F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII port and battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unhinged (and others); after searching, I was unable to find whether the issue with accessing the ODB port was tested/proven fixed. Reason for the ask: I'd like to connect to the ODP port for track days to get better driving metrics via RaceRender and hopefully find a remote tachometer application; as I am pretty short and the steering wheel is perfectly in the way of the tach. If Jag offered the tesla yoke steering wheel option, I would take it in a second....

Old 08-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Reynolds
unhinged (and others); after searching, I was unable to find whether the issue with accessing the ODB port was tested/proven fixed. Reason for the ask: I'd like to connect to the ODP port for track days to get better driving metrics via RaceRender and hopefully find a remote tachometer application; as I am pretty short and the steering wheel is perfectly in the way of the tach. If Jag offered the tesla yoke steering wheel option, I would take it in a second....
My 2016 still has the problem and had the latest firmware updates as of 2020. The only updates applied in 2021 were for the keyless entry system. You don't say what year you have (putting it in your signature would be helpful to those trying to be helpful) but my money is on it never getting fixed for my car. Later years? I dunno.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:24 PM

apologies as I am new to posting in this forum. I think when i select quick reply it doesn't add my signature? [and found out that you cant delete posts :shrug:.
I'm hitting "reply" but in case my signature doesn't show again:

Black wrap w/ red stripe & accents, painted tow hook red [adds like 60hp]
Long time lurker; now more becoming active due to regularly autocross/tracking

Old 08-29-2021, 03:29 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

unhinged (and others); after searching, I was unable to find whether the issue with accessing the ODB port was tested/proven fixed.
AIUI, the problem arises when the device is disconnected (but am willing to be contradicted by someone knowledgeable). Some devices trigger the problem, others don't, which is probably the reason Jaguar doesn't believe there's a problem if their techs can't reproduce it (if only they'd attend a smog test!). I've never experienced the problem when my local dealers or trusted independent has accessed the port. So it's kind of Schroedinger's OBD port - it works and doesn't work at the same time.

You can test your device by checking if the light in the hazard switch stays on after about 10 minutes of shutting the car down - if it does, you have the drain.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

apologies as I am new to posting in this forum. I think when i select quick reply it doesn't add my signature? [and found out that you cant delete posts :shrug:.
I'm hitting "reply" but in case my signature doesn't show again:
There it is! Twice! A 2016!

I expect you have the same issue I do, and that it will never be fixed. Some have reported OBDC readers that do not cause problems, but both I've tried do.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:37 PM

Thanks to you both!

Old 08-30-2021, 05:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated on another thread, I had a dead battery two years in a row after the Pennsylvania Emissions tester was plugged into the OBD port. Just a month or so ago, after the issue happened twice, I had the dealer keep the car for a few days to try to repeat the issue. The dealer did not plug in the emission tester, but used another device. The problem did not occur. I will be disconnecting the battery after state inspections from here on out. My car is a 2016 S.

John

Old 08-30-2021, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

For those cars that have the problem, Jag has never addressed it. I suspect that since we figured out the work-around, no one made enough of a stink about it to motivate Jag to address the issue.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
For those cars that have the problem, Jag has never addressed it. I suspect that since we figured out the work-around, no one made enough of a stink about it to motivate Jag to address the issue.
I too doubt it will ever be addressed. The only ones I think might have made enough of a stink about it to prompt action would have been those trying to get a better insurance rate by using an OBDC monitor. I saw a few mentions of difficulties with those but I think that people gave up rather than pursue it.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I suspect the car behaves this way to have very high confidence that it won't go to sleep during some sort of update, which could brick the ECM, etc. I can see why Jag wouldn't want to mess with it, if that's the case.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I suspect the car behaves this way to have very high confidence that it won't go to sleep during some sort of update, which could brick the ECM, etc. I can see why Jag wouldn't want to mess with it, if that's the case.
Since the dealer equipment does not cause the issue, I'm sticking with my professional opinion that this is a software defect, more colloquially known as a "bug." My black box testing indicates that the condition is unrecoverable without the battery module reset, aka, disconnection.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hallelujah, my Greenville SC Jaguar dealer, Josh/Rafael, after becoming acquainted with my 2016 F-Type R battery drain problem have fully cured the parasitic battery drain by installing 4 updates to the vehicles RFA, GWM, IPC & BCM modules. They could not tell for sure which one solved the battery drain problem but guessed it was the software update to the IPC, [instrument panel ?]. Jaguar does not publish to the dealers what their software update were designed to do unlike what our phone app suppliers do. They also don't pay the dealer for doing software updates under these circumstances.
If you have read my earlier pains and posts, I had a persistent, seemingly unstoppable 2.5 amp battery drain after shut down which was only initiated by plugging in and removing either my BlueDriver OBDII reader or my Allstate Milewise dongles. So Jaguar has a software update which will cure this OBD initiated parasitic battery drain problem on the F-Type.

Thank you ScubaAddict for keeping us focused on this issue and likely for getting Jaguar to address the problem....
and to many others like the TheRock who have helped with interim solutions like a quick and easy battery negative disconnect and AntiGravity Battery replacement. I don't regret installing these two enhancements along the way. AMEN"

Last edited by chasers03; 01-28-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Spelling error
The following 3 users liked this post by chasers03:
Carbuff2 (01-28-2022), CB1973 (08-05-2022), ddisme (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks chasers03. I just bought mine and am suffering through this problem like many others. So far I have only eliminated several things. My car will be in the dealer's hands in a couple weeks, but until then I'm working to find the actual exact problem and hopefully the cause. Hopefully, I'll discover what's actually happening before they apply the shotgun repair. Once the problem is eliminated, one cannot perform a correct diagnosis.

Old 12-16-2022, 02:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chasers03
Hallelujah, my Greenville SC Jaguar dealer, Josh/Rafael, after becoming acquainted with my 2016 F-Type R battery drain problem have fully cured the parasitic battery drain by installing 4 updates to the vehicles RFA, GWM, IPC & BCM modules. They could not tell for sure which one solved the battery drain problem but guessed it was the software update to the IPC, [instrument panel ?]. Jaguar does not publish to the dealers what their software update were designed to do unlike what our phone app suppliers do. They also don't pay the dealer for doing software updates under these circumstances.
If you have read my earlier pains and posts, I had a persistent, seemingly unstoppable 2.5 amp battery drain after shut down which was only initiated by plugging in and removing either my BlueDriver OBDII reader or my Allstate Milewise dongles. So Jaguar has a software update which will cure this OBD initiated parasitic battery drain problem on the F-Type.

Thank you ScubaAddict for keeping us focused on this issue and likely for getting Jaguar to address the problem....
and to many others like the TheRock who have helped with interim solutions like a quick and easy battery negative disconnect and AntiGravity Battery replacement. I don't regret installing these two enhancements along the way. AMEN"
The big question now is, can these updates be carried out without the PCM getting new software and the F-Type not becoming quieter!

Old 12-16-2022, 12:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In Texas

Have a 2015 F-Type R . Have no issues . In Texas port utilized once per annum fpr manditory inspection .

Old 05-14-2024, 08:28 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Will the software update affect the exhaust?

Old 05-14-2024, 10:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R Gilbert
Will the software update affect the exhaust?
I didn’t hear any difference from before to after the update

The following users liked this post:
Robert R Gilbert (05-15-2024)