F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 Gauge killing battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 10:18 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default OBD2 Gauge killing battery

So I purchased a banks idash gauge for the Jag last week. Great little gauge....allows me to watch boost, iat1&2, ECT eot, etc all on one screen. Unfortunately due to the Jags screwy obd port issue it drains my battery very quickly at night. I know the fix is to unhook the battery for a min after each use but obviously that's not sustainable. Anyone have any idea how to rig something to reset the obd port or battery after each drive? I love this car but christ is it fussy...

Old 03-22-2024, 10:26 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

There are posts on this forum somewhere about installing a battery cutoff switch to solve that problem. It is basically a switch that installs near one of the battery posts that disconnects the battery. I did a quick search but those posts are eluding me.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I post this a lot?
Take a look as it was the only one I could find that powers up and down automatically.
OBDLink MX+ about $140.
OBDLink MX+

Had it for a couple of years to use with Torque Pro and the custom Jaguar PID pack. Cheap as TP is only $5.
Can display a huge amount of data and custom PIDs are just what I wanted too!

What adapter are you currently using?

Old 03-22-2024, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by cpq100
There are posts on this forum somewhere about installing a battery cutoff switch to solve that problem. It is basically a switch that installs near one of the battery posts that disconnects the battery. I did a quick search but those posts are eluding me.
​​​​​​
Thanks, that was my thought as well but more as a last option than a first. May be the only one!

Old 03-22-2024, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I post this a lot?
Take a look as it was the only one I could find that powers up and down automatically.
OBDLink MX+ about $140.
OBDLink MX+

Had it for a couple of years to use with Torque Pro and the custom Jaguar PID pack. Cheap as TP is only $5.

It's not an adapter so much as a stand alone gauge. See here:

https://bankspower.com/products/elec...n-bus-vehicles

Old 03-22-2024, 10:52 AM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
It's not an adapter so much as a stand alone gauge. See here:

https://bankspower.com/products/elec...n-bus-vehicles
Would something like this work? It's essentially an extension with a switch.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Doc Oc (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sovande
Would something like this work? It's essentially an extension with a switch.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-Profil...0aAnTQEALw_wcB
That's a great find thanks! I bought it lol. I don't believe it's going to solve the issue but for $10 def worth a try. I think the issue is on the vehicle side though, where it leaves the circuit open even though the device has gone off....much like if you tune it through the obd port...so probably need something that will easily reset the battery moreso than the device....but worst case scenario that cord will allow me to keep the device off but still plugged in to the port which is also quite helpful.

Sovande (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is def the Jag, I have a banks iDash on my truck and it does not behave like this. I would like to install the iDash on the Jag as well, but the battery drain concern is real.

Doc Oc (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 11:40 AM
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

@clubairth1
Had it for a couple of years to use with Torque Pro and the custom Jaguar PID pack.
Did you ever use the HP display? I have the same model. I wonder how accurate it is.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mwinner
The problem is def the Jag, I have a banks iDash on my truck and it does not behave like this. I would like to install the iDash on the Jag as well, but the battery drain concern is real.
Bummer, such a handy gauge. Haven't learned half of what it displays yet but gotta fix this!

Old 03-22-2024, 11:53 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Maybe your truck powers down the OBD port after a period of non-use, whereas the Jag presumes if you've plugged something in to the port you want it to be live all the time.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

The Banks gauge has the same problem?
It uses the OBDII port to connect the gauge. The plug is shown in the pictures. That's why the gauge is draining your battery. It's not just a gauge. The gauge does the exact same thing my tablet does when I use Torque Pro. The difference is I use MX+ as the interface adapter and it's a smart device that powers up and down as the car is used. That's the magic sauce in the MX+.

I am not sure what the HP display is? TP is only Android so I use an 8" Android tablet. Mainly so I can see it better than a crappy phone.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:40 PM

I am not sure what the HP display is? TP is only Android so I use an 8" Android tablet. Mainly so I can see it better than a crappy phone.
HP = Horse Power
Just trying to figure out if it's accurate.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Maybe your truck powers down the OBD port after a period of non-use, whereas the Jag presumes if you've plugged something in to the port you want it to be live all the time.
Problem is when you unplug from the ODB with the Jag, the power is still draining from the ODB port thus requiring a battery reset.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 PM

Problem is when you unplug from the ODB with the Jag, the power is still draining from the ODB port thus requiring a battery reset.
And it drains quickly! I am currently on a road trip in the smokies and fully charged the battery before we left yesterday. Drove 4+ hours, woke up this morning and had the low batt warning. That's a significant drain and quite a blunder on JLR's part.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

I have not seen a HP output using TP?
If they did it would need to be an estimate at best as there is nothing in the car that measures torque?

It would be great if you could too! Just think you could do any mod to your car and immediately see if it increased the power or not.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:53 PM

I have not seen a HP output using TP?
If they did it would need to be an estimate at best as there is nothing in the car that measures torque?

It would be great if you could too! Just think you could do any mod to your car and immediately see if it increased the power or not.
I'm using the app for OBDLINK MX2. There is a gauge you can display that shows current horse power and one shows boost. I' m not sure how accurate it is or not. I did a run tonight and it registered about 575 hp but the boost registered at around 7.5 psi. One or both has to be off.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I post this a lot?
OBDLink MX+ about $140.
OBDLink MX+

I tried the OBD Link MX+ and it did cause the battery drain condition on my car, 2016 V6S. It’s a bummer because I’d very much like to have real temperature gauges.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Good to know as mine does not cause any current drain. But I have a different car too.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy
Ich habe den OBD Link MX+ ausprobiert und er hat bei meinem Auto, 2016 V6S, zu einer Batterieentladung geführt. Schade, denn ich hätte gern echte Temperaturmesser.

Unfortunately I can confirm.
I bought the OBDLink MX+ adapter especially, but it also drains the battery on my 2016.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Gauge killing battery