Sponsored by:

Oil change kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Oil change kit

FYI, just ordered this oil change kit - 9 qt 5w20 Castrol Edge Pro, filter (with seal) and replacement plug. Very convenient. These guys only know about Rover, not Jag, but it’s the same deal, 2nd time I’ve bought this kit. Has 1 qt more than I need, used 7.5qt last time. And since I use a MityVac, I’ll have a collection of extra drain plugs. But very convenient. Price is $150 plus shipping. Guess there are more options than Castrol now, but I have no complaints with this package.

https://www.roverparts.com/filters/kits/OCK150/

The following 4 users liked this post by DJS:
Damon Parker (03-30-2021), George05 (05-08-2020), rsqrd930 (05-14-2020), Unhingd (05-07-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:14 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
FYI, just ordered this oil change kit - 9 qt 5w20 Castrol Edge Pro
You might want to make sure it meets the new, mandatory as of May 1st, GF-6 standard for economy oils. Castrol's web page seems to indicate it does not, and are pushing SN-Plus as just as good. But the GF-6 standard, as I understand it, attempts to correct major wear protection issues in the SN and SN-Plus standard especially when used in boosted GDI engines.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-08-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:31 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

My Jaguar dealer only charged me $170 for my oil change on my 2014 v8s in February.
I thought that was a reasonable cost. They filled it correctly too!

Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Had so many bad experiences with the local dealer (who may be your dealer), I gave up. I drive up to Scarborough Maine for stuff I can’t/won’t do myself.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Jesus... $150+ shipping for an at home oil change? That's almost $20 a quart for oil, are you guys crazy?! I just paid $39 shipped for 3 OEM filters on ebay, and oil is like $9 a quart at the local auto part store. Shouldn't be over $100 including an OEM filter.

The following users liked this post:
SS4PK (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Jesus... $150+ shipping for an at home oil change? That's almost $20 a quart for oil, are you guys crazy?! I just paid $39 shipped for 3 OEM filters on ebay, and oil is like $9 a quart at the local auto part store. Shouldn't be over $100 including an OEM filter.
Yeah, with Amazon in default on their Prime shipping contract my last batch of 12 qts of usually pricey Liquid Moly 5W-40 was $82, so Walmart is the way to go for low prices.

No need to change the oil filter inside of 10K intervals since they do nothing to address the GDI soot problem. We have to change our oil to filter it.

But even at $50 per oil change every 2K miles, its still 20% cheaper buying both oil + gas than just buying gas, a month ago.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-09-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:57 AM

I use Jaguar of Peabody. I use to use Woburn foreign Motor as they were my area Jaguar dealer before they changed to The Peabody dealership.
Peabody so far has been pretty good.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What oil do you use

Originally Posted by RacerX
Yeah, with Amazon in default on their Prime shipping contract my last batch of 12 qts of usually pricey Liquid Moly 5W-40 was $82, so Walmart is the way to go for low prices.

No need to change the oil filter inside of 10K intervals since they do nothing to address the GDI soot problem. We have to change our oil to filter it.

But even at $50 per oil change every 2K miles, its still 20% cheaper buying both oil + gas than just buying gas, a month ago.
Hi I am a new owner of an F Type R and have been looking at the proper oil to use
I see only a few OEM options 1) Castrol Edge Professional ( dealer ) 2) Motul Specific 3) Mobil 1 ESP X2

Motul seems to be the only one I can get locally without going to the dealer

Are you all just using Mobil 1 0W 20 and not worrying about the JLR requirement ?
Will the GF-6 or API SP supercede that requirement ?

Thank you

Old 05-10-2020, 10:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Beware, Phantom, if you ask 10 different people about what oil to use, you'll get 10 different answers, some from people who know what they're talking about, most from people who think they do. Which is why I still go with what JLR recommends for my car, even though I'll undoubtedly be called stupid for doing so.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
JgaXkr (05-10-2020), Phantomf4collector (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 11:40 AM

Checked my slip the line items are
Oil filter C2D3670 $45
Oil TY 8 Quarts of 0w20 Castro Edge PRO E 217DDB $10.82 ea

I think its smart to use dealer recommended fluid always.
I have done the same on my 2004 xj8 as well.

Phantomf4collector (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phantomf4collector
Hi I am a new owner of an F Type R and have been looking at the proper oil to use
I see only a few OEM options 1) Castrol Edge Professional ( dealer ) 2) Motul Specific 3) Mobil 1 ESP X2

Motul seems to be the only one I can get locally without going to the dealer

Are you all just using Mobil 1 0W 20 and not worrying about the JLR requirement ?
Will the GF-6 or API SP supercede that requirement ?

