F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I have a 2 liter graduated cylinder from a lab that I use when I need to measure liquids accurately. Doesn't hold the entire amount but I just put the old oil back into the empty new oil containers after I measure each two liters or part thereof.
Thank you sir....i willl shop for one. I need to be accurate.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Thank you sir....i willl shop for one. I need to be accurate.
Yep, be careful with the level marks shown on some vacuum pump oil extractor containers, I learned the hard way that my cheap Chinese container was miles out and when it indicates 7.25 litres it's really only 6.5 litres! I haven't heard of this problem on a Mityvac though so I suspect they are accurate.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:53 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveHall
thanks Dwight - I had not performed this procedure but will do so and report back. Is this part of a larger procedure document? It certainly looks handy…
steve
Here are the additional pages 1-7. I forget where I found them or I'd just post a link. If you click on each image to open it, you can then right click to save the page and/or print a copy.
Note that it is dated 2014 and the newer models allow oil extraction through the top tube so disregard the parts about pulling the drain plug the old fashioned way. The rest of the instructions are still applicable.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 10-03-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dwight, I did perform the procedure - thanks very much. However, the display still shows engine oil full.

So, the mystery remains - following an oil change by a trusted source (the dealer) last fall, I removed 7.5 l (7.9 quarts) of old oil, and filled with 7 quarts and the oil level shows full.

I used my extractor the extract 5 liters of water that was accurately measured, and it shows 5.2l on the calibration marks of the extractor. Even with that correction, I've still got more than a half liter unaccounted for...

Old 10-03-2021, 11:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveHall
So, the mystery remains - following an oil change by a trusted source (the dealer)..
Given the number of posts on here about dealers overfilling AWD cars, why would you think they're a trusted source?

Old 10-03-2021, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Just a bit of added info not mentioned in Jaguar service literature?

When you change the oil filter be sure and check that there is oil puddled in the bottom of the filter housing, it should NOT be dry! There are anti-drain back valves to prevent the engine from starting dry. We have seen at least two cars where these have failed allowing oil to drain all the way back into the crankcase on engine shutdown. This means the engine has to run for several seconds before the oil pump can fill and pressurize the engine.

Not a common failure but easy to check when doing your own oil change.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
SteveHall (10-05-2021), SVR 575 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Here are the additional pages 1-7. I forget where I found them or I'd just post a link. If you click on each image to open it, you can then right click to save the page and/or print a copy.
Note that it is dated 2014 and the newer models allow oil extraction through the top tube so disregard the parts about pulling the drain plug the old fashioned way. The rest of the instructions are still applicable.
Nup, every V8 and V6 F-Type ever made has the oil extraction tube in the middle of the oil fill hole.
Not sure why the Workshop Manual shows only the sump plug method, maybe coz they expect owners not to bother with buying an extractor pump, even though almost all dealerships use the extractor pump method.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:24 AM

I trusted the local dealer because they have given me advice on other things and have been proven accurate. The car was serviced in another area of Toronto by a different dealer which is where the overfilling likely took place. My car in RWD only.

Another reason to trust my local dealer (trust, but verify) is that when they look up parts they do o using the VIN, which incorporates the exact equipment on my car as well as production changes. They told me I would need 8 US quarts. I only needed 7 US quarts to gradually bring it to the full mark (without filter change).

Old 10-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just a bit of added info not mentioned in Jaguar service literature?

When you change the oil filter be sure and check that there is oil puddled in the bottom of the filter housing, it should NOT be dry! There are anti-drain back valves to prevent the engine from starting dry. We have seen at least two cars where these have failed allowing oil to drain all the way back into the crankcase on engine shutdown. This means the engine has to run for several seconds before the oil pump can fill and pressurize the engine.

Not a common failure but easy to check when doing your own oil change.
Thanks - this is really good to know!
Steve

Old 10-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

That's a good tip about making sure there are a few ounces of oil at the bottom of the filter housing when changing the filter. I have always been in the habit of pre-filling a new filter with oil before installing it when doing an oil change, just to help speed the process of charging the filter with oil and soaking the pleats upon startup after an oil change.

I have never owned a car with a cartridge filter though nor one that has a vertically mounted filter. I'll check and see how well the ADB valve works by pre-filling the filter and then turning it downward over a drain container before I spill oil all over the top of the engine. If there is spillage I'll just soak the pleats and drain out the excess oil before installing it.