F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

It's quite common, search this forum and you will find a few reports.
I debadged my F-Type a few weeks ago, well at least the "Jaguar" and "F-Type" lettering on the rear end, I just found them a bit too fussy and detracting from the lines of the car.
I'm sure I mentioned it earlier somewhere, but the first time I ever went to the local dealership to look at and enquire about buying an F-Type, I noticed that the "J" on a brand new F-Type in the showroom was quite crooked. I pointed this out to the salesman he was most offended!

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Has anyone ever had the "Jaguar" decal/lettering start to fall off? I noticed that the "J" was crooked a few days ago. It seems like the letter is about to fall off. I was able to affix it with a small dab of silicone. Seems kind of cheap if the lettering can't hold up to 20 months of use....
Just take all the letters off. Looks much better without them.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 F type V8S roadster I bought new when they first came out is currently receiving its third engine. At 32k the original unmodified engine ate something and there was metal in the oil filter. Jaguar replaced entire motor. 7K miles after that replacement, the replacement motor experienced a similar engine noise and again there is metal in the oil filter and Jaguar will again replace the entire motor. Its a great looking and very fun to drive car but if I have to change engines every time I change rear tires (I get about 10k out of a set) it will get a bit tedious. The car is my daily driver and usually I put on only about 18 miles a day going and coming from work. I will say that throughout the process Jaguar and the dealer have been very accommodating. However with all the cars I have owned, I have never had two engine failures. I can't help thinking that there is defect somewhere, perhaps an oiling problem that the sensors do not pick up? or am I just unlucky?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jjones
My 2014 F type V8S roadster I bought new when they first came out is currently receiving its third engine. At 32k the original unmodified engine ate something and there was metal in the oil filter. Jaguar replaced entire motor. 7K miles after that replacement, the replacement motor experienced a similar engine noise and again there is metal in the oil filter and Jaguar will again replace the entire motor. Its a great looking and very fun to drive car but if I have to change engines every time I change rear tires (I get about 10k out of a set) it will get a bit tedious. The car is my daily driver and usually I put on only about 18 miles a day going and coming from work. I will say that throughout the process Jaguar and the dealer have been very accommodating. However with all the cars I have owned, I have never had two engine failures. I can't help thinking that there is defect somewhere, perhaps an oiling problem that the sensors do not pick up? or am I just unlucky?
Have they given you an exact explanation regarding what went south, or did they just say motor busted?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Sounds like you're unlucky. I recall one other member a few years back that had the engine replaced, but that's about it.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Sounds like you're unlucky. I recall one other member a few years back that had the engine replaced, but that's about it.
Yep; ditto: this is the second F type I've ever heard with engine problems.....and to have two replacements.....I think that's Guiness Record material there....

We should also keep in mind that these exact same engines are used in most other Jaguars and have been for some time so they aren't exactly new with the F type.

Like Unhinged, I'd be interested to know what went wrong.

Dave

Old 05-11-2017, 10:00 AM

They have offered no explanation as to why the problem. Apparently the engine is shipped back to the factory for analysis at some point but all the dealer does is verify the problem through examination of the oil filter and listening to the engine. I speculate that in order to explain two similar failures within 7k miles of each other it is likely caused by something in the oil path that is external to the engine itself such as an oil cooler. However the dealer assures me the oil looks fine, is not burned and there is not indication from the computer that it overheated.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Yep; ditto: this is the second F type I've ever heard with engine problems.....and to have two replacements.....I think that's Guiness Record material there....

We should also keep in mind that these exact same engines are used in most other Jaguars and have been for some time so they aren't exactly new with the F type.

Dave
Thanks, I would be interested to know also but probably never will. On the first motor failure Jaguar was kind enough to provide me with an extended warranty to cover the drive train. Hope I wont need it for engine #4

Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier

Dave
Unfortunately it is unlikely I will ever know. Good thing its covered under the extended warranty Jaguar provided after the fist engine failure.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Corporate is always very hush hush on what the problem was, and are VERY often withholding from the dealers/mechs themselves. I get it.... but this sort of thing needs an explanation, or you're just going to become conditioned to flinch at the notion of the brand.

Knock on wood, this sounds like a once in a lifetime one in a million shot compared to the other cars on here, but I empathize, and hope you get some notion of what is at issue.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Guys just come over from the XKR forum as after 13 years I sold it and bought a 2016 F-Type R AWD ex demo with 2300 miles. So I am the first registered owner and it still has just under 4 years of warranty and service left.

After I got it home I can see a few issues with panel fit and one issue with paint. The drivers door at the bottom edge does not fit well see pics passenger is better but still sticks out. I also have bad fit passenger side with the hood/bonnet to body at the front above the wheel see pic.

