thought we were talking about typical OBD Reader Disconnects not JLR dealer software and how to close their SDD JLR diagnostics. I am looking for the holy grail I guess of how to make a typical owner OBDII reader to close properly. Some do on their own and some don't it appears but the user has no part in the process....

Old 01-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks DC however I thought we were talking about typical OBD Reader Disconnects not JLR dealer software and how to close their SDD JLR diagnostics. I am looking for the holy grail I guess of how to make a typical owner OBDII reader to close properly. Some do on their own and some don't it appears but the user has no part in the process....
You are correct. Some will create no issues and some will...Not based on user input. I created a quick battery disconnect setup, and if I am ever uncertain, I just reset it...and then re-calibrate the hatch and windows...3 minutes.

DC

Old 01-24-2022, 11:56 AM

I installed your well documented disconnect [had to wrap it with zips] and it works great....Thanks. Hope I don't wear out my window motors:-).
My challenge is that I need to keep the Allstate dongle installed all the time I am driving [to get the Milewise discount] and it initiates the constant 2.5 amp battery drain, not from the device. This is no problem if I drive at least every other day especially since I installed the expensive Lithium AntiGravity battery.. It has a dead battery protection that will also protect me if I go on a vacation however I will just do your disconnect/reset and remove the Allstate dongle in this case. Our F-types are supposed to have this same built in battery protection, ie. Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] [page 176 of our manual] but apparently the famous parasitic load once latched bypasses it in some way???

Today I am going to try finding the source of the parasitic load by using a heat sensing gun pointing it a various fuses in the 5 locations on the car.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I installed your well documented disconnect [had to wrap it with zips] and it works great....Thanks. Hope I don't wear out my window motors:-).
My challenge is that I need to keep the Allstate dongle installed all the time I am driving [to get the Milewise discount] and it initiates the constant 2.5 amp battery drain, not from the device. This is no problem if I drive at least every other day especially since I installed the expensive Lithium AntiGravity battery.. It has a dead battery protection that will also protect me if I go on a vacation however I will just do your disconnect/reset and remove the Allstate dongle in this case. Our F-types are supposed to have this same built in battery protection, ie. Intelligent Power System Management [IPSM] [page 176 of our manual] but apparently the famous parasitic load once latched bypasses it in some way???

Today I am going to try finding the source of the parasitic load by using a heat sensing gun pointing it a various fuses in the 5 locations on the car.
Good luck with your efforts!

DC

Old 01-24-2022, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

MAYBE its time to change insurance companies?

SOME companies have featured Jaaaags...Couldn't find the commercial I remembered...