Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD and State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts
Red face OBD and State Inspection

Just wanted to add an observation after getting my local dealer to do my state inspection instead of the drive by shop. In Texas they plug into the obd port to run emissions check instead of tailpipe and we all know that can give the car insomnia and a dead battery a day later. Even had this after a routine service where SDD has been plugged into the car as part of the software scan.

Anyway today after the inspection finished I noticed that the service advisor removed a card from the dash with a reminder that after inspections on F Types the vehicle should be reset. Not sure if that was the procedure in SDD or they do what we all do and briefly disconnect the battery. But in any case, my car is now asleep in my garage, the warning triangle is out and I don’t expect the dreaded battery drain and jump start requirement in a couple of days.

Someone must have been reading our forum posts

Old 12-31-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Just wanted to add an observation after getting my local dealer to do my state inspection instead of the drive by shop. In Texas they plug into the obd port to run emissions check instead of tailpipe and we all know that can give the car insomnia and a dead battery a day later. Even had this after a routine service where SDD has been plugged into the car as part of the software scan.

Anyway today after the inspection finished I noticed that the service advisor removed a card from the dash with a reminder that after inspections on F Types the vehicle should be reset. Not sure if that was the procedure in SDD or they do what we all do and briefly disconnect the battery. But in any case, my car is now asleep in my garage, the warning triangle is out and I don’t expect the dreaded battery drain and jump start requirement in a couple of days.

Someone must have been reading our forum posts
You should never get a battery drain condition after using SDD...If that occurred, it means the tech just unplugged the OBDII when done, and did not "Close the session". Just FYI.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
You should never get a battery drain condition after using SDD...If that occurred, it means the tech just unplugged the OBDII when done, and did not "Close the session". Just FYI.

DC
I think the State Inspection machines aren’t so kind…

Old 12-31-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I think the State Inspection machines aren’t so kind…
Oh yes...Most ODBII tools do not close the session properly (some do). I was referring to this statement "Even had this after a routine service where SDD has been plugged into the car as part of the software scan."

DC

Old 12-31-2021, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
Oh yes...Most ODBII tools do not close the session properly (some do). I was referring to this statement "Even had this after a routine service where SDD has been plugged into the car as part of the software scan."

DC
i may have misremembered my last visit also included an Inspection but a few others have mentioned it on Facebook groups. I have discovered I can remedy the situation without removing the battery cables by connecting mi GAP IID tool and then selecting Disconnect from the menu. Guess it closes the session correctly like SDD.

Anyway I found it interesting that my dealer was being proactive with laminated cards.

Therock88 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

I remember raising the question about state inspection issues in the past, given that most are now done using an OBD connection. Strange (to me) was that there doesn't seem to be a pervasive battery drain problem after state inspections. The OBD issue seems to be driven by some tools vs others, and obviously whether the sessions are properly closed. So, something about the tools used by the states works well, or it's just that the testing procedure naturally causes the session to be properly terminated.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
I remember raising the question about state inspection issues in the past, given that most are now done using an OBD connection. Strange (to me) was that there doesn't seem to be a pervasive battery drain problem after state inspections. The OBD issue seems to be driven by some tools vs others, and obviously whether the sessions are properly closed. So, something about the tools used by the states works well, or it's just that the testing procedure naturally causes the session to be properly terminated.
Well when my local state inspection shop does it, I have to cure the resulting insomnia by removing the negative battery cable for a minute or two. So maybe there's an option to disconnect nicely but nobody uses it or maybe different states have different inspection machines...

As I said, I found it interesting that the Jag dealership had a stack of laminated cards ready for the F-Type (it said specifically F-Type in for state inspection).

Old 01-02-2022, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Here in Massachusetts the state inspection triggers the battery drain issue in my F Type. Quick unplug of the battery fixes it once a year!

Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Had my car inspected in NYS by a non JRL shop. Had to disconnect the negative terminal later that week to get rid of the battery drain per instructions from this forum. The car is new (to me). Next time I will ask them to terminate the session instead of just unplugging the terminal.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:07 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

My 2014 doesn’t suffer from this issue. Never had an issue with state inspections in MA - it’s had 9 of them.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert R Gilbert
Had my car inspected in NYS by a non JRL shop. Had to disconnect the negative terminal later that week to get rid of the battery drain per instructions from this forum. The car is new (to me). Next time I will ask them to terminate the session instead of just unplugging the terminal.
Likely they do not have the ability to close the session. Many OBDII devices do not have the ability to do that, thus the draining problem many have. You can ask them...But you should likely check afterwards anyway.

DC

Old 02-07-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should post what State and County you are registered in or it will be impossible to help you.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 423 Posts

I'll second the comment that knowing the location is rather important to help.

On the general topic, I always got my inspections done at the dealer while the cars were under warranty, since wear items weren't due yet, and anything else they could do under warranty.

Since then, I always get my inspections done at Jiffy Lube. I wouldn't personally trust them to even change my oil, but they don't want any part of working on a Jag, so I've never had them fail, or even "recommend" anything. (They do really like the cars, though.) One of their locations isn't all that busy, and I avoid going when inspections are due at the end of the month. In and out in 10 minutes.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:12 AM
Received 469 Likes on 188 Posts

What is this "state inspection" of which you people speak?

Old 02-08-2024, 08:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
What is this "state inspection" of which you people speak?
In California depending on which county your car is registered, vehicles have to pass a biannual smog check if they are newer than model year 1975 and older than 6 years. There are certain Zip Codes in certain counties that are exempt from testing. So are certain vehicles like motorcycles, older diesels, etc. Other states I have no idea although I have heard that some require safety inspections.
There all kinds of reasons they will fail you - for instance a check engine light will fail you no matter what the reason for the light is. Welcome to California.

Last edited by Chuckster; 02-08-2024 at 08:18 AM. Reason: additional information
peppersam740 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:00 AM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

In Pennsylvania there is an annual safety inspection. They check tires, brakes, light bulbs, windshield wipers, etc. In the more populous counties there is also an emissions inspection. They check tailpipe emission for that. Those that drive less than 5,000 miles a year are exempt from the emissions inspection.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:22 AM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

I think most of the CARB states require annual or bi-annual emissions testing and many of them require annual or bi-annual safety checks. CARB states are currently:
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • Washington

Old 02-08-2024, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Add Nevada!

Old 02-08-2024, 05:24 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Here in the Peoples Republik of Maryland, safety inspection is only required when changing ownership. And I don't think it even applies for cars with Historic plates. I got tags for my 31 Chevy by just going to a tag and title place and paying Maryland's exorbitant fees. That said, for an addl. $50 the state magnanimously gave me lifetime registration.

peppersam740 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Received 469 Likes on 188 Posts

In South Carolina we don't need no stinkin' safety or emissions inspections. And when I lived in Virginia I thought both processes were simply revenue enhancements under the guise of actually serving a useful purpose.

Quick Reply: OBD and State Inspection