Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

I'm pretty **** about washing, waxing, and checking fluids on a very regular basis. I've noticed that the oil level can vary a little bit depending upon how long you wait after running the engine, but I have noticed that I was always a little low.

I now have 3000 miles on the R and I was just told to add a quart by the info screen. Has anyone else noticed some oil consumption? Is there a "normal" that's been established for these engines?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Zip, zero, nada, zilch on mine. Level has always been the same before, during, and after 2 oil changes.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Just took mine in for the 2nd change, and prior to that, it still showed full after ~8K miles.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Same here, although
Though I note that the manufacturers of other cars I own/have owned describe "normal" oil consumption as being up to 0.75l per 1000 miles.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Doing some internet searches, I came across this interesting article...

Consumer Reports sees oil vanish from some test cars

Consumer Reports sees oil vanish from some test cars
Consumer Reports News: July 01, 2013 09:08 AM

Lately it seems an undue number of test cars at our track have been going through motor oil. We can remember years when we barely had to add oil to any test car between service visits. Something has changed.

We think most consumers don't want to pop the hood and add oil between oil changes. Those days are gone, in theory. But now we've had several cars that need regular infusions.

Our latest car drinking oil is our $105,000 2012 Porsche Panamera, which is consuming a quart of 0W-40 motor oil about every 2,000 miles. With a 10,000 mile oil change interval, that's five quarts of synthetic oil (at about $8 per) in between oil changes. Several of our drivers got caught out by low oil warning lights and went searching for this obscure lubricant at night while out on the town. And trust us, not every corner convenience store carries 0W-40-weight motor oil. When we talked to Porsche about this, they said this usage was within spec. But we think somebody who bought a $100,000 car probably expects better.

And the Porsche is not the most egregious example. This writer bought the Consumer Reports 2008 Volkswagen Eos test car and kept it for five years. The whole time, it used a quart of equally expensive 0W-20 motor oil every 1,200 miles (accumulating black soot on the rear bumper above the tailpipe the whole way). After several trips back to the local Volkswagen dealer to document the problem, I was told that the VW spec for this engine was, exactly a quart every 1,200 miles. Since I couldn't prove it was using more than that, VW wouldn't help. That car also specified a 10,000 mile oil-change interval, for regular maintenance. By then, all the oil in the sump had been replaced twice.

Learn how to check your engine oil and other maintenance advice in our special section.
This problem has plagued other cars, too. In 2006, Mercedes replaced the V6 engine in one of our test cars under warranty after we finished testing them, because of excessive consumption of 0W-40 oil.

Even Japanese cars known for their reliability have lately been burning oil. When I took our 2012 Subaru Impreza to Boston for a weekend, it dropped down a quart on my way back, prompting a late-night search for more 0W-20 weight oil.

Auto engineers have told me they see no correlation between today's lightweight "0W-" motor oils, designed to reduce friction and save gas, and excessive oil consumption. But in our admittedly anecdotal experience, both the prevalence of such lightweight oils and the propensity of more engines to consume oil seem to be moving in tandem. And our test cars that have had this problem have all used such lightweight synthetic oils.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Continuing the oil discussion here makes more sense than in the other thread...

Just got my car back from the dealer. They didn't ask, but used 5W-20. I don't drive it in the winter, so guess I'm OK with that. List price was $11.50/qt, but they charged me 'only' $7/qt for 8 qts. Total was about $290.

On a side note, I asked them to order touch-up paint for me. $77!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Apparently Motul also has a 0w20 oil that meets or exceeds Jaguar specs..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I add about 1/4 quart every 2,000 miles.

I have found that the dealer grossly overfilled the oil at my first oil change, by the better part of two quarts. This would have masked my oil use had I not sucked the extra out. It just showed at the top mark on the display with all that extra oil in there. So after the oil change, using oil at my known rate it would have been over ten thousand miles before it dropped one hash mark. Maybe that is what they were after. Who knows.

I have tried to keep it one hash mark from full now and when it drops down to the third mark from full, I add a quarter quart. This happens every month or so, especially if driven hard.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well thanks for all the replies so far. Seems like the V6s don't use a drop, the Rs however just might...

I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it uses less now that it's broke in, but I do drive it hard. (I love the feel of the power when you're in dynamic + Sport and rev til the shift light comes on...)

Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I'm pretty **** about washing, waxing, and checking fluids on a very regular basis. I've noticed that the oil level can vary a little bit depending upon how long you wait after running the engine, but I have noticed that I was always a little low.

