Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can?

I am exploring the possibility of installing oil catch can. The primary reason for this is to address my concern that track use and spirited driving elsewhere will lead to sludge build up on the valvetrain due to blow-by.

Q1: Does anyone know if V6 prone to sludge and carbon under heavy use?
Q2: Anyone opened up valve cover after a year or so of use? What did you find there?
Q3: Anyone installed oil catch can, and if so how much do you 'catch' between oil changes?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I am exploring the possibility of installing oil catch can. The primary reason for this is to address my concern that track use and spirited driving elsewhere will lead to sludge build up on the valvetrain due to blow-by.

Q1: Does anyone know if V6 prone to sludge and carbon under heavy use?
Q2: Anyone opened up valve cover after a year or so of use? What did you find there?
Q3: Anyone installed oil catch can, and if so how much do you 'catch' between oil changes?

Thanks!
Although I can't answer your questions, you raise an interesting topic, I will be visiting my dealer service dept. next week..

> phoned the service advisor for the appointment to change oil/filter and asked about the 'oil catch can' and he gave me the usual lecture on the fact that they would not modify the car in any way etc. etc.. And if the car needed this modification then Jaguar engineers would have added it already.

> The master mechanic that works on my car will be able to give me some feedback around any incidents he is aware of concerning fouled valves / and has he installed one before etc.. and I will pass it on. He most certainly would add the oil catch can if I asked him to if it was my preference to do so and he believed no harm would come to the engine.... and in this case it seems obvious no harm would be done.
Lawrence.

The following users liked this post:
F Type Terry (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur

> phoned the service advisor for the appointment to change oil/filter and asked about the 'oil catch can' and he gave me the usual lecture on the fact that they would not modify the car in any way etc. etc.. And if the car needed this modification then Jaguar engineers would have added it already.
I'd have to agree with him. With the use of synthetic oils and the use of high quality premium fuel (with proprietary additives), I have just not been witnessing the sludge and carbon buildup that was normal during the last century.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have just not been witnessing the sludge and carbon buildup that was normal during the last century.
Unfortunately this last century problem is back for DI engines. For example:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893748

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1025545

http://blog.modbargains.com/get-nuts...et-clean-tune/

Last edited by SinF; 05-13-2016 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-13-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

As mentioned, my F type R was in for oil / filter today and here are a couple of points that the master mechanic made based on questions I asked him:

.. Is an Oil Catch Can a worthwhile investment on the V-8.. He advised that the Jaguar needs to be pushed hard, at least at times otherwise you end up with rough idle / carbon build up etc .. and he sees this all the time with cars that are babied. His view of my Jaguars (over a few years) is that they are kept quite clean due to my heavy foot. However, he knows of cars with Oil Catch Cans and although they usually only collect a spoon full of oil over the change interval, his opinion is that its better caught than ending up on the valves. I'm going to order one and he said he would install.

.. His other concern is that too many owners wait and exceed the oil change recommendations and he says this will lead to problems over time.

.. The famous speaker rattle is an upcoming 'fix' from Jaguar that he expects to see in a month or so.

.. I had the 02 flash and my car still snaps and pops.. not sure but it may be a bit less now, however will judge this in over a week or so.

.. And as an aside, the finance rates and information for the new XE is going to be released tomorrow.
Lawrence.

Last edited by Mulmur; 05-18-2016 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
Mbourne (05-18-2016), Smoke Em (05-18-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

We discussed about putting a catch can on a 5.0L XFR here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...an-yet-138452/

I actually have a catch can sitting under my desk to put on the XJR but haven't got round to it.

There are a few members with older Jags, 4.2L who have put catch cans on, I think they are also linked back in that thread.

The biggest concern I have heard from people who know, is that fitting the catch can could create a source of a vacuum leak. So ideally we should have a made-to-order hose setup that just clips in place.

There are such kits for the Mustang V8, but there is also the demand for them which justifies making OEM-style hose kits to suit. With the Jags it's such a small volume I think it will be a struggle to make a truly OEM-style setup.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
As mentioned, my F type R was in for oil / filter today and here are a couple of points that the master mechanic made based on questions I asked him:

.. Is an Oil Catch Can a worthwhile investment on the V-8.. He advised that the Jaguar needs to be pushed hard, at least at times otherwise you end up with rough idle / carbon build up etc .. and he sees this all the time with cars that are babied. His view of my Jaguars (over a few years) is that they are kept quite clean due to my heavy foot. However, he knows of cars with Oil Catch Cans and although they usually only collect a spoon full of oil over the change interval, his opinion is that its better caught than ending up on the valves. I'm going to order one and he said he would install.

.. His other concern is that too many owners wait and exceed the oil change recommendations and he says this will lead to problems over time.

.. The famous speaker rattle is an upcoming 'fix' from Jaguar that he expects to see in a month or so.

.. I had the 02 flash and my car still snaps and pops.. not sure but it may be a bit less now, however will judge this in over a week or so.

.. And as an aside, the finance rates and information for the new XE is going to be released tomorrow.
Lawrence.
I should add regarding the Oil Catch Can.. he said to be sure and get one with a filter inside it, as it filters the oil out of the vapour and he had lots of parts sitting around to install it. He pointed to the rear of the engine as to where he would install.
Once I get around to doing it, I'll take a picture. As well, I'm not sure which brand I will end up with.
As well, he did not say it was a strong recommendation, just a preference.
Lawrence.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

You can use just a clear case fuel filter.

The Fram G3 or Fram G2 with 3/8" and 1/4" nipples are
often used in this role.

For a few dollars, they are throwaway items.