Sponsored by:

Octane Boosters

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Octane Boosters

Bump!
Any comments on using an octane booster such as Klotz? Do these products really increase horsepower or are they snake oils?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Ive used them on normally aspirated engines in the past when higher octane fuel was difficult to obtain.

I would not use them on a modern supercharged or turbo engine and \I suspect that some may end up triggering CEL faults

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Your OEM or aftermarket Tune is optimized to run on 91-93 Octane fuel. A radical tune could take Advantage of higher octane fuels, but then you would be stuck running that octane all the Time to prevent damage to the engine. Since the demise of tetraethyl lead, there is no commercially available octane enhancer that does anything more than a linear improvement in average octane. So yes, octane boosters (typically around 116 octane) can indeed increase octane, but you would need almost 1/2 gallon for every 10 gallon tank of gas to increase the octane by one point.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-30-2018 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
but you would need almost 1/2 gallon for every 10 gallon tank of gas to increase the octane by one point.
This is the real problem with octane boosters...

DPelletier (07-30-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

I must use one in conjunction with water/meth due to high boost. While testing on the dyno and carefully monitoring the knock sensors, I verified that the Lucas Oil Octane booster works as advertised. I also had a gasoline sample tested (17 gallons of fuel to one bottle) resulting in a final Sunoco 93 turned into 96 octane. I followed several threads on the overboosted Subaru WRX and Klotz had mixed reviews.

Just a note, as our engines are direct injection, I strongly encourage installing an oil catch can to intercept the PCV return. Unlike traditional fuel injected engines, NOTHING cleans your intake runners and valves. The water/meth injection in my case does but without it, any fuel treatment at best keeps the fuel lines and injectors clean. I just took apart the top end of my new V8R (Project Incubus) and the valves were filthy at 18K miles. For fun I cleaned them by soda blasting them and it took while....

Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
I must use one in conjunction with water/meth due to high boost. While testing on the dyno and carefully monitoring the knock sensors, I verified that the Lucas Oil Octane booster works as advertised. I also had a gasoline sample tested (17 gallons of fuel to one bottle) resulting in a final Sunoco 93 turned into 96 octane. I followed several threads on the overboosted Subaru WRX and Klotz had mixed reviews.

Just a note, as our engines are direct injection, I strongly encourage installing an oil catch can to intercept the PCV return. Unlike traditional fuel injected engines, NOTHING cleans your intake runners and valves. The water/meth injection in my case does but without it, any fuel treatment at best keeps the fuel lines and injectors clean. I just took apart the top end of my new V8R (Project Incubus) and the valves were filthy at 18K miles. For fun I cleaned them by soda blasting them and it took while....
Thanks for that.
Any opinion on additives for removing moisture from the fuel? The service departments (Jag and Maserati) at my dealer have both blamed some rough engine spells of both a 2013 XF and a 2015 Ghibli on the general poor fuel quality in this part of the country.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Thanks for that.
Any opinion on additives for removing moisture from the fuel? The service departments (Jag and Maserati) at my dealer have both blamed some rough engine spells of both a 2013 XF and a 2015 Ghibli on the general poor fuel quality in this part of the country.
Depending on where you live, fuel at the pump may contain ethanol (alcohol), as such, it's hygroscopic by nature (meaning it absorbs water) and it carries it into your engine. All "dry gas" additives, contain alcohol as the active component. In CT we have 15% of ethanol in the gas. I want to warn everyone that using higher octane gas when is NOT needed is detrimental. Higher octane means that the fuel is less prone to pre-ignition and therefore it has higher resistance to ignite. On an engine NOT optimized to run higher octane, it will result in greater carbon deposits, lower performance.

I determine the gas station I like to use by purchasing gas there for my VERY picky motorcycle. If it doesn't like it I never get gas there for my car. I usually go for Shell, or Exxon. BJ's gas, is amazing at making the bike and car run poorly.

fujicoupe (07-31-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

This DI allowing the valves to carbon up was a big concern with the MK 7 GTI's.

This is the first I've heard it mentioned in this F-Type forum.

I wonder, are we just looking for problems?

Let's see what unhinged has to say on this dark subject of carboned up valves.

Unhinged, what say you sir?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,470 Likes on 8,639 Posts

There may be some service stations still around who sell 100-105 octane fuel. There used to be a Union 76 station about a dozen miles away who sold it form one of their pumps.
I did a quick search, but couldn't find any, more searching might fine someplace that still does it.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 PM

A few manufacturers are testing Dual port injection. One injector remain DI, one is also placed in the intake runner (old style). As far as I know, one Japanese manufacturer is just about ready to launch. This in effects doubles the number of injectors

Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Well, I just realized that the cat is out of the hat already

https://noln.net/2018/04/01/dual-por...engine-design/

Old 08-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

A few manufacturers are testing Dual port injection. One injector remain DI, one is also placed in the intake runner (old style). As far as I know, one Japanese manufacturer is just about ready to launch. This in effects doubles the number of injectors
Subaru and Toyota have been doing this for years.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Subaru and Toyota have been doing this for years.
I posted A FEW and Toyota's newest revision of the D4S powerplant is not in a production car yet.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

I posted A FEW and Toyota's newest revision of the D4S powerplant is not in a production car yet.
You said a few are testing and one is about ready to launch. I'm saying Subaru and Toyota have been in production for years.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
You said a few are testing and one is about ready to launch. I'm saying Subaru and Toyota have been in production for years.
Seems that no matter what I post there is nitpicking by you. I was talking about the new Toyota Dynamic Force engine (D4S evolution). with great focus on valve cleaning, flame propagation speed etc (including more acute valve angles). I don't usually follow Subaru or Toyota but they clearly had this concern from the beginning. I apologize if my historical timing inaccuracy is so critical and pertinent to the issue and upsetting to you, I learned of this just a few months ago.

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain2018/engine/

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Are others running catch cans? Recall reading one thread long ago, wondering if there are any updates on actual use? Any downside?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I think there are a handful running catch cans on their XJRs, XF SCs and XFRs.
Also, IIRC, there is an argument that a catch can is a waste of time on the AJ133 and AJ126 as those engines already have built in oil blow-by collection systems as part of the PCV system, per this quote from the AJ133 Technical Training PDF:
"The crankcase is ventilated through part-load and full load breathers and oil separators, which consist of a variable geometry oil separator, pressure control valves, and oil drain valve. This sophisticated system reduces oil pullover by over half."
Then again it says "by over half" so obviously there is still plenty of oil left behind and a catch can may make some sense.
Last but not least there is not a helluva lot of room to mount a catch can and apparently it's a tricky job, especially on the V8 which has even less room behind the block than the V6.

Chawumba (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 PM

I run an oil catch can. I think I suggested it a few times on recent threads
I used this one (ditch the lousy hose) http://a.co/bWMjUBF

Chawumba (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Are others running catch cans? Recall reading one thread long ago, wondering if there are any updates on actual use? Any downside?
Installed a catch can on my F-V8 a couple of years ago and at oil change there is a couple of ounces or more, of oil in it.. surprised the Jag senior tech that installed it and the belief is that it keeps the valves etc. cleaner.
Lawrence

Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I run an oil catch can. I think I suggested it a few times on recent threads
I used this one (ditch the lousy hose) http://a.co/bWMjUBF
Where is the PVC vent/hose located for installing this? Do you have any photos?

Quick Reply: Octane Boosters