Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh oh, end of the F-Type R!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018 | 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FType17
You forgot the Ingenium I6 Turbo 400 and 500 hp
Yes, I did, but only because it appears to have been idle media musings and no definite launch dates set yet. Those engines would indeed be a great addition and return to tradition, especially if the cars could shed just a bit of weight.

Old 03-30-2018 | 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar completely screwed up the badging on the F types anyhow throwing S's and R's out there ***** nilly with little to no logic.

IF the idea is the only way to get a V8 F type is to pony up for the SVR, then I think this is a poor marketing move. OTOH, if they went back to calling the V8R a V8S, I don't think it matters a bit.

Dave

Old 03-30-2018 | 06:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

JLR already have an Ingenium I4 turbo hybrid in production, the Range Rover P400e, see here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-and-info-news
It uses the exact same engine with the exact same tune as in the I4 F-Type, just with a smallish LI electric motor tacked on as well.
I can see this package but with a bigger LI motor going into future F-Types, maybe to replace the R, maybe not.
Another guess - maybe the future F-Type SVR will be a twin turbo I6 plus electric motor and the future F-Type S will be either the turbo I4 plus electric motor or the turbo I6 sans electric motor?

Old 03-30-2018 | 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
JLR already have an Ingenium I4 turbo hybrid in production, the Range Rover P400e, see here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-and-info-news
It uses the exact same engine with the exact same tune as in the I4 F-Type, just with a smallish LI electric motor tacked on as well.
I can see this package but with a bigger LI motor going into future F-Types, maybe to replace the R, maybe not.
Another guess - maybe the future F-Type SVR will be a twin turbo I6 plus electric motor and the future F-Type S will be either the turbo I4 plus electric motor or the turbo I6 sans electric motor?
The Range Rover Sport was the test vehicle for the 400 PHEV. From a standpoint of keeping the F-Type a "Halo Car" the smart path would be to eliminate anything with less than 400hp, have a base 400 Phev and I6 400 HP, a 500HP I6 and the Jaguar tuned BMW V8 (same engine as the new M5, tuned will put out 800+ Hp) for the SVR. With the rumors of a new XK the path may be completely unknown. I understand the P300 for the EU (tax reasons) but it has no place in the US.

Old 03-30-2018 | 06:42 PM

Anticipating battery space issues on the PHEV F-Type, I would think that using suprcapacitors would be a good alternative.

The already in use ZF HP8 transmission can be fitted with a 90KW electric motor (120hp) and 184ftlbs of instant torque by ZF right from manufacturing.

Last edited by FType17; 03-30-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2018 | 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Manufacturers rarely re position their products at lower price points and associated market brand perception levels - unless they have totally misjudged the market and can't shift product.
EXACTLY - There were a slew of 2017 F-Type v8s sitting on dealer lots at the end of the year. Dealers had to discount them 20% to 30% in order to move them. Both myself and my brother-in-law took advantage of the extreme discounts.

They are probably predicting that R buyers will simply pony up the extra $$ for an SVR now as they have enough money for the SVR but don't want to spend it as they have a cheaper V8 option that is basically almost identical.
Anything is possible and while I would agree that a few R buyers would go ahead and "bite the bullet" many more would be buying the SVR from the get go IF the price was correct in the first place (e.g. not $140K but rather 20% lower more around the $100K to $115K price point IMHO). I bought the R myself because I did not feel that the SVR warranted the additional $$$s.

They probably want to also keep the car in the $140k range to keep it in the same bracket as 911's etc from a marketing and image perspective.
If a $140K vehicle is the objective, JLR should really be putting turbo's on the v8 as I think that is the ONLY way to justify that price point IMHO. Fortunately for them the BMW v8 DOES have twin turbos as part of it's design so I could see that justifying the price point and also having a sub 3 second ZERO-to-Sixty spec as well

Last edited by ndabunka; 03-30-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2018 | 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

We know 6's can get to the power so that is what is going to happen.

Old 03-31-2018 | 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

I think JLR, especially now with looming Brexit, needs to decide what market is more important to them. If EU, then hybrids, electric, and turbo I4 all the way. If US, then big V8 all around.

Especially now that Obama fleet MPG targets repealed, there is no excuse for pushing I4s here. Maybe as California-only edition.

US-centric F-type lineup should look like: Base - NA V8 AJ engine, S - SC V8 AJ engine, SVR - BMW twin-turbo V12.

Why V12? Because you can. It doesn't have to make sense, but it has to feel cool.

