F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Oil level puzzle

I have a MY2018 V6S 380 AWD Coupe. The last service was 8 months ago in September 2020. I regularly check the oil level using the Vehicle Info panel on the dash and have not needed to top up the oil so far. The reading hasn't moved as has always been 'OK.'
This morning it read 'Oil Overfill.' which has me puzzled. I haven't added any oil since the service last September, and I would have thought that, with normal wear & tear, a little oil would be lost and burnt off. If the sensor was just on the limit, why hasn't it shown 'Oil Overfill' before?
I removed about 30ml with the MightyVac and it now reads 'OK.' Anyone experienced this before? Is my oil level sensor to be trusted?

My last ride was a Mercedes AMG, which had a dipstick consisting of a thick flexible wire and a plastic slug at the measurement end. It followed a fairly tortuous route, so the decision by Jaguar to use an oil level sensor probably isn't based on access.
Has anyone experimented with a dipstick mod on the F-Type? Is this even possible?

Old 05-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Usually this is because the car was not perfectly level when the "overfill" was reported.

I assume you ran the car enough to warm it up and then let it sit for a few minutes before checking the oil level (per the manual).

Old 05-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I would rely on all the other "regular" correct readings and not one outlier reading. It is also weird that removal of a shot glass full (30ml) of oil made your car happy.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

I would keep monitoring the fuel level to see if it "increases" again, because this could be s sign of fuel geting into the sump oil.
This could happen for a few different reasons, though I would think unlikely given the MY2018.
More likley to be a one-off gauge error.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Lots of posts and a few threads here and there across several sub-forums about "the leccy oil level read out sucks, why didn't JLR just give us an old fashioned dipstick, is there a way to fit a dipstick to the AJ133 or AJ126, can the oil extraction tube be used as a dipstick hole" etc etc, and the answer is NO, NO, NO and NO.
We are stuck with the leccy read out and there is no way around it.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:56 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the overfill message happen after a low battery message as well once the my battery was fully charged it went back to reading normal level.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

It's also temperature dependent. If you filled it when cold, then check the level while hot, it's likely to show overfilled. I follow the Jag oil change procedure, filling and checking the level while the engine is warm. If I check the level after the car is sitting overnight (cold), it's often shows less than if I check it 10 minutes after turning off the engine (warm).

Old 05-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

As others have pointed out, the oil level reading is extremely sensitive to being perfectly level. Even a garage with a normal pitch for rain runoff can throw it off if you're right at the full mark. I'm not sure what the trigger point is for overfill but if you're right at that volume then you could dance back and forth over the line. I've had mine do the same thing on occasion (reads full 95% of the time, overfill 5% of the time without adding/draining oil). As long as the majority of the reads show full you should be fine.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planet_FType
I have a MY2018 V6S 380 AWD Coupe. The last service was 8 months ago in September 2020. I regularly check the oil level using the Vehicle Info panel on the dash and have not needed to top up the oil so far. The reading hasn't moved as has always been 'OK.'
This morning it read 'Oil Overfill.' which has me puzzled. I haven't added any oil since the service last September, and I would have thought that, with normal wear & tear, a little oil would be lost and burnt off. If the sensor was just on the limit, why hasn't it shown 'Oil Overfill' before?
I removed about 30ml with the MightyVac and it now reads 'OK.' Anyone experienced this before? Is my oil level sensor to be trusted?

My last ride was a Mercedes AMG, which had a dipstick consisting of a thick flexible wire and a plastic slug at the measurement end. It followed a fairly tortuous route, so the decision by Jaguar to use an oil level sensor probably isn't based on access.
Has anyone experimented with a dipstick mod on the F-Type? Is this even possible?
I experienced the same thing this year after 200 KM since the oil change and like you, I simply took out 100 ML and the warning went away. I believe JLR system is way too sensitive as my wife has a 2019 Volvo XC60 with a similar system and never had any issue. I also checked the internet and unfortunately, it seems no one has a good old dipstick for this engine ??