F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughan1948
I would advise anyone thinking about buying an F Type to think long and hard.Im in the motor trade and hear many stories plus saw two at side of the road broken down in the last three days.As for me I had one for a year and experienced numerous problems and in UK poor dealer service.Now have an M5 which is so much better built and quicker.Yes its a different kind of car but new grandchild also forced sale of the worst car Ive ever owned
Curious about what went on with your car between your July 2015 posts and now. It sounds like you kept the car for a while. Did the dealer make more repairs? Mine is a November 2015 build, 2016 MY, and only minor issues, so far. I just did a 2000 mile round trip from Tennessee to Texas and back, and no problems. No F-Types on the side of the road, but actually only 1 F-Type sighted during the entire trip. Biggest issue is constantly having to tell people what kind of car it is. I think I'll keep mine a while longer, and see what happens.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Had lots of problems with my BMW and a few with my Mercedes' as well. We'll see how the Jaguar does long term but after much research, I've determined the car has a reasonably good customer satisfaction record and most common issues are relatively minor (IMO, anyhow).

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughan1948
I would advise anyone thinking about buying an F Type to think long and hard.Im in the motor trade and hear many stories plus saw two at side of the road broken down in the last three days.As for me I had one for a year and experienced numerous problems and in UK poor dealer service.Now have an M5 which is so much better built and quicker.Yes its a different kind of car but new grandchild also forced sale of the worst car Ive ever owned
I had plenty of issues with my 2002 911 Turbo, supposedly a rock-solid car. All vehicles can have issues especially if driven hard. Although I've only own my F-Type for 3 months it has been perfect, fit-and-finish are excellent, and there is no way a bloated M5 is faster than my kitty

Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BMo
I had plenty of issues with my 2002 911 Turbo, supposedly a rock-solid car. All vehicles can have issues especially if driven hard. Although I've only own my F-Type for 3 months it has been perfect, fit-and-finish are excellent, and there is no way a bloated M5 is faster than my kitty
...Haha; I was thinking the same thing so I went back and read his previous posts; he had a V6 not the V8 so yes, the M5 is faster than his F type was.

Dave

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F type v6s

So after my initial problems, Auxiliary fuse box burning out, 2 dodgy o2 sensors, leak on rear diff. My car has had no other issues. I recently got a new Milltek exhaust system and the guys at Milltek said the springs on the valves were weak which was making it sound like it was vibrating on cold starts.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
I took my car in for its first service recently and had the dealer fix three issues:

Knocking/clunking sound in the rear end when shifting from reverse to drive at low speeds. Turns out there is a service bulletin (JTB00402NAS2) for this to Loctite the transmission output flange to eliminate excessive backlash. Applies to VIN #’s K00001 – K19511. Bulletin attached. A simple fix but requires a few days in at the dealer to allow for curing time and I was told the exhaust system and other parts needed to be removed to gain access to this flange.

Navigation display would start up with a black screen occasionally. Everything would work but could not be controlled by the touch screen. The dealer duplicated the problem and applied a complete software update which has fixed it so far.

Center vent rattled at times and sounded like a loose wire was moving around. The problem was a loose center speaker cover and this is a known issue. The tech secured the cover which fixed the noise, however, after this repair, the center vent began to creak when opening and closing. This required another visit to the dealer and they replaced the entire center vent with a new one, which corrected the problem.

Hi, my nav screen is black with no map, all other buttons visible. I have a 2016 r coupe. Any details on the software upgrade? My sales person did not find a TSB and thought it may be a video cable. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

4700 Miles, clutch? Flywheel? Blew up like Unhingd. Driving along and shifting into gear is harder and harder then, stops altogether. Coast to a stop, cut the engine. Won't restart, stuck in gear. Force it into neutral and wait for the tow truck. After complaining about the clutch slipping under acceleration and being told it's my fault by the dealer and Jaguar saying it's an unknown complaint.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had two F Types now, both V8s. The first one, a 2014, the screen wouldn't initialize if the battery was low (if I went on a short trip, turned car off, then restarted it, not enough juice I think). Had a vacuum pump sound for a while (a buzz behind the driver seat); never fixed that (im guessing it was a pump). The door would creek when opened when it was really hot out (never bothered to adjust it). My second F Type was perfect. My third is on order; I recommend the car if you can afford it. Assume that you will have to fix small things (look forward to it as you will learn something about the car and its an excuse to go to the dealer and look at new cars while you wait to have it fixed. What can be more pleasant?), stay positive, as your car picks up your energy (yes, your car is alive in a way). Your stress causes things to break. It sounds nutty I know but I have almost 40 years of experience that supports this.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by gsk7777777
I've had two F Types now, both V8s. The first one, a 2014, the screen wouldn't initialize if the battery was low (if I went on a short trip, turned car off, then restarted it, not enough juice I think). Had a vacuum pump sound for a while (a buzz behind the driver seat); never fixed that (im guessing it was a pump). The door would creek when opened when it was really hot out (never bothered to adjust it). My second F Type was perfect. My third is on order; I recommend the car if you can afford it. Assume that you will have to fix small things (look forward to it as you will learn something about the car and its an excuse to go to the dealer and look at new cars while you wait to have it fixed. What can be more pleasant?), stay positive, as your car picks up your energy (yes, your car is alive in a way). Your stress causes things to break. It sounds nutty I know but I have almost 40 years of experience that supports this.
Can they really be that good if you've already thrown away two?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, sucking in Valley Fever spores on the side of the road for 3 hours in an oil patch was really an uplifting experience. I need to do that more often. Maybe next time I can get something to break down in the snow around midnight. That sounds like fun. Can't wait.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Yeah, sucking in Valley Fever spores on the side of the road for 3 hours in an oil patch was really an uplifting experience. I need to do that more often. Maybe next time I can get something to break down in the snow around midnight. That sounds like fun. Can't wait.
Don't fret too much about getting them to replace all the components. If the clutch pressure plate blew apart, JLR will instruct them to replace at least the flywheel, full clutch kit and throw-out slave cylinder. Just confirm that they are using the updated parts before they replace them.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Tempting to start a new Thread, but let's try here first...

