F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No! Another Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oh No! Another Tire question

Ok, I need new tires like yesterday! My question is, do you have your tires put on by Jaguar or do you go to someplace like Discount Tire? I called Jag to see if they would install tires not purchased through them and waiting for a call back. I never thought twice about going to costco or discount until someone at work gasped at the mention of it. He said you don't take that car to a discount tire....heck..i don't know so I thought I would see what you all do.
Thanks

Old 04-24-2020, 11:15 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

If your not too far from South Houston/Clearlake, I definitely recommend Tires by Design, their machines are newer and their Technicians are really careful.
If not, I have taken multiple high end cars to Discount without issue but YMMV.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Some folks here speak highly of Costco - not a member, so no opinion. I had Tire Rack ship to local installers, who were great. I personally wouldn’t have a problem with a discount shop changing a tire, though they wouldn’t be my first choice for putting a set on. If you’re in a hurry, why not? Some folks are very paranoid about others touching their car; I’m less so.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Discount Tire or Costco? Sure. Walmart would be a no.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

So long as you buy decent tires, get 'em where you like! I wouldn't go to a dealer simply because of their hourly rates.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Great, thanks for the input

Old 04-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jode
I thought I would see what you all do.
Thanks
It doesn't matter.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

We have bought of our tires & have them installed at Discount Tires for past 25 yrs: Toyotas, Fords, Jeeps, BMWs, Audi, Mercedes, Corvettes
They have a record of all of past purchases & have repaired dozens of nails in tires for free.
No issues, great prices & great service...

Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I've used Discount for years and never had a problem, including the PSS4s on my FType.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:08 PM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts

My son is a manager at Discount Tires and he sees a lot of F-Types and other high end vehicles. I have had them mount and balance my tires for 25 years with no issues. If you're really picky, you can always pick up one of those "no mar" lug sockets and hand that to the service guy when you give him the key to the wheel locks...

Old 04-24-2020, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Most chain tire stores will have the proper equipment to work on lower profile tires such as what the F-Type uses. Your local mom & pop type tire shops likely will not and will tell you.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to use Zohr:

https://zohr.com/

They will come to your house and do the tire install. You don't need to do anything or go anywhere. They do all the exotics in my area (one of the owners is friends with the local exotic car club) so they handle cars that cost a lot more than our F-Types. It is a little more expensive but sitting in your house and knowing your car isn't being abused is worth it.

NavyBlue (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

I use a local tire shop and have never had any issues. I don't like using dealers for tires or bodywork because they just don't do enough of it, and I don't want them learning on my car. The only exception is that if the tech, say Nitrogen filled tires, is unique then the dealer has to do it because the tire shops often aren't yet (and may never be) to speed. Oh, one other area, carbon fiber wheels. Fortunately, the carbon fiber on our cars isn't structural so it isn't an issue, but on some exotics that have these wheels, you really need to go to someone that has worked with them before otherwise they'll break a wheel and that is a $10K non-warranty nightmare. I lusted for those wheels, but for that very reason, I'm not likely to buy them.

Carbuff2 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Discount Tire or Costco? Sure. Walmart would be a no.
Sears and NTB also a big no. Local performance wheel & tire shops are usually a good bet.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (04-25-2020), JacksonvilleJag (04-25-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I like Discount Tire. I have used them on many Mercedes, BMW,s Porsches, Audis, and Jags. Never a problem. Also, I get the tire protection on my new car tires (not bought from them.)

Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I need new tires like yesterday! My question is, do you have your tires put on by Jaguar or do you go to someplace like Discount Tire? I called Jag to see if they would install tires not purchased through them and waiting for a call back. I never thought twice about going to costco or discount until someone at work gasped at the mention of it. He said you don't take that car to a discount tire....heck..i don't know so I thought I would see what you all do.
Thanks
In some regions the installers who sign up with Tire Rack are mobile installers who will come to your home, office, or wherever to install your tires. Either of the two dealership nearest me will install, and sell non-Pirelli tires, but the premium for doing so is massive, being on the order of about 1/3 more through Discount Tire or Tire Rack.

The mobile service I used in South Florida was very accommodating when my tires were within a couple of months of needing replacement and I got yet another nail puncturing my right rear tire just days before hurricane Dorian was expected to make landfall.

Phantomf4collector (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Default Tire rack experience: 20 wheels

Just a note based on my recent experience with Tire Rack. im in the MD area, bough from them michelins for my 20 inch paris wheels.

Selected tireracks recommended installer in my area (AAA) and got tires shipped there.

Installer had me waiting 3 hours and upon inquiring then was told they didn't have the special tools to install the tire.

Called tire rack and they told me to find other installer in their list. NTB , Mr Tire and Firestone all in the recommended installer list said they didn't have the equipment to mount the tires. Ended in a small mom and pop shop which in 40 minutes did all the work. Next time ill go costco and let them ship install and figure it out. their prices are same more or less at least when I checked.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Discount Tire (called America'sTire out here) has been nothing less than stellar for all my cares. I took my F-Type to them when I ditched the P-Zeros.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliot
Just a note based on my recent experience with Tire Rack. im in the MD area, bough from them michelins for my 20 inch paris wheels.

Selected tireracks recommended installer in my area (AAA) and got tires shipped there.

Installer had me waiting 3 hours and upon inquiring then was told they didn't have the special tools to install the tire.

Called tire rack and they told me to find other installer in their list. NTB , Mr Tire and Firestone all in the recommended installer list said they didn't have the equipment to mount the tires. Ended in a small mom and pop shop which in 40 minutes did all the work. Next time ill go costco and let them ship install and figure it out. their prices are same more or less at least when I checked.
Depending on where you live (assuming you are in North America), you might be able to use Zohr:

https://zohr.com/

They will cost more for install/balance, but they come to your house. You don't need to take anything anywhere and you sit inside watching TV the whole time.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I need to replace front tires only due bad alignment. I plan to use a local specialty tire shop if they can do the alignment. My local mech. says that his equipment will not work on the low front of my car.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:57 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks
Don’t worry, there is no such thing as too many Tire questions.

what I did yesterday was go to the Dealer and have two New rear Tires installed.

Quick Reply: Oh No! Another Tire question