Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temperature display and logging

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Oil temperature display and logging

Hi All,

I'm setting up my new BT1A bluetooth OBD2 logging tool (using The Dash Command App) and apparently the PID for oil temperature is not a supported output from the ECU. Has anyone succeeded in logging the oil temperature data for the F-Type R?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't think that there is a sensor for that fitted to the car, so no data will be available.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't think that there is a sensor for that fitted to the car, so no data will be available.
That is really dissapointing, because that is one of the key things I've monitored in the past at the track along with coolant temp and IAT. It looks as though coolant temp is being used as a proxy perhaps.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by cbroth1
That is really dissapointing, because that is one of the key things I've monitored in the past at the track along with coolant temp and IAT. It looks as though coolant temp is being used as a proxy perhaps.
Per another thread running here now, you don't have car particularly suitable for track use, but you do have a very powerful, very cushy, very heavy, daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (01-24-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Per another thread running here now, you don't have car particularly suitable for track use, but you do have a very powerful, very cushy, very heavy, daily driver.
Lol.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Oil temperature is measured by the oil-level sensor ( maker Hella) in the oilpan and is transmitted to the ECU . Oil temperature and level are send together in a serial protocol . Oil level obvisiously is decode but I think temperature isn't decoded by the system . The engine is equipped with a
coolant water to oil heatexchanger located below the S/C . So oil temperature will always stay near to coolant temperature level .

Regards
Ulrich

CB1973 (03-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by f-driver
Oil temperature is measured by the oil-level sensor ( maker Hella) in the oilpan and is transmitted to the ECU . Oil temperature and level are send together in a serial protocol . Oil level obvisiously is decode but I think temperature isn't decoded by the system . The engine is equipped with a
coolant water to oil heatexchanger located below the S/C . So oil temperature will always stay near to coolant temperature level .

Regards
Ulrich
That was a hell of an answer. Thank you. Great information!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I've seen the oil cooler. It looks like the Setrab unit on my C30, but sized a little differently. It looks like an aluminum layer cake. There is an alternate available for the C30 that is thicker (more layers).

I have not seen the oil sensor. Now I'm curious. It must contain a processor if it operates as you describe. Perhaps someone will figure out how to decode and display the information through the dash, but personally, I'm not that worried. As you say, liquid/liquid heat exchangers are pretty efficient, so the oil temperature remains stable over a wide range of conditions. I'm sure I'll get the car to the track, but I won't be competing or running endurance events.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I've seen the oil cooler. It looks like the Setrab unit on my C30, but sized a little differently. It looks like an aluminum layer cake. There is an alternate available for the C30 that is thicker (more layers).

I have not seen the oil sensor. Now I'm curious. It must contain a processor if it operates as you describe. Perhaps someone will figure out how to decode and display the information through the dash, but personally, I'm not that worried. As you say, liquid/liquid heat exchangers are pretty efficient, so the oil temperature remains stable over a wide range of conditions. I'm sure I'll get the car to the track, but I won't be competing or running endurance events.
enclosed you can find additional information about the sensor and the data
protocol. Shouldn't be a big thing for people familiar with electronics to read out the data . Unfortunatly the brochure is written in german .

regards
ulrich

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hella_100521_oilsensor.pdf (317.3 KB, 268 views)
Mpowerr (07-03-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

enclosed you can find additional information about the sensor and the data
protocol. Shouldn't be a big thing for people familiar with electronics to read out the data . Unfortunatly the brochure is written in german .
Thanks for the additional information. I do find it interesting, even though I don't see that I'll be doing anything with that information myself.

My German is not just weak, it's nonexistent. Nevertheless, I can see that there is a microcontroller in the sensor. I can see that the data is encoded via pulse width and sent in repeating sequence. That just means that it's need to be either decoded within the existing system or piped off in a T to something else that decodes and displays it.

I think my current job will keep me more than busy enough to rule out this project. The "main office" people I've talked to don't understand how I manage when they have a whole department dedicated to what I do.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Here's a map of the vehicle networks. Not clear to me where the oil sensors would connect.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6fp29b26h...works.pdf?dl=0

Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's a map of the vehicle networks. Not clear to me where the oil sensors would connect.
I don't see anything labeled as the oil level sensor, but looking at the TPMS, which I figured would be handled similarly, I see "Volumetric Sensor." Perhaps that's it. The one sensor channels two data sources, but if only the oil level (volume?) is read, maybe that's what they call it?

I wish I had the full parts and service manuals for this car. I used to order them whenever I got a new vehicle, usually microfiche for parts and bound volumes for service, but everything has gone electronic. Even then, some dealers would not sell to the public, but I usually got what I needed.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I don't see anything labeled as the oil level sensor, but looking at the TPMS, which I figured would be handled similarly, I see "Volumetric Sensor." Perhaps that's it. The one sensor channels two data sources, but if only the oil level (volume?) is read, maybe that's what they call it?

I wish I had the full parts and service manuals for this car. I used to order them whenever I got a new vehicle, usually microfiche for parts and bound volumes for service, but everything has gone electronic. Even then, some dealers would not sell to the public, but I usually got what I needed.
You could order a short term subscription to Topix and go through the painstaking task of printing out all the service documents. However, I can't see where they have the parts lists.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You could order a short term subscription to Topix and go through the painstaking task of printing out all the service documents. However, I can't see where they have the parts lists.
I don't see that as being worth it, at least not for me right now. It is an annoyance that references are so difficult to obtain these days.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I don't see that as being worth it, at least not for me right now. It is an annoyance that references are so difficult to obtain these days.
+1. I spent some money for a 1 week subscription to get some details on the clutch hydraulics, but certainly not worth the cost of having available at all times.