F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, thanks for info, who did the clay bar? Dealer?

Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

The clay bar alone will not repair orange peel, it simply removes contaminants from the surface of the clear coat.

To repair orange peel, the clear coat needs to be either polished or wet-sanded (if it is severe enough). The effect described as orange peel is a rough surface on the clear coat (named as such due to the clear coat's surface resembling the texture of an orange peel), and it must be polished or sanded back to a smooth surface to remove that effect.

Typically the detailing process would be clay bar first to remove contaminants, polish to remove fine scratches and smooth the clear coat, then apply sealant/wax to provide protection to the newly smoothed clear coat surface.

I just want to help clarify that a clay bar alone will not remove the orange peel effect, but is typically the first step in any detailing process in which subsequent steps are used to remove the orange peel effect (i.e. polishing/sanding).

edit - Ammo NYC is an excellent resource on learning about detailing/paint restoration, they have a YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

Last edited by BierNut; 08-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
The clay bar alone will not repair orange peel, it simply removes contaminants from the surface of the clear coat.

To repair orange peel, the clear coat needs to be either polished or wet-sanded (if it is severe enough). The effect described as orange peel is a rough surface on the clear coat, and it must be polished or sanded back to a smooth surface to remove that effect.

Typically the detailing process would be clay bar first to remove contaminants, polish to remove fine scratches and smooth the clear coat, then apply sealant/wax to provide protection to the newly smoothed clear coat surface.

I just want to help clarify that a clay bar alone will not remove the orange peel effect, but is typically the first step in any detailing process in which subsequent steps are used to remove the orange peel effect (i.e. polishing/sanding).
Exactly right!

Almost all factory finishes have some degree of orange peel if you look closely enough. It's usually more visible on darker colors.

It's better or worse than average on any given car due to various environmental and plant variables. Extremely high-end, as well as, show cars are usually given the process described by Biernut above (usually wet-sanding) after painting, but you have to get north of $200K for a manufacturer to perform that process as a routine part of the production process.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Correct. In my case the claybar was done by the detailer and cQuartzed.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Correct. In my case the claybar was done by the detailer and cQuartzed.
There was a lot more work done between the clay bar and the cQuartz if your finish is mirror smooth.

As Biernut explained above, the clay bar will do nothing to remove orange peel. It just removes surface contaminants to allow for swirl-free polishing, which can remove a lot of the orange peel. It takes more aggressive wet-sanding, then major polishing to really get things mirror smooth if the orange peel is more high-profile.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
There was a lot more work done between the clay bar and the cQuartz if your finish is mirror smooth.

As Biernut explained above, the clay bar will do nothing to remove orange peel. It just removes surface contaminants to allow for swirl-free polishing, which can remove a lot of the orange peel. It takes more aggressive wet-sanding, then major polishing to really get things mirror smooth if the orange peel is more high-profile.
It may be a difference in our definition of orange peel. If the reflection in the paint is uneven and not clear, to me that's orange peel. I'm not talking spray can orange peel that you can feel to the touch. Clay bar and a good paint sealant will handle what I'm talking about. Additional clearcoat and polishing machines not needed.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-12-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

It may be a difference in our definition of orange peel. If the reflection in the paint is uneven and not clear, to me that's orange peel.
Agreed. It sounds like both Foosh and I agree with you on that definition.

Sealant, even wax for awhile, will fill in the dimples in the clear coat (orange peel) that create the uneven reflections. Sealants and waxes are designed to cure into a smooth surface that enhances reflections. This will fade over time as the product wears off, however.

A good polish will keep the reflections smooth as the protective layer (sealant/wax) wears away, as it actually removes the dimples (orange peel) in the clear coat causing the uneven reflections.

Edit - I should add there's an argument to be made for clay bar/sealing approach to a brand new car, especially if sealant is able to effectively mask the orange peel. This approach allows you to save that layer of clear coat removal done during polishing for when you need to polish due to scratches. This approach would not be correcting the orange peel however, just masking it.

