F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfilled by 1 gallon by dealer-please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Oil overfilled by 1 gallon by dealer-please help

My dealer overfilled engine oil by 1 gallon, I am wanting to know what damage may have happened that may not be determinable at this time; here is a little history: Car went in for 32K maintenance per time requirements, not miles as the car has 8K miles on it. One week after the oil change was done I checked the oil level and found "overfilled". I called my dealer (Jaguar Land rover of Minneapolis) and the service manager came out to my house to remove some oil from engine. We were both surprised at how dirty the oil was and that it took 1 gallon before the oil level was at "ok" with green bar being at max level per car system. Oil level check procedure per Jaguar specifications in book. I have put just under 400 miles on car during this "overfilled" time. I am looking to understand what should be done to cover myself of future problems due to this major error. I am looking for information based in facts to take back to my dealer and get this fixed. I did take the car back to dealer and we dropped the oil using the drain plug and put 6.5 liters of fresh oil in car along with fresh oil filter and the oil level reads "ok" with green bar being at max level. Thank you for you help in advance!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Looks like whoever changed the oil forgot to drain out the old stuff first.

The following users liked this post:
Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My approach, other than the dealer, would be to go on record with Jaguar corporate so that if any issues show up later, you should be covered.

Clear explanation from the dealer would be in order as well along with an acknowledgment from them on a work order for the record.

Its my understanding that some overfill does not affect this engine as the crank would not hit the higher oil level, however a gallon is a lot and may have an affect.
Lawrence.

Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Note that there are a few threads on AWD cars being overfilled, as they apparently take less oil than the RWD versions.

Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Looks like whoever changed the oil forgot to drain out the old stuff first.
Hello DJS,
Yes, that is the conclusion we came to; not all of the oil was "sucked" out of the engine prior to adding oil. Also, whoever did the oil change did not check the car system per Jaguar specifications to check oil level as seen by car system.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
My approach, other than the dealer, would be to go on record with Jaguar corporate so that if any issues show up later, you should be covered.

Clear explanation from the dealer would be in order as well along with an acknowledgment from them on a work order for the record.

Its my understanding that some overfill does not affect this engine as the crank would not hit the higher oil level, however a gallon is a lot and may have an affect.
Lawrence.
Hello Mulmur,
I had dealer issue statement on invoice stating "oil overfilled by 1 gallon". Do you know what the best phone number/contact would be for Jaguar corp.? I have read that the crank will "splash" into the oil creating a foam-very problematic, also oil being forced into intake track system whereby injectors/spark plugs getting a coating of oil on them. I am hoping that if this has happened to others, I can get a definitive "list" of items effected. I really want to gain clear understanding before I approach GM of dealership with resolution. Thank you for your repsonse!

Old 06-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Funfactor
Hello Mulmur,
I had dealer issue statement on invoice stating "oil overfilled by 1 gallon". Do you know what the best phone number/contact would be for Jaguar corp.? I have read that the crank will "splash" into the oil creating a foam-very problematic, also oil being forced into intake track system whereby injectors/spark plugs getting a coating of oil on them. I am hoping that if this has happened to others, I can get a definitive "list" of items effected. I really want to gain clear understanding before I approach GM of dealership with resolution. Thank you for your repsonse!
I believe your Jaguar corporate contact info for your area would be in your 'package' when you bought the car .. if not the internet should provide a source. The main issue is that you have a clear record of the incident.

I'm not sure at what point of overfill the crank would hit the oil regarding this engine.. others on the forum may be aware. In my experience if the plugs became fouled with oil you would know it with rough engine of varying degrees. I suspect you caught it in time.
Lawrence

Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur

Maybe, but I have my doubts.

"Corporate" may well say that consequences of errors made by the dealership begin and end *with the dealership*. That's been my experience.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Brutal (07-26-2017), Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Maybe, but I have my doubts.

"Corporate" may well say that consequences of errors made by the dealership begin and end *with the dealership*. That's been my experience.

Cheers
DD
Could be in which case the dealer has to respond and I am sure Jaguar would be putting pressure on them due to the circumstance.

I've had good experience with my own dealer and jaguar for minor issues, even after warranty.

Anyway I guess these situations can go on and on and be discussed forever, yet the preventative solution on this one is to check your oil level right after service before any damage can be done.
Lawrence

Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,460 Likes on 8,639 Posts

Hello Mulmur,
There is a "Jaguar Customer Relationship Centre" topic thread below in the "Brand Review" section. May be worth a try.Good luck

Funfactor (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Sorry but this level of incompetence from a dealer charging $250+ for an oil change is outrageous. I would be fuming.

I don't really want to do my own changes, but after reading various threads here I got the extractor that UnHinged recommended and the Castrol Oil and plan on doing changes myself. I am not a pro, not a real fix-it guy, but at least I can take things slow and cautious and get it right.

The following 2 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
datriani (04-06-2022), Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:29 PM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to the forum Funfactor,

Don't forget that intro in the new members section when you have time.

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

The AWD R takes 6.5 liters of oil, the RWD R takes 7.25 liters. So the tech could put in an extra 0.75 liters (1.6 pint) into the AWD if attention to detail is lacking. But to put in an "extra" 1 gal - that's criminal. The cherry on top is when the tech can't be bothered to spend the extra 30 sec getting the in-car oil level reading, which would immediately identify the problem before the car is released back to the owner. Shabby, shabby service.

The following 2 users liked this post by SCMike:
Burt Gummer (07-01-2017), Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Do the techs have a way to bypass the waiting period? At my last oil change, they had to wait 15 minutes before it would read anything. Still no excuse for overfilling.
Larry

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Do the techs have a way to bypass the waiting period? At my last oil change, they had to wait 15 minutes before it would read anything. Still no excuse for overfilling.
Larry
You only have to wait 15 minutes if you start the engine before you check the oil level after filling the oil.

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought there was a "live read" mode which bypassed the waiting period if you left the hood open that I read somewhere I can't find now....

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Yikes! Not a quart but a ~gallon~?? I'm getting ready to take mine in for an oil change and all of these stories have me scared! I might just suck mine out but have to take it in anyway for recalls/TSBs.

Here is how to do an instantaneous oil level check:

1. Pop the Bonnet

2. Turn on the ignition

3. Scroll through trip settings

4. Stop on oil level indicator

5. Push the Cancel button on the steering wheel two times in quick succession.

The following 3 users liked this post by Misujerr:
Funfactor (07-26-2017), jaguny (07-06-2017), tberg (07-05-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Hang a note on the dash -- DON'T WASH ME PLEASE / I DO MY OWN WASHING - THANKS!

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Call me about this!!!

FUNFACTOR, It is very important that you give me a call at 615-679-5556 to discuss your issue. I was the individual that had the original pleasure to discover the overfill flaw and in return for so graciously making them aware, i am $175,000 in the hole, no working car, refusal by jag to fix anything, and having to file a federal lawsuit THAT, with your incident, would make for a very good 'class action' participant. You will not get anywhere with the dealer or Jag, they will tell you every reason in the world that it didnt damage the car and treat you like scum.

For you doubters out there, yes, i went to arbitration. In fact, i was awarded a new car at arbitration, but because of a attourny oversight and the signing of the decision 2 days late, Jaguar so kindly refused to honor it despite the car being nothing more than a pretty pile of immovable steel. You would think that given that the BBB only awards full replacement in like 8% of cases that it would not only behove them to still comply, but just simply be the right thing to do. They are not motivated by THE RIGHT THING nor by their completely bullshit corporate so call "customer first" culture which clearly is nothing more than something to allow the c-suite execs to sleep better at night and present to future jobs they apply for as evidence of their "emotional customer and workplace intelligence".

PLEASE CALL ME . If you try to arbitrate, great, but be aware that your looking at 6 months or more. Mine took 8.

615-679-5556.
Chris Starko
SAJWJ6DL8GMK23888 (it would be the one with, surprise, no service records or service histroy!)

My dealer overfilled engine oil by 1 gallon, I am wanting to know what damage may have happened that may not be determinable at this time; here is a little history: Car went in for 32K maintenance per time requirements, not miles as the car has 8K miles on it. One week after the oil change was done I checked the oil level and found "overfilled". I called my dealer (Jaguar Land rover of Minneapolis) and the service manager came out to my house to remove some oil from engine. We were both surprised at how dirty the oil was and that it took 1 gallon before the oil level was at "ok" with green bar being at max level per car system. Oil level check procedure per Jaguar specifications in book. I have put just under 400 miles on car during this "overfilled" time. I am looking to understand what should be done to cover myself of future problems due to this major error. I am looking for information based in facts to take back to my dealer and get this fixed. I did take the car back to dealer and we dropped the oil using the drain plug and put 6.5 liters of fresh oil in car along with fresh oil filter and the oil level reads "ok" with green bar being at max level. Thank you for you help in advance!

Funfactor (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Smile Update on this process

Hello everyone, thank you for your input/support! Here is an update on this situation: I met with the GM of Jaguar Minneapolis and he will put a 4yr./100K extended warranty on my car at no charge to me (the warranty covers drive train and electrics). This warranty starts the day it is put on the car; they will not put this warranty on the car until my next scheduled service of June 2018; this means I will have warranty on the car until June 2022. I am very thankful for Jag Minneapolis standing behind me and supporting me this way!

Attached Thumbnails Oil overfilled by 1 gallon by dealer-please help-goldplan.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Funfactor:
Brutal (07-26-2017), Mbourne (07-26-2017), slojotaa (07-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil overfilled by 1 gallon by dealer-please help