F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Changes

I just got my new 2017 Jaguar F-Type Premium and forgot to ask how often I should get an oil change. Will the car just alert me when it needs an oil change? Generally how many miles do you wait before getting the oil changed?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Suggest you consult your warranty and service book but its once a year or every 10K miles.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Suggest you consult your warranty and service book but its once a year or every 10K miles.
Oh wow thats awesome! Much better than twice a year with my previous car which was a mustang!

The following users liked this post:
wortex (12-17-2022)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Longer service interval isn't there to increase your engine's reliability, it is there to reduce total lifetime emissions rating (as it includes fluid changes) of the car.

F-type uses direct fuel injection technology, other manufacturers like BMW and Audi using similar engine technology had serious issues with sludge when using longer oil change interval. It is prudent to change oil more often than maximum recommended interval if you intend to keep the car past warranty period.

It is also important to do your first oil change early.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Longer service interval isn't there to increase your engine's reliability, it is there to reduce total lifetime emissions rating (as it includes fluid changes) of the car.

F-type uses direct fuel injection technology, other manufacturers like BMW and Audi using similar engine technology had serious issues with sludge when using longer oil change interval. It is prudent to change oil more often than maximum recommended interval if you intend to keep the car past warranty period.

It is also important to do your first oil change early.
I am leasing the car for 33 months and total of under 30,000 miles by end of the lease. How early should I get the first oil change?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMcCandless
I am leasing the car for 33 months and total of under 30,000 miles by end of the lease. How early should I get the first oil change?
since they’re free, Do them annually. Otherwise if you’re only keeping the car for 30,000 miles, there would be no point to do more than a single oil change, and then just out of courtesy to the next owner.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-13-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gentleman
This is strange. I check my oil level 1 hour after a nice drive the oil level is showing full. I wait until the next day then check the oil it is showing only half full. I'm starting to think this is a sensor problem. I have spoken to the dealer and there response was to keep an eye on it and to bring it in if it continues..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F Type Terry
Gentleman
This is strange. I check my oil level 1 hour after a nice drive the oil level is showing full. .
How nice(aggressive) was the drive? If you were pushing it hard, it’s quite possible that the temperature differential could account for the difference in level indication.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F Type Terry
I check my oil level 1 hour after a nice drive the oil level is showing full. I wait until the next day then check the oil it is showing only half full.
Keep in mind, this system is setup to read like traditional dipstick - it isn't 50% fill to 100% fill that fluctuates. It is couple % points around normal fill level - where heat and slope can impact this.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RTDM

So, NickMcCandless, you get a new car, and a rather expensive one at that, and you “forget to ask” about oil change intervals. Understandable: taking delivery of a new car is an exciting event, and one can be easily distracted. Had you asked the sales staff you might have received baseless personal opinion. The service staff, on the other hand, would have almost certainly quoted the service manual. But instead of consulting that source, you ask the question on a forum. Wouldn’t it have been easier to simply... read the manual? To quote the bylaws of the FTEU (F-Type Enforcement Unit), “any owner or lessee failing to consult the ample documentation provided with the vehicle is subject, after the third infraction, to confiscation of said vehicle without compensation” (Section 3.2.2). Just sayin.’

Mbourne: “Suggest you consult your warranty and service book but it’s once a year or every 10K miles.” A sound suggestion which, if followed, will give you an interval of 16K miles.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Yes you are correct.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:13 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How nice(aggressive) was the drive? If you were pushing it hard, it’s quite possible that the temperature differential could account for the difference in level indication.
Not sure that this is correct, the oil level sensor measures level via ultrasound reflections from oil surface, it also has a built in temperature sensor, I suspect it corrects for oil temperature.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Not sure that this is correct, the oil level sensor measures level via ultrasound reflections from oil surface, it also has a built in temperature sensor, I suspect it corrects for oil temperature.
All the nice things it is supposed to do aren't seen in practice, where reportedly the car would fail to notify you of low oil condition. I'd treat it as unreliable indicator.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
... I suspect it corrects for oil temperature.
I think you give the Jag engineers too much (and their accountants too little) credit. Since I always see a different reading cold vs hot, I suspect this is not the case.