Last edited by BierNut; 08-12-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

This approach allows you to save that layer of clear coat removal done during polishing for when you need to polish due to scratches. This approach would not be correcting the orange peel however, just masking it.
This is why the sealant has to be periodically reapplied. I think we are in violent agreement.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Just picked up mine.

I just picked up my new 2016 F-Type Base Coupe 8-speed this week, delivered about a month earlier than first estimated. So far just drove it home 150 miles. Still have to learn how to drive it, and looking forward to the experience. Seats are Ivory with Jet contrast stitch.

Attached Thumbnails Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-2016-jaguar-ft-2016-08-10-002.jpg   Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-2016-jaguar-ft-2016-08-10-010.jpg   Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-2016-jaguar-ft-2016-08-10-009.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by mjm3457:
bwco (08-15-2015), LynxFX (08-17-2015), Phantomf4collector (05-15-2020), Schwabe (09-03-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To repair orange peel, the clear coat needs to be either polished or wet-sanded (if it is severe enough). The effect described as orange peel is a rough surface on the clear coat (named as such due to the clear coat's surface resembling the texture of an orange peel), and it must be polished or sanded back to a smooth surface to remove that effect.

edit - Ammo NYC is an excellent resource on learning about detailing/paint restoration, they have a YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom
Exactly. My paint has some waviness typical of robot applied paint but all new cars these days are the same. I may buff it one day but it is not bad enough to cause me any major concern.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
Exactly. My paint has some waviness typical of robot applied paint but all new cars these days are the same. I may buff it one day but it is not bad enough to cause me any major concern.
Agreed, and I suspect all manufacturers are using essentially the same robotic painting systems. There is some variability given environmental conditions and differences in equipment performance on any given day.

Of course, exotics get wet-sanded, then heavily polished, which is the only way to have no orange peel.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default I heard you like F-Types?

2016 Non-"S" 6cyl manual transmission. BRG Camel interior "tan" or camel top. Picked up Wed AM, driven to Tahoe and back already. 500 miles in, I'm really in love. I drove a Wrangler for 20 years, so this is about 5" wider on either side, which spooks me on the road so far. The clutch is fantastic. I got the vision package, and I have to ask... with those mirrors is there *really* no blind spot? Wild.

I still have absolutely no idea what to do with the car other than put my foot on the clutch and move the car. The tech can wait! =)

I actually am a decent photographer, but didn't have time to do anything other than quick and dirty. I will try to get art-house shortly.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (08-26-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Z2F
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Color combo really works well.
New to me is lowboy style cover on console storage and the open cup holders.
Thanks for sharing.

Z2F
2015 V8 S IRR

Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Manual

Got mine 10 days before your post. Same except for chrome 19 in wheels and Brogue leather interior. Are you still hitting the climate control and emergency flasher when you shift into third?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Are you still hitting the climate control and emergency flasher when you shift into third?
Just reaching the 1000 mile point myself. My accustomed hand position must be different, as I never had this problem.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Same here. Have never touched the switch bank during vigorous shifting. I grab the knob from the side rather than the top, so that may be the difference.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Got mine 10 days before your post. Same except for chrome 19 in wheels and Brogue leather interior. Are you still hitting the climate control and emergency flasher when you shift into third?
Different but similar "problem" with my Auto...

If I use the Gear Shift (instead of the paddle) I find that my hand will occasionally brush the button just hard enough to turn the Active Exhaust off.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Well that would be a shame��

Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Same here. Have never touched the switch bank during vigorous shifting. I grab the knob from the side rather than the top, so that may be the difference.
I seem to hold on to the volume knob, but my hands have never hit anything accidentally. I will say that

a) it is a LOOoooong throw, or at least it seems to me. I am choking down on the shifter and have my hand under the ball handle.

b) My iced coffee straw and top of the cup is DEFINITELY in the way of shifting. I think the cup holders were meant for one scotch glass and one gin and tonic lowball.

I KID I KID no naughty driving under influences.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

From the category of double entendre, this may be my favorite post ever.

Quick Reply: Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread