F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change: Before or after?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 08:22 AM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Oil change: Before or after?

What is the prevailing thinking around these parts? Should one do a fresh oil change before storing a car over the winter for 6 months, or wait for the fresh oil change to be done as part of bringing it out of storage?

I’ve read that some do an oil change before and after storage, but that strikes me as a bit crazy/unnecessary. It was some guy with a Corvette somewhere on a forum. That seems a bit much…

Old 06-23-2024, 08:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Before storage is the best plan. You'll get the pH of the oil back, also minimize condensation and fuel dilution. Remember that the chemistry of whatever is in the sump will be interacting with metals for months in storage.

The other bonus, when it comes out of storage you're ready to drive and enjoy.

It's also best to store with a full tank of fuel to minimize condensation in the tank. Think about whiskey bottles that are low, you get more evaporative loss. More air space in tank the lower on fuel.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CarlB
Before storage is the best plan. You'll get the pH of the oil back, also minimize condensation and fuel dilution. Remember that the chemistry of whatever is in the sump will be interacting with metals for months in storage.

The other bonus, when it comes out of storage you're ready to drive and enjoy.

It's also best to store with a full tank of fuel to minimize condensation in the tank. Think about whiskey bottles that are low, you get more evaporative loss. More air space in tank the lower on fuel.
This is what I thought based on the limited reading I've done in the past to this point, makes sense...

The full fuel tank bit probably matters less if the car is in heated storage I would imagine, but I mean, there's no harm in following that advice for sure. Why not fill it up and add some stabilizer to be certain. Good overall tip for sure I think. That's what I plan to do despite having completely climate controlled storage for the vehicle. Why not...

CarlB (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:41 AM

Also remember once you put it away, don't periodically start it. It's far better to leave it static than to cold start, then never bring the oil up to temperature.

The following 2 users liked this post by CarlB:
Carbuff2 (06-23-2024), sov211 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarlB
Also remember once you put it away, don't periodically start it. It's far better to leave it static than to cold start, then never bring the oil up to temperature.
Yup, my car will be dormant for 6 months at a time for sure like you are suggesting. I don't want to be opening the garage door at all during the winter in order to maintain a constant environment etc...That's the idea...

CarlB (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

The Motor Oil Geek (Lake Speed Jr) says:

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
DMeister (06-23-2024), mvining (06-30-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:48 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Fuel quality is a huge problem. At the end of the season we add Marine Stabil to the tank and warm up the oil by running the engine to operating temperature. Then we change the oil.
Marine Stabil treats the ethanol. Regular red Stabil does not. What ever you do, DO NOT add Seafoam. It’s nothing but more alcohol.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
Fuel quality is a huge problem. At the end of the season we add Marine Stabil to the tank and warm up the oil by running the engine to operating temperature. Then we change the oil.
Marine Stabil treats the ethanol. Regular red Stabil does not. What ever you do, DO NOT add Seafoam. It’s nothing but more alcohol.
Interesting. Costco and Canadian Tire premium gas in my parts claims to have 0 ethanol in it. A friend of mine does the occasional spot test to confirm and he says their claim is true. He's a bit ****. That said, I suspect regular stabilizer would be just fine if using this type of gas.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
The Motor Oil Geek (Lake Speed Jr) says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7hvTWsLIP8
Thanks for posting that, nice...

Old 06-23-2024, 10:36 AM

That video suggests gas can go bad in a couple months?!?!?! Is that the case? My F-type was sitting on the dealer floor for like six months before I took delivery. One has to wonder if they took the time to stabilize it. I would like to think they did, but it would NOT surprise me at all if they did not.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
That video suggests gas can go bad in a couple months?!?!?! Is that the case? My F-type was sitting on the dealer floor for like six months before I took delivery. One has to wonder if they took the time to stabilize it. I would like to think they did, but it would NOT surprise me at all if they did not.
Just think of it as always degrading, like fruit sitting on the counter. After a month it's "worse" than it was at 1 week old. You're probably going to be OK after a month without stabilizer, but like all things "it depends."

Carbuff2 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:49 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

That’s what makes Walking Dead so unbelievable. I can buy Zombies but there’s no way an abandoned car will start right up. Battery will be dead & the fuel will be turpentine.

2018manualftype (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

That video suggests gas can go bad in a couple months?!?!?! Is that the case? .

In theory, yes...in practice not so much.

Even 10% ethanol (which is all we can easily buy in NJ) will still run the engine OK after 6 months.

If your car has other issues tho' stuff can build up and make it difficult to start. And condensation in a less-than-full gas tank is another factor.

Hence, I try to DRIVE our 3 collector cars 30 - 45 minutes weekly, even in winter, on dry sunny days.

Old 06-23-2024, 06:21 PM
Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts

Fuel degrades from its ideal state very quickly but it still works for a long time, I'm sure we've all pulled a two-year-old can of mower fuel from the back of the garage and used it, the mower still fires up lol. It's not good to use old fuel in critical applications or as a regular source, but a tank of old fuel here and there won't be the end of the world. All cars sit for ages between leaving the factory and being driving from the deal to their new home, don't stress about it

Old 06-24-2024, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
Fuel degrades from its ideal state very quickly but it still works for a long time, I'm sure we've all pulled a two-year-old can of mower fuel from the back of the garage and used it, the mower still fires up lol. It's not good to use old fuel in critical applications or as a regular source, but a tank of old fuel here and there won't be the end of the world. All cars sit for ages between leaving the factory and being driving from the deal to their new home, don't stress about it
Yeah, I suppose, especially when you consider all this “lot rot” being talked about these days…All these expensive overpriced pickup trucks from Dodge and the like just sitting there etc…True…

Old 06-24-2024, 06:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Going back to the subject of storing the car for the winter - do you guys also over inflate the tires before you park it in order to avoid flat spots ? If yes, how high do you go ?

Old 06-24-2024, 06:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I raise the pressure to the low 40s, and have never noticed flat spots in the spring.

Old 06-24-2024, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Badgerman
Going back to the subject of storing the car for the winter - do you guys also over inflate the tires before you park it in order to avoid flat spots ? If yes, how high do you go ?
I think that is a good practice, but like you, not sure how overinflated to go…

Old 06-24-2024, 06:22 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

For winter storage, I have always inflated the tires to the maximum recommended pressure as shown on the tire sidewall.
Never had flat spots or any other problem.

Badgerman (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, that's a good tip. No idea why I never thought of that... duh!

Quick Reply: Oil change: Before or after?