F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I had two bolts sheer off due to a pothole, and it made both my nose panels wildly wobbly, etc. They fixed it, and the problem was fixed, but I notice impossibly imperceptible problems with the panels...

No one could tell, and so my philosophy is to aggressively work against my own ADD. But it is interesting.... also know the trunk lines end up off a bit after aggressive road trip packing.

But no one can tell, so is it an issue?!?! =) LOL

Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
+1. I've had this issue too.
me too. I am taking it to the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
F355c5 (08-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Took the car in to get the "difficult fuel filling" TSB done this morning at San Jose Jag. While I was there I checked 4-5 other F-Types and 3 had the hood/bonnet alignment passenger side issue i.e. same as mine (see prev pics) and 3 had the drivers side door sticking out a little. Seemed to be on F-Type R's more than the V6. So now I know its just a quirk of the car. Wouldn't be a Jag with some quirks

Different question is there a way to turn off the Active drive i.e engine turns off when car is not moving and foot is on the brake. Default is always on when you start the car.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by LedZepplin; 06-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If the hood is sticking out a bit on one side, that's typical of the hood not being closed properly. Your pix, though, look like an actual alignment issue.

What year is your car? On older models, which have a 2nd battery in the trunk related to ECO mode, disconnecting that battery would permanently disable ECO mode. There are threads related to this, so try searching for it.

LedZepplin (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by simonnallen
Different question is there a way to turn off the Active drive i.e engine turns off when car is not moving and foot is on the brake. Default is always on when you start the car.

Thanks
Simon

I see you have '16 R. See this thread for the solution. It works like a charm!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...attery-146010/

LedZepplin (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Default JTB00443NAS2 fuel filling

Originally Posted by DJS
What year is your car? .
Its a 2016 MY R

So had the TSB JTB00443NAS2 completed for the fuel filling issue and first fill up is no better. I had to tilt the filler nozzle 45 degrees and fill at half speed to get a full tank.

The parts replaced were
T2R22548 Pipe Fuel Filler
C2D38206 Cap-Fuel Filler
T2R21273 Shield.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Couple warranty items for me:

- Radiator fan internally failed. Caused the vehicle to get hot in traffic because the fan never turned on. The dealer told me they've seen this before, though I haven't heard of it on here.

- Aluminum side sills on both sides came delaminated and started peeling up.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Couple warranty items for me:

- Aluminum side sills on both sides came delaminated and started peeling up.
Do you mean the ones inside the door that light up with Jaguar. Mine are popping up I have to keep pressing them down.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
my door is like that as well (passenger is flush, driver has a lip). Pointed it out to dealer and they shrugged. Nobody but me can tell so I stopped worrying about it. Compartment is water tight.
Mine seems to be the same, bit out further on drivers side. Dealer said was normal and door adjusments that are avaiable wouldn't fix the projection. He said water is expected to drain out onto door sills and that my door seals are fine.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I choose not to look at it closely.

Uncle Fishbits (09-01-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

2014 S BRG
3 issues i'v noticed:

1. the paint peeling on the rear panel behind the door (#3 on the list in the OP)

2. Park button on the gear selector is worn off, allowing the red light to show through the entire button not just the P and night.

3. Passenger side hood latch isn't latching/locking, possible cause of misaligned hood over a 1/2".

my warranty period is wrapping up i need to get it in. Any other bulletins i should bring up while at the dealership?
Other then that, an absolutely amazing driving experience.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Water Pumps, Mystery Chirps and Scratch Happy Dealers

The service life of the 2014 V8S main water pump is apparently about 19,000 miles, or at least that's when mine started chirping on startup and when dropping to idle. Replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles, but not on the first attempt. First, while chasing the same squeak the dealer did an unnecessary recall involving rotating and wrapping the rear springs, washing the car over my clear, standing and oft-repeated "no wash" order and scratching the $@^# out of my quarter panel while they were at it.

Not sure if the dealer's decision to wash my car caused the scratches, but they use one of those spinning, flapping machines that beats the crap out of the car so it is possible. The water spots pissed me off nearly as much as the scratches. There were several scratches about 18" long across and above the gas filler, they looked more like zipper marks than carwash scratches. Perhaps someone leaned on the car while wearing a jacket. The water spots were on every flat surface. Clearly nobody dried the car after running it through the car wash. The dealer offered to buff the car, but since I suspect they never heard of a clay bar and the entire car was filthy and now needed about $1,500 worth of paint correction, I declined. Normally I don't even use water to wash the car, I just use a waterless aircraft cleaner after every drive. It had essentially no swirls or spots before that service. With effort, I fixed most of the issues, until I took it in again last month to try to get one last service before the warranty expires.