Last Friday, 30 minutes after driving home parking and locking the car the siren went off.

Car was unresponsive to either remote, so had to use the physical key in the fob to unlock the car. Applied fob to patch on the underside of the dash, so the alarm stopped.

Trackstar then called to report an alarm, but noted the car was on my drive and wasn't moving.

Nothing worked on the car, but there was 12.5v at the jumper cable connections under the bonnet.

Called Jaguar Assistance.

AA attended within 40 minutes, but were unable to fix it (not helped by the way I'd parked it against the wall, so they couldn't get at the underfloor connections to the fuse box.) Fair play to the AA guy - he maintained his sense of humour throughout, even though Jaguar Technical staff were asking him to check the battery and power distribution system. Which are in the boot. Which you cannot get to if nothing is powered...

As he was being ignored by Jaguar Technical following the failure of anything on their menu system I called them in order to get them to call him.

It was agreed that a Jaguar Technician would call the following day.

The following day, by dint of doing a backbend over the transmission tunnel, the Jaguar Technician was able to fix it.

He did this by disconnecting the power to the main ECU of the car for a couple of minutes by pulling all the power connectors from the main fuse board.

I'm left wondering which version of Windows this car is running...

Last edited by F-typical; 05-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-typical:
Burt Gummer (07-20-2016), Smoke Em (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical

Not to make light of the situation, but that's a funny line.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-20-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Last Friday, 30 minutes after driving home parking and locking the car the siren went off.

Car was unresponsive to either remote, so had to use the physical key in the fob to unlock the car. Applied fob to patch on the underside of the dash, so the alarm stopped.

Trackstar then called to report an alarm, but noted the car was on my drive and wasn't moving.

Nothing worked on the car, but there was 12.5v at the jumper cable connections under the bonnet.

Called Jaguar Assistance.

AA attended within 40 minutes, but were unable to fix it (not helped by the way I'd parked it against the wall, so they couldn't get at the underfloor connections to the fuse box.) Fair play to the AA guy - he maintained his sense of humour throughout, even though Jaguar Technical staff were asking him to check the battery and power distribution system. Which are in the boot. Which you cannot get to if nothing is powered...

As he was being ignored by Jaguar Technical following the failure of anything on their menu system I called them in order to get them to call him.

It was agreed that a Jaguar Technician would call the following day.

The following day, by dint of doing a backbend over the transmission tunnel, the Jaguar Technician was able to fix it.

He did this by disconnecting the power to the main ECU of the car for a couple of minutes by pulling all the power connectors from the main fuse board.

The Windows line is funny but probably closely akin to the problem. The technician's approach was like my favorite and most productive way to fix problems when they popup on my PC. When all else fails, reboot the computer.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by asolare
The Windows line is funny but probably closely akin to the problem. The technician's approach was like my favorite and most productive way to fix problems when they popup on my PC. When all else fails, reboot the computer.
Control-Alt-Delete baby!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by asolare
Rather than "when all else fails", I'd make that 'in the first instance' reboot the computer

Old 05-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Control-Alt-Delete baby!
yep....at least it's better than " del*.* "

Dave

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (12-25-2019)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
yep....at least it's better than " del*.* "

Dave
Ahhh...an old DOS man!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ahhh...an old DOS man!
Reminds me of Direct Access.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Started hearing a quick squeak/chirp between 1000-1100 RPM, whether or not the vehicles was stationary or in motion on my '14 V8S. They determined it was an issue with the dynamic exhaust valves. I wasn't thrilled about not having my new (to me) F-Type gone for a week but they ultimately replaced the entire muffler assembly to resolve the issue. Getting a brand new muffler/exhaust valves/tips for free made it somewhat tolerable. Note their book and the SA referred to this part as a "silencer".

They also replaced two O2 sensors due to an intermittent CEL, although this seems pretty common. I'm not sure if the vehicle has had the ECU changes for the O2 sensor issues.

Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues