F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp and pressure via OBD port.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Oil temp and pressure via OBD port.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has managed to 'tap' into any oil data via the OBD port on the F yet?

I miss the temp and pressure readings for oil, and wondered if it can be read by possibly one of the many OBD II readers on eBay with an iPhone?

Can anyone tell me where the OBD port lurks?

TIA

Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Tel ,

engine doesn't have an oil pressure sensor , so getting any information via OBD will be difficult . Oil temperatur is measured by the oil-level sensor in
the oilpan and is transmitted to the ECU . Oil temperatur and level are send together in a serial protocol . Oil level obvisiously is decode but no idea whether temperature is decoded too
and passed to the bus system .
So there is still hope to get some data.

Regards
Ulrich

Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by f-driver
engine doesn't have an oil pressure sensor
How is that possible on a modern engine? How do you know if the bearings are worn before catastrophic damage occurs?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Tel

Thanks for the reply Ulrich.

Are you sure there is no oil pressure sensor? (I haven't managed to find on win the OBD Guide?)

I thought that it would be, as lhoboy mentioned; critical!

Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I just plugged my OBD2 reader into my 2014 F-Type V8S to check this out and there is no oil temp or oil pressure available. It does give coolant temp, transmission temp, ambient air temp, intake air temp and even catalytic converter temps but that's it for temps. Hope that helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by WayneB:
buickfunnycar.com (07-16-2015), Tel (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

There is no oil pressure sender. When I was looking into this I learned there is a plug on the cylinder head that can be removed and a sender installed. Also on the rear of the block. Neither is used by the factory.

Hopefully someone comes up with an aftermarket gauge solution, preferably that displays on the existing screens.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

If a value isn't in the OBD standard, a generic reader won't show it. The standard values are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Standard_PIDs

Even if there were a sensor (as noted above, there isn't) it would fall into the "non-standard" or vehicle-specific" category. My knowledge is a bit stale, but I worked on the RomRaider project for a while. It's heavily oriented towards Subaru, both by demand and the fact that the Subaru protocol and ECU images are understood. Between a documented non-standard protocol and much reverse engineering, it's quite capable.

I don't expect anything of that level for JLR, but would enjoy a pleasant surprise. Not holding my breath though.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, given that the oil pressure warning light coming on while driving is generally an indication that it's Game Over for the engine in most marques, I'm unsure as to what you want to measure? An Alfa Romeo I used to own had a separate oil pressure gauge, which I can remember watching the reading drop as the oil temperature rose one very hot day while stopped at traffic lights. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss...

Old 07-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Well, in my offshore style speedboat, the oil pressure drops after I go ***** out for too long. This tells me to slow down to cool the oil a bit before I throw a rod. If I let engine speed drop to an idle without first cooling the oil down a bit I can hear lifter noise and feel vibrations that are not otherwise present. I believe the gauge is worthwhile for that reason. It's not as important for a gently used car but some of us don't use our cars gently.

Similar info might help more performance oriented folks avoid damaging the much more expensive engine in ther jaguar. Not everyone will know what the information means and many might ignore it. That doesn't mean it should not be available to those of us who want it.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

So the cooling system on the powerboat can't keep up? It would probably be useful to document this and report it to the manufacturer, as they tend to be keen when it comes to customer care and Brand reputation.

More so than most car makers...

Old 07-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Most car drivers can't cope either though. Hence the reduction of information to a single warning light. Which will probably be mis-interpreted by many.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Tel

When I look into an E-Type, I like what I see on the dash with regards to monitoring the engine condition. To an engineer type like meself, it's almost a necessity.

I'm just surprised a simple oil pressure and oil temp gauge isn't in the cluster, or even available via the OBD standard string?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
So the cooling system on the powerboat can't keep up? It would probably be useful to document this and report it to the manufacturer, as they tend to be keen when it comes to customer care and Brand reputation.

More so than most car makers...
The boat has a seawater pump that moves a huge volume of water through first a power steering cooler then an oil cooler, then the regular water pump, then the engine and finally mixes the hot water with exhaust in the exhaust manifolds. Despite all this cooling the oil temps do rise, and the exhaust does include steam when run hard. We are talking sustained 5,000 to 6,000 rpm runs under maximum load. Powerboats cannot coast, and they typically have only one forward gear ratio. As a result they are basically floored, going uphill at max rpms all the time. Mine manages to get just over 3 miles per gallon at 35 mph and drops to half that at 55 mph. It tops out at 61 mph.

The manufacturer simply says not to run WOT for more than 5 minutes at a time and the data is logged in the ECU for warranty purposes. I can get away with running it hard a bit longer in cold seawater temps before the oil starts to lose its ability to maintain full oil pressure, but only race boats and some outboards can sustain full throttle indefinitely. There are aftermarket oil coolers that address the issue but I have not bothered yet. It's already thousands of dollars per year to run the boat without upgrades. Despite the maintenance I can expect a full rebuild at 1000 hours of use. That is if I don't break it by running it hard with overheated oil and reduced oil pressure. Fortunately there is a gauge to watch.

Last edited by Nookieman; 07-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Have you considered buying a Ski Nautique?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical

Have you considered buying a Ski Nautique?
The ski nautiques run the same engines and have the same cooling issues as other boats. Plus, I use my boat out in waves, in all kinds of conditions. A ski boat would be useless for where we want to go.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:24 AM
Tel

...and what do boats have to do with Jaguars?

Old 07-18-2015, 01:33 PM

i was using the behavior of the oil pressure gauge in my boat to illustrate the utility of an oil pressure gauge in high performance applications in general, and specifically as it pertains to preventing engine damage from overcooked oil. It was in response to a post questioning the utility of an oil pressure gauge at all.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
i was using the behavior of the oil pressure gauge in my boat to illustrate the utility of an oil pressure gauge in high performance applications in general, and specifically as it pertains to preventing engine damage from overcooked oil. It was in response to a post questioning the utility of an oil pressure gauge at all.
And it was the perfect illustration of the need for an oil pressure gauge for sustained high rpm operation.