This time, they didn't wash the car, the water pump seems to have fixed the chirp, but they deeply scratched my kitty's nose. They also stored the car outside for over a week, including one day of rain, so now it has a new crop of water spots even though it wasn't washed. I didn't even bother pointing it out. The nose will have to be wet sanded this time. I also smell a little coolant when I park the car, I am hoping it is just residue. I will probably take it back one more time to point it out if it doesn't clear up by itself in the next two or three weeks.

The water pump failed after normal use. I do run around in 3rd gear on the backroads, and I redline the car whenever I feel like it, but I would not say it has been abused. I warm it up before I drive it hard and I cool it down before I shut it off. I've done extra oil changes. I keep it in the garage. It doesn't go through car washes. Corrosion wasn't an issue. I wonder if a better part number is out there for the SVR...

See my other post (Water Pumps, Intercoolers, Superchargers and Christmas Trees) for the symptoms on the secondary (supercharger/intercooler) water pump that also failed, with associated crazy symptoms.

Best,

Brad in Enumclaw

Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
...the dealer did an unnecessary recall involving rotating and wrapping the rear springs...
Many 2014s had creaky springs, which this was intended to fix. Mine was subtle enough that I didn't bother.

Sounds like you need to find another dealer.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Water Pumps, Superchargers, Intercoolers and Christmas Trees

The secondary water pump (the electronic one) that sends coolant to the air/water heat exchanger (intercooler) for the supercharger can underperform, apparently particularly if the battery is undercharged, for example after driving the car in Dynamic Mode or putting the top up and down a couple of times. When it does, the dash lights up like a Christmas Tree.

In normal driving, the intercooler water pump sits idle. Drive the car at over 2,500 rpm for a few miles and produce some sustained boost drives the intake temperature up and the pump activates. This circulates coolant through the intercooler and cools the intake charge. (I've already removed the engine cover to help cool the supercharger itself). My theory is that while driving hard in Dynamic Mode, especially when operating at the limits of traction, the electrical system has excess demand and the pump does not get the voltage it needs to function properly.

I find it hard to believe the pump completely failed, I think it underperformed. A voltage gauge in the accessory port reads as low as 11.3 volts in Dynamic Mode at times. In any event, if the pump tries to turn on, but does not, or maybe if it doesn't work as well as it should for whatever reason, an intake air temp sensor detects high intake air temps and sends the car into a self-protection mode that lights up the dash like a Christmas tree. One reason the problem is rare may be that most supercharged V8 jags are left in auto mode and never see high enough rpms to even trigger the pump. Only fully loaded, overtaxed electrical systems would have the issues that I am describing, so less-optioned cars (V6 cars with mechanical diffs and no dynamic mode) should not have this issue).

In my car, I pointed out the problem at the first service. I mentioned that using a CTEK charger prevented this from happening. The dealer found nothing wrong, I bought new batteries, thinking this may be an issue. The problem recurred. Using the charger prevented the problem, but again, I could trigger it at will by simply not using the charger and driving in Dynamic Mode at high speed, so I pointed it out again at follow up services. This time I had a new service rep so I thought I would give it one more shot. My decision to keep the car sort of turned on how difficult this would be to resolve. The RWD V8S is the only F-Type I had any interest in owning, but only if it can be repaired. Our nickname for the car, based on body shop experience on our prior unit, is "unfixable jag".

When the dash lit up, I detected no discernable loss of performance, but the warnings caused by the pump failure were enough to slow me down until they went away. The codes include ABS Not Available, Special Modes Not Available, E-Diff Not Available, Parking Brake Not Available, Electronic Speed Control Not Available, Stability Control Not Available, etc.). Plugging the car onto a CTEK charger (and starting the car twice) not only cleared the warnings but also prevented future warnings from occurring. Failure to use the charger, combined with spirited driving, especially in dynamic mode, with resultant high intake temps, caused the warnings to return. By "spirited driving" I mean driving the car hard enough to use the full capabilities of the dynamic mode system, in cornering, braking and acceleration. The car is pretty amazing when driven in this manner.

According to the new service rep, these warnings left nothing in the car's computer for the technician to find. I asked him to review the service history, told him that I replaced the batteries when the car was new, just a couple of months after I got it. I explained that the car had sat on a lot in Idaho for awhile (I leased it late in 2014 to replace an early 2014 F-Type V8S that was totaled after I hit a deer) so I figured the batteries might have been improperly charged).

