F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil capacity again for 3.0 f type 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil capacity again for 3.0 f type 2016

So yeah quick question i have 2016 f type v6 3.0 base there has been mixed information on oil capacity for our vehicles so i was charged for 9 quarts at dealer and oil reading is ok is it over filled or over charged or just well drained. Was charged shy of $530 here in san antonio ) i dont mind but noticed inflation has been making a killing ) please help should i try to remove some or just leave as is and base it off what the system says.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

For all F-Type V6 and V8 it is the same, 7.25 litres for RWD and 6.5 litres for AWD.
Those are the "wet fill" or oil change amounts, a new "dry" engine takes around 1.5 litres more.
Yours should be RWD so 7.25 litres which is 7.66 US quarts.
So yes being charged for 9 quarts is a slight over-charge especially seeing as dealerships use a machine to dispense the oil so they can get an accurate measure with no wastage.
It's very common almost SOP for a dealership to over-fill an AWD by putting 7.25 litres in instead of 6.5 litres but I have never before heard of a dealership over-filling a RWD deliberately or not.
Before panicking I reckon you should check the oil level read-out over a few days. Do it in the morning after leaving the car overnight and before starting the engine, and make sure the car is dead level. My bet is it will read "max" or at least "OK" every time so no need to remove any oil and nothing to worry about. If so it would seem the dealership put the correct amount in so who knows why they charged you for 9 quarts and you should query them on it and ask for some money back.
Last but not least, why are you getting a dealership to change the oil on a 7 year old car that is bound to be out of warranty? As you have found they charge like a wounded bull for no good reason, $530 for just an oil (and filter?) change is highway robbery. You can DIY this for well south of $100 in 20 minutes flat and no mess, just get yourself a vacuum/extraction pump such as a MityVac.

The following 4 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Hovanphi102 (04-25-2023), jcb-memphis (04-25-2023), Jdwoody17 (04-26-2023), Simonusa0 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 08:33 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree with OzXFR. If the only thing the dealer did was an oil and filter change you were hosed.
If you have even the slightest mechanical ability, doing an oil & filter change on an F Type if you have a Mityvac is actually easier than the old school method of jacking the car up, removing the underbody panels and pulling the drain plug. And it is quick and mess free.

Figure $100 for a Mityvac, $35 for a factory oil filter, $10 for a filter wrench to fit the housing cap, $50 for a good torque wrench designed to read lower settings like under 50 ft lbs (and not one used to torque lug nuts) and 7 quarts of oil at around $100 and you are well under $530. And you will be able to do the next change for around $135 since you already have the Mityvac and other tools. And that is using the best quality, approved by Jaguar oil and not the cheapest oil from Walmart.

There are also some good videos on Youtube to walk you through the process if you are the least bit intimidated.

The following users liked this post:
Jdwoody17 (04-26-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 05:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

In addition to my F-Type I have an F-Pace. It was overfilled by the dealership a month ago (I chose to have the dealer do it for $220 while it was still within the CPO warranty period so that if something else happened they couldn't say '"you didn't keep up with the service schedule, so you invalidated your warranty". I always planned to do all future oil changes myself.
SO..they put 8 Liters in which is the dry fill amount instead of 6.5L to 7L and when I later checked the vehicle menu showed it was overfilled (photo). I went back and was not happy at all. They verified it was 13% overfilled per their JLR scantool and then removed the extra liter. I then and asked for a refund of the cost of the extra 1 liter they charged me. I could have asked for more for such a basic mistake especially as excessive overfill can cause engine issues, but decided to keep things relatively civil.
You should go back and do the same and ask them to justify with a breakdown of labor and material why the heck they charged you $530 if that was indeed all just for an oil change (and any other vehicle 'health checks' like tire tread depth that you didn't ask for don't count as chargeable). Take a photo of the oil level to verify and as evidence.

Last edited by Simonusa0; 05-01-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:30 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I agree with OzXFR. If the only thing the dealer did was an oil and filter change you were hosed.
If you have even the slightest mechanical ability, doing an oil & filter change on an F Type if you have a Mityvac is actually easier than the old school method of jacking the car up, removing the underbody panels and pulling the drain plug. And it is quick and mess free.

Figure $100 for a Mityvac, $35 for a factory oil filter, $10 for a filter wrench to fit the housing cap, $50 for a good torque wrench designed to read lower settings like under 50 ft lbs (and not one used to torque lug nuts) and 7 quarts of oil at around $100 and you are well under $530. And you will be able to do the next change for around $135 since you already have the Mityvac and other tools. And that is using the best quality, approved by Jaguar oil and not the cheapest oil from Walmart.

There are also some good videos on Youtube to walk you through the process if you are the least bit intimidated.
This is what I have done and I have never done an easier oil change. I needed to drill out the hole in a Mityvac connector to better fit withdrawal tube under the filler cap but that is trivial. I can't image an easier oil change.