Last edited by SinF; 03-31-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2018 | 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
We know 6's can get to the power so that is what is going to happen.
Huh? Does this have something to do with a thread titled "end of the F-Type R"? Get to what power? For what purpose? The R is being discontinued. Nothing in the article about discontinuation due to power issues. Oh well, I don't get why a thread on a discontinued R turned this odd corner of petrol vs electric so I'll just unsubscribe from this one for now. LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 03-31-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2018 | 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

My point about sixes has to do with getting V8 performance, look at Alfa's 2.9 with over 500! My Maser 3.0 has 404 but they are about to intro a 500+ and with plenty of touque at low rev's. My Maser has 406 at 1700! So I would expect Jags to do V8's as limited production halo cars in the future at halo prices, BMW V8's at that with straight 6's and 4's from Jag.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018 | 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Jag needs to go back to its roots. I6 and V12 only, and only in the maximum power trim for each. Just one man's opinion.

Old 04-01-2018 | 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jag needs to go back to its roots. I6 and V12 only, and only in the maximum power trim for each. Just one man's opinion.
V12 or half a V12... sounds about right.

Old 04-02-2018 | 07:38 AM

Just some random musings: This action (ending the "R" lines) appears to be another signal that JLR as a brand, is trending toward a focus more on the higher volume (and thus overall higher profit margins) sedan & SUV segments of the market; and more-so away from the sports car segment that it has always been known for and has such a great tradition in. Following the termination of the XK series line-up (with no replacement named), and now seemingly positioning themselves with only one "halo" super-car in the F-type SVR, JLR (Tata) is trying to become just like many other mainstream car manufacturers. It will occasionally put out other SVO products such as the "Project 8", but generally will look to a product line-up more suitable for the masses. Probably the correct market strategy to survive the new age global economy, but alas, another "end-of-an-era" type of move for the hard-core traditionalists.

Old 04-02-2018 | 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
hmmmm, where does that leave people who want a V8 but dont necessarily want the body kit on the SVR?
I know what they could do. How ‘bout a delete option at no cost to the customer and they get to keep the expensive bits.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagged Wire:
BruceTheQuail (04-02-2018), ndabunka (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018 | 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hades281
Jaguar's entire engine lineup is going to change soon anyway. JLR isn't likely renewing their engine contract with Ford, so the V6s and V8s are going away. I'm hoping for a strong Ingenium I6 to replace the V6 - maybe 450hp, and then the SVR option.
I wonder how they would shoehorn an I6 under the bonnet?

Old 04-02-2018 | 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

2015R. Even more happy to have one now than ever before.

Cleaner, original classic design. No coffin interior and no tacky add ons. The raw feel of RWD (especially with Pzeros haha)

But I still love all FTs. Even the 4-pot now.

Old 04-02-2018 | 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Just some random musings: This action (ending the "R" lines) appears to be another signal that JLR as a brand, is trending toward a focus more on the higher volume (and thus overall higher profit margins) sedan & SUV segments of the market; and more-so away from the sports car segment that it has always been known for and has such a great tradition in. Following the termination of the XK series line-up (with no replacement named), and now seemingly positioning themselves with only one "halo" super-car in the F-type SVR, JLR (Tata) is trying to become just like many other mainstream car manufacturers. It will occasionally put out other SVO products such as the "Project 8", but generally will look to a product line-up more suitable for the masses. Probably the correct market strategy to survive the new age global economy, but alas, another "end-of-an-era" type of move for the hard-core traditionalists.
Or put another way... JLR is mimicking other large manufacturer's as those other manufacturer's have shown that it's a proven model for remaining in business

Versus a number of failed attempts at be "boutique" car manufacture that had to be bailed out numerous times in the past to the point that what was originally the pride of Britain was sold to Ford and now is owned by an Indian company. An Indian company owning a British label speaks rems about the irony though, right?

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:06 PM

I just have trouble seeing how Jaguar has a market big enough for all of the models it now offers, unlike GM or Toyota. From what I can see, all of JLR sold just over half a million vehicles in a year. That compares with Volvo and look at the much smaller number of models Volvo markets. I suppose Tata thinks more models means more growth. I do not profess to know any answers, but the F-Type lineup, now, confuses me and I have been driving a simple R for 2 years.

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018 | 03:12 PM

Surely the current 5.0 SC units they are using won't be around much longer full stop and they will be changed to a V8 TT unit like Aston Martin have recently done?

Old 04-03-2018 | 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Regarding the V12, we can certainly dream, I would love a modern Jaguar designed V12 engine.

Sadly I cannot see the introduction of a new V12 becoming reality although I would love to be wrong !

Quick Reply: Oh oh, end of the F-Type R!