The dealer almost gave the Jag back without repairing it again this time because there was "no history of codes related to dynamic mode, ABS etc. and therefore we can find nothing wrong with any of those systems". He said there was one stored code related to intake temps. After I pointed out that I could get it to throw the codes at will, the tech did some more research and decided the secondary water pump could indeed cause high intake temps and that if that happened I might see those warnings on the dash. Then he asked me if I tracked the car, because that might cause overheating of the E-Diff, which apparently also causes similar dash warnings. I told him I had never tracked the car, but that I do drive it in a spirited manner. I am considering installing a differential cooler. If it needs one, it should have had one from the factory.

It took a lot of patience to get them to replace this pump. The dealer scratched the car in the process, this is the second time they have scratched my car in service, this time it will need wet sanding. I didn't even point it out this time. I now expect the finish to be damaged when it goes in for service.

The service experience on this car is nowhere near what I expected for a $108,000 car, nor for a luxury brand. If I didn't love driving the car itself, I would not put up with it.

Best,

Brad in Enumclaw

SVR (09-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Note that we've had previous discussions about the charging system on the F-type - it doesn't appear to produce as high a voltage as other cars, and may not fully charge the battery.

[This is my memory from old threads - been a while since we discussed it.]

But a voltage monitor in the power port may produce interesting results.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 AM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by simonnallen
While I was there I checked 4-5 other F-Types and 3 had the hood/bonnet alignment passenger side issue i.e. same as mine (see prev pics) and 3 had the drivers side door sticking out a little. Seemed to be on F-Type R's more than the V6. So now I know its just a quirk of the car. Wouldn't be a Jag with some quirks
If one of those 3 was the white SVR, that is now my car. I was going to take it in to have them adjust the door and see what they could do about the rattles inside, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. All the unintended consequences of taking everything apart and putting it back together is not something I wish to experience.

The overall build quality of this car is complete ****. I've lost count of how many cars I've had over the last 20 years, but this is my first Jaguar. After only 800 miles, it's certainly my last.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
The overall build quality of this car is complete ****.
Oh man, so sorry to hear that! Certainly not what you want when paying THAT much... Hoping for better times ahead...

Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I choose not to look at it closely.
Yeah, me too. Car is fun, it's built extremely well. I love it. Any manufacturer is going to have electrical issues, etc. But as for the lines and styling "issues", it's simply whether you are OCD and fastiduous to the point of being **** retentive. Reminds me of Phil Hartman as the **** retentive chef, or handyman.

The fact is, I keep expectations low. That is legitimately the key to happiness. If imperceptible 1/100th millimeter differences that only you can notice is going to occupy your time, you've got a lot more itchy idiosynchrasies you are likely constantly dealing with. But I do know some of us are like that, as I remember the conversation between the insanely methodical car collector, and the other people who were like "I am like that with watches" etc.

It takes all types. We're F-Types, and we're still different. =) But man, I figure if that stuff bugged me, everything in life would bug me, and that is a downer.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Yeah, me too. Car is fun, it's built extremely well. I love it. Any manufacturer is going to have electrical issues, etc. But as for the lines and styling "issues", it's simply whether you are OCD and fastiduous to the point of being **** retentive. Reminds me of Phil Hartman as the **** retentive chef, or handyman.

The fact is, I keep expectations low. That is legitimately the key to happiness. If imperceptible 1/100th millimeter differences that only you can notice is going to occupy your time, you've got a lot more itchy idiosynchrasies you are likely constantly dealing with. But I do know some of us are like that, as I remember the conversation between the insanely methodical car collector, and the other people who were like "I am like that with watches" etc.

It takes all types. We're F-Types, and we're still different. =) But man, I figure if that stuff bugged me, everything in life would bug me, and that is a downer.
+1 I get that the car is expensive and people have higher expectations but many of the complaints I read.......are for things I wouldn't even pay attention to. I've had cars that I obsessed about to the point where I'd seldom drive them (and I'd worry the whole time I did), but the idea of the F type purchase (for me) was to buy a fun car that looks great and not to have to worry about every little rock chip or mark.....worst case, they're still making more of them every day.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I have an early 2014 V8S that has been as bullet proof as the Toyotas that I've owned. It now has 30K because I commute to work. Do I want it to look nice - you bet. Do I obsess over stone chips - nope. If you want it to always be perfect, keep it covered in the garage. I bought mind to drive and enjoy.

DPelletier (09-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues