F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil overfill at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Default oil overfill at the track

So I tracked my car yesterday, while it was cooling down I decided to check the oil, it said oil overfill. Now the car got very hot obviously and oil expands, once I was home and the car cooled down i checked the oil and it said OK. Is the car filled properly as to when you track it states its overfilled? Does jag account for that?

Old 07-23-2019, 04:18 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I believe the thin modern oil expands a lot when hot, and Jaguar have designed for that. It's why they insist you don't check levels immediately after turning off the engine.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:52 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

The engine oil level sensor has the capability to measure oil temperature, so in theory it could compensate level for temperature

Oil level indicated is dependent on the car being level.

It can indicate over level when on a slope but show level ok when car is parked on level ground.

You can get an oil level after running the engine, there is a delay time of approximately eight to ten minutes after the engine is stopped.

Or raise the bonnet (hood), select oil level then press cruise control cancel button twice to toggle to immediate reading.

With the latter method you can observe the indicated level increase as oil drains back to the sump.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
The engine oil level sensor has the capability to measure oil temperature, so in theory it could compensate level for temperature

Oil level indicated is dependent on the car being level.

It can indicate over level when on a slope but show level ok when car is parked on level ground.

You can get an oil level after running the engine, there is a delay time of approximately eight to ten minutes after the engine is stopped.

Or raise the bonnet (hood), select oil level then press cruise control cancel button twice to toggle to immediate reading.

With the latter method you can observe the indicated level increase as oil drains back to the sump.
that's interesting, didn't know you could force read oil levels.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Here's the procedure to get an instant reading during/after an oil change...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncfhyazedn...ng%29.pdf?dl=0

Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's the procedure to get an instant reading during/after an oil change...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncfhyazedn...ng%29.pdf?dl=0
Dave, what do you make of the steps right after that for "updating average oil level?" What is that for?

Old 07-26-2019, 12:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hi Justin,
I assume the car averages readings over a number of starts, so this would reset the average. In my case, the oil is always at ‘full’ before changing, so it wouldn’t make a noticeable difference if I did that.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:45 PM

so does no one know why my car showed oil overfill at the track, would the car account for oil expanding? Trying to figure out if I'm in trouble here.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
so does no one know why my car showed oil overfill at the track, would the car account for oil expanding? Trying to figure out if I'm in trouble here.
If the oil level is showing full and ok when cold, it will show overfilled when coming off the track. No concern here. If you don’t want this to happen, fill oil to the half or 3/4 mark when cold.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

So I just bought a 2018 F type R on the 22nd of this month. It was a leftover demo with about 1000 miles. Got a new car title. I’ve put about 500 miles on it since I bought it. I’m still learning all the settings. Tonight I was sitting in the garage going thru some of the screens and settings and came across the oil level check. It said overfilled, or over full whatever the message is. The car had been sitting in my garage, level, and hadn’t been run or started today at all.
Do I need to do anything about it? I can call dealer on Monday but seems odd. Thoughts?

Old 08-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
So I just bought a 2018 F type R on the 22nd of this month. It was a leftover demo with about 1000 miles. Got a new car title. I’ve put about 500 miles on it since I bought it. I’m still learning all the settings. Tonight I was sitting in the garage going thru some of the screens and settings and came across the oil level check. It said overfilled, or over full whatever the message is. The car had been sitting in my garage, level, and hadn’t been run or started today at all.
Do I need to do anything about it? I can call dealer on Monday but seems odd. Thoughts?
Being a 2018 it will be AWD and it's quite common for JLR dealerships to overfill them with engine oil, as the AWD sump capacity is around 1/2 a litre less than the RWD sump capacity. A lot of dealerships either don't seem to understand this or just not care, lots of threads and posts around here about this.
So yes it is probably overfilled a bit, but many AWD owners here have had that experience and it has never caused a serious problem for any of them.
You have a couple of choices:
1. Contact the dealer, complain, and insist they fix it. Some will send a technician around to your place to drain the extra oil, some won't, some will say "bring it in and we will fix it". Depending on how far away your dealership is this won't be a problem for the car but it will probably be inconvenient for you. Don't bother getting it flat bedded to the dealership as this is a minor problem not worth that expense or mucking about.
2. Get yourself a vacuum / extraction pump and remove the excess oil yourself, Mityvac is a popular brand.
This is how dealerships do an oil change anyway, there is an oil extraction tube smack in the middle of the oil fill hole.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Being a 2018 it will be AWD and it's quite common for JLR dealerships to overfill them with engine oil, as the AWD sump capacity is around 1/2 a litre less than the RWD sump capacity. A lot of dealerships either don't seem to understand this or just not care, lots of threads and posts around here about this.
So yes it is probably overfilled a bit, but many AWD owners here have had that experience and it has never caused a serious problem for any of them.
You have a couple of choices:
1. Contact the dealer, complain, and insist they fix it. Some will send a technician around to your place to drain the extra oil, some won't, some will say "bring it in and we will fix it". Depending on how far away your dealership is this won't be a problem for the car but it will probably be inconvenient for you. Don't bother getting it flat bedded to the dealership as this is a minor problem not worth that expense or mucking about.
2. Get yourself a vacuum / extraction pump and remove the excess oil yourself, Mityvac is a popular brand.
This is how dealerships do an oil change anyway, there is an oil extraction tube smack in the middle of the oil fill hole.
Once again thank you OzXFR!