Thank you
Just so you understand where I am coming from. I put no stock in manufacturer recomendations for the same reason I change my oil every 2K miles instead of the Jaguar recommended 16K interval. 16K is crazy wrong for any boosted GDI for soot issues.

Manufacturers have a vested interest in avoiding heavy EPA fines to meet fleet mileage reqirements, and also to wear your engine out after some reasonable lifespan to get you back to buying. I want my car to last.

Personally, I think any reputable oil brand is fine because a GDI contaminates the oil too fast to make a longevity difference.

I use Liquid Moly 5W-40 since its well priced and reputable, and every performance car in the world uses 40 to 60 weight except the econo Mustang (boosted Mustangs use 50 weight because they are low volume cars WRT fleet mpg averages) and the F-Type.

The 40 SAE weight avoids surface-to-surface metal contact at high RPM. The 5W ensures the same flow characteristic as any 5W when cold.

This debate is never ending, but it really was settled a week ago when the new GF-6 standard obsoleted the defective GF-5 oil Jag recommends...

"GF-6 is the new industry standard for ILSAC grade passenger car motor oils. GF-6 motor oils will facilitate greater fuel economy while improving wear and deposit control, compared to their GF-5 counterparts. These new motor oils will protect against timing chain wear and Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI), a potentially catastrophic phenomena that occurs in GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines. ​​​​​​"

Its important to understand that even the quote above is in the context of predominantly 2.0T GDIs driven by moms for mpg," passenger car motor oils," not performance cars.

There is no way I would use a GF-6 oil either, as the May 1 2020 standard is intended to fix fuel efficient 0W/5W-20 oils which are in no way intended or suitable for performance applications.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
You and I are birds of a feather. I get a lot of my synthetic oil via Walmart (oftimes shipped to my home). I just had my last Jag freebie - don't know where I'll buy my oil next but at the number of miles I drive it will be at least two years from now. Fortunately we have very moderate weather down here in South Florida so as long as I buzz it through the gears occasionally and boil off the condensate - I'm happy!

Old 05-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Beware, Phantom, if you ask 10 different people about what oil to use, you'll get 10 different answers, some from people who know what they're talking about, most from people who think they do. Which is why I still go with what JLR recommends for my car, even though I'll undoubtedly be called stupid for doing so.
Ditto that one - by far THE most emotionally hysterical topic on all automotive forums - which brand of oil to buy and which weight. It brings out the ghouls and goblins.

Having said that, purportedly the superchargers have some particular wear material requirements (is it titanium in the oil?) as I recall (don't quote me - over 60) which drives the Jag spec requirement. I'll likely buy whoever meets the spec - but after that its price. Today's synthetic oils are phenomenal and none of us will ever overtax them with street and occasional track driving.

Phantomf4collector (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by FIRE550:
Carbuff2 (05-10-2020), Phantomf4collector (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Ditto that one - by far THE most emotionally hysterical topic on all automotive forums - which brand of oil to buy and which weight. It brings out the ghouls and goblins.

Having said that, purportedly the superchargers have some particular wear material requirements (is it titanium in the oil?) as I recall (don't quote me - over 60) which drives the Jag spec requirement. I'll likely buy whoever meets the spec - but after that its price. Today's synthetic oils are phenomenal and none of us will ever overtax them with street and occasional track driving.
Castrol makes a designated economy car oil specifically for increased best cruise fuel economy (0W-20) and a Supercar everyday driver oil (10W-60), both have "fluid titanium."

That said, what about all the other boosted performance makes that don't have an OEM agreement with Castrol? They all use SAE 40+ without Castrol's fluid titanuim, some have the same roots supercharger.

Is every single performance car in the world doomed, except the one 0W-20 F-Type because it specifies Fords "Fuel Saver" oil spec? Really?

As I pointed out, last week all GF-5 0/5W-20 oil was replaced by a much stronger GF-6 standard to prevent catastrophic wear observed in economy cars using GF-5 0/5W-20 oil. GF-6B was introduced to sufficiently protect econoboxes running 0W-16.

And all of this 0W-20 premature wear mumbo jumbo was to meet CAFE standards introduced in 1975 to reduce fuel consumption, not for emissions, the coming Ice Age was the fear de jour back then, but to mitigate US foreign oil dependence in the event of a second Arab Oil Embargo. At minus-$38/barrel for the last crude contract settlement, I think CAFE worked. It is time to ditch it it immediately, now it is devastating US oil producers. What a government caused catastrophy.

All the forcibly-misallocated auto design resources, all the wars for oil, and now, nevermind, we don't want it. There's too much oil. Lets charge taxpayers to keep it in the ground.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll stick with the engineers over at Jaguar/land Rover over a guy who doesn't even know about Magnuson-Moss Act!

"Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20, which has been jointly developed with Jaguar Land Rover, improves fuel efficiency and reduces CO2 emissions* while maintaining the reduction in metal to metal friction and wear. The Castrol EDGE Professional range is the only engine oil recommended by Jaguar Land Rover."

Emphasis on * the reduction in metal to metal friction and wear

Old 05-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FIRE550
I'll stick with the engineers over at Jaguar/land Rover over a guy who doesn't even know about Magnuson-Moss Act!

"Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20, which has been jointly developed with Jaguar Land Rover, improves fuel efficiency and reduces CO2 emissions* while maintaining the reduction in metal to metal friction and wear. The Castrol EDGE Professional range is the only engine oil recommended by Jaguar Land Rover."

Emphasis on * the reduction in metal to metal friction and wear
There you have it from the horse's mouth, every other performance brand is doomed to more engine wear because of their higher CO2 emissions.

Jag doesn't even know CAFE standards are unrelated to emissions. And Castol doesn't know 0W has no effect on fuel economy:

"Improves fuel economy (0W grades)"

What a mess. Clueless marketing depts are OOC.

I would say everyone needs to make up their own mind if Jag's proven defective GF-5 econobox oil is right for their baby. But its been replaced for abysmal performance so now its backward compatible GF-6, regardless of one's POV.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well this is an interesting topic and not limited to the F Type.
I have always changed my oil and filter around 5k miles or less on all my vehicles regardless of what the manufacturer says
I am curious as to what is so special about the Jaguar engine that requires a specialty oil very few of us can get easily.
I also have an 07 Honda S2000 which is hi revving and V TEC uses 10W30 and I use Mobil 1 with no problems over the last 12 years

For now I will stick to the OEM required oil requirements but on a much reduced oil change interval
The same goes for the diff, transfer case and tranny.
I have extended warranty but I don't want to rely on it indefinitely
I want a reliable vehicle so I will increase the maintenance and not always drive like I stole it.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this topic

Last edited by Phantomf4collector; 05-10-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phantomf4collector
Well this is an interesting topic and not limited to the F Type.
It sounds like you are doing exactly whats right for you and that's what we all will do.

That said, this issue is actually limited to the F-Type. In that it is the only high performance supercharged V6/V8 that recommends 0W/5W-20 "Ford Fuel Saver" spec. A few borderline powerful sportscars like the Stinger use 5W-30. But every car in the F-Type's class uses SAE 40 to SAE 60.

I can't find a single exception except the normally aspirated high sales volume Mustang comes with 0W-20, but for track use and everyday use in the supercharged GT500 and higher reving normally aspirated GT350, Ford recommends 5W-50. And Whipple recommends 5W-50 after adding their SC kit. So that data point also supports not using SAE 20 weight in the F.

I think its just our UK friends embracing their inner tree hugger. And thats great. I hope they get a good long arm stretching sigh. And if you drive for mpg, 0W-20 makes all the sense in the world.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
It sounds like you are doing exactly whats right for you and that's what we all will do.

That said, this issue is actually limited to the F-Type. In that it is the only high performance supercharged V6/V8 that recommends 0W/5W-20 "Ford Fuel Saver" spec. A few borderline powerful sportscars like the Stinger use 5W-30. But every car in the F-Type's class uses SAE 40 to SAE 60.

I can't find a single exception except the normally aspirated high sales volume Mustang comes with 0W-20, but for track use and everyday use in the supercharged GT500 and higher reving normally aspirated GT350, Ford recommends 5W-50. And Whipple recommends 5W-50 after adding their SC kit. So that data point also supports not using SAE 20 weight in the F.
It ain't just the F-Type, the AJ126 and AJ133 SC engines are used in a range of Jags and Range Rovers and to my knowledge the recommended oil on all of them (since at least 2014) is 0W-20. Yes, you could argue that the F-Type is a high performance vehicle but it would be a stretch to call some of the Range Rovers which use these engines "high performance".

Quick Reply: Oil change kit