F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil change

Appreciating that the "normal" way to drain the engine oil on an F-Type is thru suction (suction hose right beside the filler cap), does anyone know if the F-Type also has a traditional drain plug underneath? As I have not yet had a chance to put my F-Type up on a hoist to look. Have checked this site and have also Googled, but do not seem to find the answer to my question.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Question Correct Oil

For the V6, all available info points to WSS-M2C925 or STJLR.51.5122 specs. The only oil I can find meeting those specs is the Castrol Edge Professional OE 0-20W that appears only to be available in Europe. My local dealer uses Castrol Edge Professional 0-20W (no OE) which neither claims nor denies meeting those specs. It could be that the OE stands for "original equipment", is the exact same oil, and was established for market differentiation (confusion) to allow dealers to sell something at a higher price (which they are doing with the non-OE at $13.35/liter anyway). Anybody have any comment or confirmation of suitability or similar application by other dealers?

Old 10-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm interested in responses to this as well. Reason being i'm not real close to any Jaguar dealer and would prefer to buy the oil myself and have my mechanic do the oil change if he's able to.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Wow- talk about thread hijack!

The OP was asking about the presence of a drain plug.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Wow- talk about thread hijack!

The OP was asking about the presence of a drain plug.
What oil to use after you find a drain plug seems to be fairly relevant.

Anyway, went to the dealer to get an answer.
The Castrol edge professional 0w-20 (no trailing letters) specifically meets the Jag specs as stated on the bottle.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Wow . . . poor guy just wants to know whether there's drain plug or not, and he gets a dissertation on oil specs.

I believe the answer is that there is no drain plug on the oil pan. However, you can buy an oil extraction (suction) device very cheaply at almost any auto supply store or on-line.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe I should have been more clear on my response, I to am interested if there's a drain plug or not. I'm not for sure in my mechanic is equip to vacuum out the oil but if our cars have a drain plug and I could obtain the right oil then I know my mechanic could change the oil. Defiantly not trying to hijack the thread so my apologies if it came across that way.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by strippersteel
Maybe I should have been more clear on my response, I to am interested if there's a drain plug or not. I'm not for sure in my mechanic is equip to vacuum out the oil but if our cars have a drain plug and I could obtain the right oil then I know my mechanic could change the oil. Defiantly not trying to hijack the thread so my apologies if it came across that way.
You weren't the hijacker. See post above yours:

There is NO DRAIN PLUG

Old 10-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by strippersteel
This is not on you. I take full blame. I figured that a discussion of motor oil in a thread titled Oil Change would be appropriate. (and I'm sticking to that story).

inmanlanier (11-29-2022)
Old 10-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
This is not on you. I take full blame. I figured that a discussion of motor oil in a thread titled Oil Change would be appropriate. (and I'm sticking to that story).
I changed from canola oil to EVOO as part of today's Thanksgiving dinner preparations. Damn turkey has it's own drain plug. No vacuum required.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Sump plug

Originally Posted by teacoff
Appreciating that the "normal" way to drain the engine oil on an F-Type is thru suction (suction hose right beside the filler cap), does anyone know if the F-Type also has a traditional drain plug underneath? As I have not yet had a chance to put my F-Type up on a hoist to look. Have checked this site and have also Googled, but do not seem to find the answer to my question.
Not sure if you have a V8 or V6?

If it's a V8 lump, then it sure does....

Old 10-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like no drain plug, at least on the 6. Will use a turkey baster to suction out oil. Seeing that today is Thanksgiving in Canada...

Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Tel,

Thanks for the clarification, but I suspect you'd have remove the large panel covering the bottom of the engine. Thus, it's not conveniently accessible without putting the car on a lift, then removing that panel.

With an easily accessible extractor tube, the preferred method is a no-brainer, while leaving the car on the ground.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by teacoff
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like no drain plug, at least on the 6. Will use a turkey baster to suction out oil. Seeing that today is Thanksgiving in Canada...
THIS IS INCORRECT. The V6 very much has a drain plug. Its in the same location as the illustration above. JLR also outlines oil change procedures using the siphon/vacuum method or drain method. If you do go with the drain method, it calls for a NEW drain plug and torque for the drain plug is 24nm.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 10-12-2015 at 07:06 PM.
inmanlanier (11-29-2022)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
THIS IS INCORRECT. The V6 very much has a drain plug. Its in the same location as the illustration above. JLR also outlines oil change procedures using the siphon/vacuum method or drain method. If you do go with the drain method, it calls for a NEW drain plug and torque for the drain plug is 24nm.
Foosh's comment goes for the V6 as well though: A massive plastic pan under the car needs to be dropped to gain access to the drain plug. Well worth the $40-60 needed to buy a good siphon pump for the job to avoid dissecting the underside of the car. On the similar Ford engines, Ford even calls for using the siphon tube to extract the last third of a quart left in the sump after the oil is drained out the plug.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
For the V6, all available info points to WSS-M2C925 or STJLR.51.5122 specs. The only oil I can find meeting those specs is the Castrol Edge Professional OE 0-20W that appears only to be available in Europe. My local dealer uses Castrol Edge Professional 0-20W (no OE) which neither claims nor denies meeting those specs. It could be that the OE stands for "original equipment", is the exact same oil, and was established for market differentiation (confusion) to allow dealers to sell something at a higher price (which they are doing with the non-OE at $13.35/liter anyway). Anybody have any comment or confirmation of suitability or similar application by other dealers?
This is good information if you want to 100% make sure you maintain your warranty. If you are out of warranty or realize that no dealer is going to be able to tell specifically what kind of oil you put in, its pretty useless. All the big oil brands are going to meet that spec... but jaguar has a deal with Castrol and thus only approves whatever they put in the engine from the factor. This will not make your motor magically healthier...

Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
T All the big oil brands are going to meet that spec...
That may be true, but you need to know exactly which formulation of the many that they each sell. Note on the bottles: different grades meet different specs. And until Jag refers to standard lubrication industry specs (eg API or ASTM), it is difficult to know which meets the specs Jag specs. For example, the Jag specs appear to require extremely high levels of Titanium in the oil additive package.

inmanlanier (11-29-2022)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Tel,

Thanks for the clarification, but I suspect you'd have remove the large panel covering the bottom of the engine. Thus, it's not conveniently accessible without putting the car on a lift, then removing that panel.

With an easily accessible extractor tube, the preferred method is a no-brainer, while leaving the car on the ground.

That is correct; the splash guard underneath has to come off first to gain access to he sump plug.

Sometime down the line (after the warranty expires) I will remove mine, measure up, and cut a 2 ½'' hole out that I can fill with a nitrile bung, to gain access without dropping the guard in future.

Having never used a suction pump, I'm not sure that it can remove the last of the oil sufficiently thus taking away the most contaminated or 'heavy' oil in the bottom of the sump?

Last edited by Tel; 10-13-2015 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Carp spooling agane!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Having never used a suction pump, I'm not sure that it can remove the last of the oil sufficiently thus taking away the most contaminated or 'heavy' oil in the bottom of the sump?
One can't remove the last of the old oil using the drain plug method in most vehicles either. However, leaving behind a little bit of "dirty oil" is another one of those needless worries.

"The cure for pollution is dilution."

Old 11-27-2022, 03:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2014 V8s, and I usually use an extractor, but want to do it old school this time. I have a new drain plug ready to go but no torque value. I would think the 24 nm quoted for the V6 here would also apply to the v8, but can anyone confirm?

thanks
Steve

Quick Reply: oil change