Old 08-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Follow up question to my earlier post. So after seeing the overfilled message on my new/leftover 2018 I took it to the dealer on Saturday morning. It turns out the dealer doesn’t have service hours on Saturday. SMH. So I removed the excess oil myself with a vacuum pump and texted the sales rep at the selling dealership to ask if the oil was changed. I was curious about the overfill. He said it was changed the day I took delivery.
Here’s my concern. The oil I removed was black. If the dealer wouldn’t have told me it was changed less than 500 miles previously I would have thought it was never changed. Keep in mind the car had 1040 miles on it when I took delivery, and about 400 miles on the supposedly fresh oil??
Any thoughts on why the oil would be black?
I would expect it to be kind of a honey color.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
Follow up question to my earlier post. So after seeing the overfilled message on my new/leftover 2018 I took it to the dealer on Saturday morning. It turns out the dealer doesn’t have service hours on Saturday. SMH. So I removed the excess oil myself with a vacuum pump and texted the sales rep at the selling dealership to ask if the oil was changed. I was curious about the overfill. He said it was changed the day I took delivery.
Here’s my concern. The oil I removed was black. If the dealer wouldn’t have told me it was changed less than 500 miles previously I would have thought it was never changed. Keep in mind the car had 1040 miles on it when I took delivery, and about 400 miles on the supposedly fresh oil??
Any thoughts on why the oil would be black?
I would expect it to be kind of a honey color.
Send a sample off to Blackstone Labs. They’ll be able to tell you why it’s black and whether it needs to be changed. $35 for a thorough analysis including TBN. (Additive level)

Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

@Unhingd has the best advice.

Many folks on BobIsTheOilGuy.com prefer Oil Analyzers over Blackstone these days for direct injection engines because they actually measure oil dilution from gasoline, not just infer it.

https://www.oaitesting.com/index.aspx

That said, modern detergent oils should carry impurities in suspension (including particulates from cold running) so they will darken up within only a few hundred miles. I'm guessing your oil will test fine.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
@Unhingd has the best advice.

Many folks on BobIsTheOilGuy.com prefer Oil Analyzers over Blackstone these days for direct injection engines because they actually measure oil dilution from gasoline, not just infer it.

https://www.oaitesting.com/index.aspx

That said, modern detergent oils should carry impurities in suspension (including particulates from cold running) so they will darken up within only a few hundred miles. I'm guessing your oil will test fine.
Hope so. I guess I’m a bit old school. Back when cars actually had dipsticks when you went to buy a car you’d pull out the dipstick. If the oil was dark/dirty looking you would infer that the oil was in need of changing, at best, or that the car perhaps wasn’t well maintained. And also give it the smell test to see if their was any type of burnt smell. I’m showing my age. I realize things have changed. I was also told to change oil every 3000 miles, which I rarely did. Now it’s 15000 or more.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

RWD takes 7.25 L, AWD takes 6.5. A large amount of dealers fill 7.25 for both. I believe this is because the service manual was not updated. The tech inserts F-TYPE V8 and the machine pumps in 7.25 L is how I imagine it happens.

I complained when it happened to me and they sent a service rep and a tech to my house to take care of it.