F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Parts for the F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022 | 12:24 PM
|
Default OEM Parts for the F-Type

Hey Guys. I'm thinking about buying an F-Type and was curious whether there is a market of good OEM parts? Never was a fan of buying parts directly from the car manufacturer due to excessive markups... The F-type is like 8 years old now, so I'm guessing there should be a market for "secondary" parts.
Just curious. Are all 3 engines (2L. V6, V8) introduced for this Jag, or have they been used in other Jag models? What about other parts, like the transmission?

Old 01-31-2022 | 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't OEM mean Original Equipment Manufacturer? If you're looking for aftermarket parts, it's limited. You'd find the standard things like wheels, brake pads, rotors, etc,. For other items, it's direct from Jaguar.

Old 01-31-2022 | 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jed87piotr
Hey Guys. I'm thinking about buying an F-Type and was curious whether there is a market of good OEM parts? Never was a fan of buying parts directly from the car manufacturer due to excessive markups... The F-type is like 8 years old now, so I'm guessing there should be a market for "secondary" parts.
Just curious. Are all 3 engines (2L. V6, V8) introduced for this Jag, or have they been used in other Jag models? What about other parts, like the transmission?
If you check Ebay, there are a number of OEM parts off cars that are wrecked but the parts are sometimes mint. I recently purchased a few parts that I know at some point in my ownership I'm going to modify or wear out.... Glove box, center cubby area cover, rear trunk panels (floor, cubby, the rectangle piece that secures in front of the rear floor panel) and overhead console panel. I found one Ebay seller down in Florida that was parting out a wrecked 2016 and the parts I received were mint. I bought most of these parts at about 1/3 the dealer price and a few for 1/4 the dealer price. But I haven't looked into transmissions or larger mechanical pieces. But keep in mind there aren't that many F-Types out there so it might be hit or miss and a matter of timing with Ebay.

I would be careful with parts that are known for wearing out like used cats or active exhaust (the actuator sucks) and would/have bought a better aftermarket product from VAP. I learned the hard way, I bought a V8 quad exhaust on Ebay and the seller sent it to me unwrapped so when it arrived, it was bent and the actuator didn't work. Seller tried to say that's normal and he wasn't responsible but Ebay jumped in and I got a refund but a PITA.

Regarding the other cars that use the same parts, I'm not knowledgable in this area.

Old 01-31-2022 | 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

All of those engines have been and still are used in a wide range of Jags.
The V8 (AJ133) came out in 2009 and has been used in the XF, XK, XJ, F-Pace, various Range Rovers etc etc.
The V6 (AJ126) came out in 2012 (it is derived from the V8) and is used in all of the above except the XK, plus the XE.
The I4 (Ingenium petrol) came out in 2016 and is used in the XF, XE, F-Pace, E-Pace and various Range Rovers and Land Rovers.
The auto trans in the F-Type is the ZF 8HP70 and it is used right across the JLR range and in many many other car makes and models, AFAIK it is the most widely used gearbox on the planet (and many say the best!).

The following users liked this post:
datriani (01-31-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 01:49 AM
|

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Doesn't OEM mean Original Equipment Manufacturer? If you're looking for aftermarket parts, it's limited. You'd find the standard things like wheels, brake pads, rotors, etc,. For other items, it's direct from Jaguar.
OEM, as in made for Jaguar but it doesn't have Jags logo which makes them much cheaper.
That''s what I thought what it is, unless I misunderstood something.

Old 02-01-2022 | 01:57 AM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The auto trans in the F-Type is the ZF 8HP70 and it is used right across the JLR range and in many many other car makes and models, AFAIK it is the most widely used gearbox on the planet (and many say the best!).
So it's used even in the 2.0 version of the car? If so then that gearbox has a lot reserve then!

Old 02-01-2022 | 02:53 AM
Veteran Member

So it's used even in the 2.0 version of the car? If so then that gearbox has a lot reserve then!
Yep, every single F-Type ever made with an auto gearbox has the ZF 8HP70.

Old 02-01-2022 | 04:30 AM

When buying OEM or any popular automotive brands Online, be extra careful of Counterfeit Parts especially buying from a 3rd Party at Amazon or some eBay sellers. These Counterfeit Parts will more like destroy your car's engine or much even worst will result to accidents & collisions. This always comes out at any discussion in Automotive forums on the internet.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-01-2022 at 04:34 AM.
Carbuff2 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 04:36 AM

When I'm shopping on Worldpac for a client's car I will see "original" and OEM. Original means it's going to be in a JLR bag or box. OEM means it's going to come from the same supplier that supplied JLR but comes in the supplier's bag or box.

Old 02-01-2022 | 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
When buying OEM or any popular automotive brands Online, be extra careful of Counterfeit Parts especially buying from a 3rd Party at Amazon or some eBay sellers. These Counterfeit Parts will more like destroy your car's engine or much even worst will result to accidents & collisions. This always comes out at any discussion in Automotive forums on the internet.

Thanks for the reminder. In most cases you get what you pay for and if it’s too good to be true, definitely do your research and ask questions before pulling the trigger. I’ve only been on this forum for a year and I think I’ve seen 2 warnings on this forum’s marketplace from fellow board members about scammers on this site. I’ve purchased about half dozen items on here and haven’t had an issue and hope I don’t, knock on wood.

Last edited by datriani; 02-01-2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 07:07 AM

Yeah the ZF box is rock solid, but does also need oil changes mind you, even if JLR claim it's sealed for life.