I now have 3000 miles on the R and I was just told to add a quart by the info screen. Has anyone else noticed some oil consumption? Is there a "normal" that's been established for these engines?
Not a drop. I did have an oil change done at 2800 miles.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I add about 1/4 quart every 2,000 miles.

I have found that the dealer grossly overfilled the oil at my first oil change, by the better part of two quarts. This would have masked my oil use had I not sucked the extra out. It just showed at the top mark on the display with all that extra oil in there. So after the oil change, using oil at my known rate it would have been over ten thousand miles before it dropped one hash mark. Maybe that is what they were after. Who knows.

I have tried to keep it one hash mark from full now and when it drops down to the third mark from full, I add a quarter quart. This happens every month or so, especially if driven hard.
How did you determine it was overfilled? I've never seen a dipstick on my car and the only thing I can check is the indicator on the instrument panel.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

He used an oil extractor and sucked oil until the indicator dropped a notch. At that point it had considerably more than quart in the extractor.

The following users liked this post:
ApolloBeachRetiree (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
He used an oil extractor and sucked oil until the indicator dropped a notch. At that point it had considerably more than quart in the extractor.
OK, I was beginning to wonder where the oil dipstick my car does not have is located. Now I know.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Well thanks for all the replies so far. Seems like the V6s don't use a drop, the Rs however just might...

I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it uses less now that it's broke in, but I do drive it hard. (I love the feel of the power when you're in dynamic + Sport and rev til the shift light comes on...)
Although this sample is too small to draw such conclusions, that's what's been reported in this tread. However, that seems odd to me because:

a) The V6 and V8 are essentially the same design minus cylinder count, and

b) The V6 is actually developing more HP per liter.

I keep mine spinning at the higher end of the power band all the time as well, usually in dynamic mode and manually shifting above 4K.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, according to Amsoil there are many causes of increased oil consumption, some of which are due to engine wear and may not be applicable in cars as new as these. Other causes could be due to variances in manufacture (errors even - like torquing head bolts incorrectly). One would expect individual engines (say all V8) to fall in a similar range though.

Overfilling is one cause that is controllable by the owner.

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesb...onsumption.pdf

Last edited by mshedden; 06-03-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

None of my Jaguars has ever shown any oil consumption. Porsches on the other hand burn through it. Absolutely normal, every Porsche enthusiast has aquart of mobil 1 in the car. I needed to fill up on a trip to NY, more than I had, I ask other drivers with me and was almost simultaneously handed 5 quarts of Mobil 1.
I have never added anything to my Jaguars ( all 5l V8s). In the F Type crusing at 70mph you are turning 1,700rpm not much to burn.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Oil dip stick.

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
OK, I was beginning to wonder where the oil dipstick my car does not have is located. Now I know.

Has anyone had a failure/malfunction of the oil sensor? In following the Audi Forum, there have been issues with their's, so the owner isn't sure whether he's low on oil, or the sensor is malfunctioning. Audi V6 engines still have the oil dipstick port in the engine, but it is filled with a plastic plug. You can pull the plug, buy a real dipstick, and use it to double check the oil level. Is this possible with the Jag V6 and V8 engines?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I have never added anything to my Jaguars ( all 5l V8s). In the F Type cruising at 70mph you are turning 1,700rpm not much to burn.

When I cruise at 70 mph I'm at 4500 - 5500 RPM... in 3rd gear...

Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Cruising which usually means a long distance at the same speed, possibly several hours at those rpms is certainly not recommended and not just for oil consumption.

I too drive most of the time in sport and manual, that is the fun of it. To work which is about an hour I too drive manually however am in 5th when "cruising" there. Spirited driving is another story of course but I never stay at the same rpm for a long time there, it is shifting up and down the gears and running the entire powerband.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Cruising which usually means a long distance at the same speed, possibly several hours at those rpms is certainly not recommended and not just for oil consumption.

I too drive most of the time in sport and manual, that is the fun of it. To work which is about an hour I too drive manually however am in 5th when "cruising" there. Spirited driving is another story of course but I never stay at the same rpm for a long time there, it is shifting up and down the gears and running the entire powerband.
I am going to respectfully disagree. Look at racing events, they last many hundreds of miles over the course of hours. Drivers keep their RPMs near red line for close to the duration off the event. I have seen nothing in the manual that says the car wasn't designed to be (or is unsafe) driven at 4500 RPM. I don't cruise for hours on the highway at the same RPM, but around town, to and from work, normal driving I am through the gears, up and down and accelerate and decelerate through the power band.

Perhaps "cruising" has a different meaning to one another.. The good old cruise around town was certainly not on the highway for a long distance, it was around a few blocks through traffic, showing off the cars to the population in the vicinity...

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption