F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd mirror issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Odd mirror issue

When the mirrors auto-fold (whether it be locking or unlocking) the driver side mirror continues to hum for about 15 seconds after the mirror finishes moving. Last night I took a look at both sides and the passenger mirror clearly locks in both positions. The driver side mirror doesn't lock in either position.

Is there something I can/should look at to figure out what's going on, or should I take it in to the dealership? The shop isn't very good at being communicative, and when I called to ask "is this normal", they didn't even try to answer the question, just immediately tried to schedule an appointment. Sadly, my confidence in dealerships slips a bit every time I have to call for anything Service related. My auto-roll feature on the driver window had went away briefly, and when I called to ask if there was anything I could do they tried to schedule an all day appointment even though the solution was as simple as "roll the window all the way down, then release and hold the down button for 10 seconds" - something a 10 second Google search told me.

It's not that I don't think they can fix issues (I'm sure they can), it more feels like they don't want to answer questions or give me information about the vehicle

Last edited by alikkon; 08-03-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I think it's fairly standard practice for the dealerships to not diagnose over the phone, so they will always push to schedule a service appointment.

I will add that while I try my best to avoid the dealership if at all possible, I've had two great experiences with Jag's service department.

I had a similar issue (not quite the same) with the passenger side mirror in my car. My issue was that the mirror would make a popping sound while nearing the end of the closing procedure. I was able to fix this by gently applying pressure outwards on the mirror once it had folded closed. I stopped applying pressure when I heard the same popping sound as when it closes, and that apparently re-seated the mirror as it has not happened since.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Oh, I don't expect them to spend more than 30 seconds asking if I've tried something while on the phone necessarily, but a yes/no answer to "is this normal" or if there's a quick procedure I can do to see if a thing fixes, I'd love to see it. I haven't had these kinds of issues on previous vehicles (either there was an obvious "huh, my window doesn't work at all" or the feature didn't exist, like the folding mirrors), and usually when it's a works/doesn't work situation it's somewhat obviously a situation where I'm going to bring it in. Both the mirror issue and the window switch issue were situations where the device functioned, just not as I expect(ed).

I've tried to rotate the mirror in and out in either position and it simply doesn't lock on either end of the rotation. I should note, though, that it doesn't fold in due to air pressure at highway speeds, but I can easily move the mirror in or out by pressing a finger against the shell.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM

I assume that I'm correct in that the mirrors are supposed to both behave the same and that the motor noise should stop when the mirror stops moving

Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by alikkon
I assume that I'm correct in that the mirrors are supposed to both behave the same and that the motor noise should stop when the mirror stops moving
Correct.