I don't think OEM/aftermarket spare parts availability and their costs really should matter. If you know you want an F-Type, do the research so you know what to expect, find a good example with a clean history, preferably with a warranty so you have some time to iron out remaining issues and enjoy the ride.

Sure, if you need a new diff, cat or whole new engine it does get eye watering expensive and there don't seem to be any aftermarket options around, but for anything else it's mainly the labor, especially if work is done by a JLR dealer with their hourly rates, that drives costs. Other parts that often need to be replaced like coolant pipes, water pump or O2 sensors don't really cost that much. For instance if you need to replace the water pump or coolant pipes in the valley of the engine block the parts don't cost much but it's something like 7 hours of labor because the supercharger needs to be removed.

Old 02-01-2022 | 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

You'll also find that many independent shops won't work on a F-Type because of the newer models use specialized tools & computers that the small shops don't have. To some degree, that's been made worse when the warranty period was extended to 5 years. It's great as a consumer (while it lasts), but it means that no one outside of a JLR dealer had any motivation to invest any training or setup.

Old 02-01-2022 | 11:38 AM
|

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
When I'm shopping on Worldpac for a client's car I will see "original" and OEM. Original means it's going to be in a JLR bag or box. OEM means it's going to come from the same supplier that supplied JLR but comes in the supplier's bag or box.
Is there a OEM reseller in Germany/Poland for these cars?

Old 02-01-2022 | 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
You'll also find that many independent shops won't work on a F-Type because of the newer models use specialized tools & computers that the small shops don't have. To some degree, that's been made worse when the warranty period was extended to 5 years. It's great as a consumer (while it lasts), but it means that no one outside of a JLR dealer had any motivation to invest any training or setup.
I'd say that's what keeps Jag ownership pretty exclusive anywhere outside the UK. In the UK they have loads of independent shops specialized in JLR cars so you can get maintenance and repairs done at reasonable prices. In other places like the rest of Europe you have no other options than the JLR dealers so you have to know your sh*t and be able to afford it to own one of these cars. By the way I wonder if there are any other parts of the world than the US where the warranty is 5 years. Over here it's 2 years.

Old 02-01-2022 | 03:32 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Yeah the ZF box is rock solid, but does also need oil changes mind you, even if JLR claims it's sealed for life.
They don't any more - the service schedule for my VIN stipulates transmission oil and filter change at 144,000 miles or 9 years.

Old 02-01-2022 | 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by scm
They don't any more - the service schedule for my VIN stipulates transmission oil and filter change at 144,000 miles or 9 years.
Good to hear that they changed that. That mileage still sounds quite high and I think ZF recommend to do it earlier than that. IIRC good practice used to be around 100 000 km.

Incidentally I got my first proper F-Type experience back in the day thanks to a gearbox oil change. In 2014 my XFS had racked up enough mileage for a transmission service and instead of driving an hour over to ZF in Germany to get it done there I paid more for my local Jag dealer to do it along with a couple of other odd jobs and asked them for an F-Type loaner. They kept my car for two days and I got to enjoy an F-Type S convertible for two days which eventually led to me getting my own. :P

Old 02-01-2022 | 05:51 PM

OEM, as in made for Jaguar but it doesn't have Jags logo which makes them much cheaper.
That''s what I thought what it is, unless I misunderstood something.
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, which in this case is Jaguar themselves. Sometimes people might be looking for alternate suppliers of these parts, like places that buy surplus, for things Jaguar doesn't have in stock any more or sometime will sell individual parts where Jaguar themselves will only sell whole assemblies.

In your case it sounds like you are looking for aftermarket parts since you don't care about having them manufactured by Jaguar with the Jaguar name on it.

The really confusing ones is when you can buy the exact same part, manufactured in the exact same place, but without the OEM name on it, so you pay less. Such as buying a part that says Ford instead of Jaguar but its exactly the same, at half the price.

Old 02-01-2022 | 06:31 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Good to hear that they changed that. That mileage still sounds quite high and I think ZF recommend to do it earlier than that. IIRC good practice used to be around 100 000 km.
Yeah, ZF reckon on 60,000 miles, I think. I'd guess most F-Types reach 9 years long before 144,000 miles!

Carbuff2 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, which in this case is Jaguar themselves.
Not exactly correct. Yes, that's what the acronym means, but it doesn't mean it's Jaguar themselves. It's whoever the original supplier was. For example, if you need an ABS module, those were originally made by Bosch, so the OEM part would be made by Bosch. It may or may not have a Jaguar logo on it but Bosch is the OEM.

Old 02-01-2022 | 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, which in this case is Jaguar themselves. Sometimes people might be looking for alternate suppliers of these parts, like places that buy surplus, for things Jaguar doesn't have in stock any more or sometime will sell individual parts where Jaguar themselves will only sell whole assemblies.

In your case it sounds like you are looking for aftermarket parts since you don't care about having them manufactured by Jaguar with the Jaguar name on it.

The really confusing ones is when you can buy the exact same part, manufactured in the exact same place, but without the OEM name on it, so you pay less. Such as buying a part that says Ford instead of Jaguar but its exactly the same, at half the price.
Back in the day, some Ducati parts could be found on Buell. I remember the trick was to order a Buell taillight for $5 rather than the same part from Ducati for $29. It was the same with turn signals, mirrors and other small parts.

Quick Reply: OEM Parts for the F-Type