The paint issue see pic is on the front lip above the grill. I could easy fix this I guess.

My question is do others have this problem and will Jaguar fix this or will it be considered to be within tolerance given the dealer made this a demo car just over a year ago.

Also have the issue with filling the car with fuel it pops all the time I assume they have a fix for this now. Yes Im in CA USA

Love love the car

Thanks
Simon

Attached Thumbnails Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-drivers-door.jpg   Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-passager-door.jpg   Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-hood-wing.jpg   Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-hood-wing-1.jpg   Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-hood-wing-2.jpg  

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues-ftype2016-paint.jpg  

Last edited by LedZepplin; 06-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I had similar issues. They should fix if it was sold as new. Only hitch may be the panel alignment warranty only covers first year. I would definitely insist - a good dealer will take care of it. Worst case it might be a few hundred dollars at a good paint/body shop. Also note that closing the bonnet from one side (instead of in front) can tweak the alignment.

There is also a fix for filler issue, but I believe you need to complain (TSB vs. recall)

Last edited by Greggbhill; 06-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
LedZepplin (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

As Greg mentioned, the hood can close a bit cockeyed if you don't push it closed from the middle. Affects gaps on both sides until you close it straight.

LedZepplin (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Doors are normal. Mine stick out slightly at the bottom too, but line up everywhere else and weatherstripping seals are good all around.

Hood is an alignment issue possibly aggravated by it not being closed properly.

Front end looks like a scuff through the clear. Could try compounding by hand or buffing, but it looks more like it will need a touch up.

LedZepplin (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the replies the doors seal ok and gap is even they just stick out especially the drivers door. My fear is they would mess the gap up and who knows what else if the try to adjust the doors.

Gap on the hood appears to be the front plastic fender (I can push this up a little) rather than the hood/bonnet as gaps else where are even. I'll take a look I bet I could adjust that fairly easy. Yes I always close from the middle with a slam shut! LOL as its so light compared to my old XKR.

The paint spot is down to the gray primer I have touch up on the way and already have the proper clear coat so that should be an easy fix.

Ok so only thing I'll get the dealer to look at is the filling problem I believe the new part is T2R13703.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by LedZepplin; 06-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by simonnallen
Hi Guys just come over from the XKR forum as after 13 years I sold it and bought a 2016 F-Type R AWD ex demo with 2300 miles. So I am the first registered owner and it still has just under 4 years of warranty and service left.

After I got it home I can see a few issues with panel fit and one issue with paint. The drivers door at the bottom edge does not fit well see pics passenger is better but still sticks out. I also have bad fit passenger side with the hood/bonnet to body at the front above the wheel see pic.

The paint issue see pic is on the front lip above the grill. I could easy fix this I guess.

My question is do others have this problem and will Jaguar fix this or will it be considered to be within tolerance given the dealer made this a demo car just over a year ago.

Also have the issue with filling the car with fuel it pops all the time I assume they have a fix for this now. Yes Im in CA USA

Love love the car

Thanks
Simon
It's not the doors - it's the rocker panels. Look underneath and you'll see the fixings.

The bonnet is trickier....

Last edited by F-typical; 06-06-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 06-07-2017, 01:01 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Fuel filler part no.s:
T2R21271 Fuel tank filler pipe - Convertible
T2R21272 Fuel tank filler pipe - Coupe
T2R21273 Protection shield
C2D38206 Cap - Fuel Filler

From this page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ut-now-151082/

OK, because of all of this I have a bonnet question. Mine is really balky and squeaky, like it needs to be lubed up. I pointed this out when I was in the dealer and he didn't have trouble closing it. Well, he's 6'5" and I'm 5'7". When I go to push it, I get about a foot and it doesn't go any further. So I have to go to the side & pull it down. When I get about a foot from closing, I have to SLAM it down (ouch) on the driver side or it won't close. It is probably getting jacked up from doing this but what else can I do? Sounds like this is not a "real" problem that I can get fixed? (The balky hood not closing correctly.) I can post a vid of the hood screeching it's way down if that would be helpful.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
It's not the doors - it's the rocker panels. Look underneath and you'll see the fixings.

The bonnet is trickier....
Are the rocker panels adjustable I couldn't see anything, panel under the door looks like its part of the body.

I did notice a video add for an SVR and in the video you can clearly see the hood/bonnet alignment was out as much as mine so its looks to be just how it is

Last edited by LedZepplin; 06-10-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

my door is like that as well (passenger is flush, driver has a lip). Pointed it out to dealer and they shrugged. Nobody but me can tell so I stopped worrying about it. Compartment is water tight.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Took my car to the spray wash place. No panels out of place, yet water in though the windows and down below at the sills...

Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues