F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, fess up, who else thinks putting this thing in reverse is counterintuitive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm amazed that drivers of pre-selector transmissions can cope with having the lever on the floor.

What were Jaguar thinking!

By the way, what is a pre-selector transmission? I grew up with a 5-speed manual - autos were for pensioners....

Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
This is the fourth Car I've had with the same pattern, a BMW, two Range Rover Sports and now the F-Type, I still have to stop and think now and again.

Going OT a bit :Then they made the Convertible Button so you have to push the switch down to make the top go up, and pull it up to make the top go down. I don't know what I'm trying to say here but it would have been more intuitive to pull the switch up to make the top go up and open.
Well they do drive on the WRONG side of the road over on that side of the pond, so why should we not expect everything else to be backasswards as well... just sayin'

Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If it is Impreza, please get a MT with a clutch catch point that is not so awful. I drive one as my winter beater, and it is probably the most punishing manual gearbox outside of Jeep Wrangler that I have driven recently. I just can't lend it to anyone else - they will grind gears.
It's not Subaru; but I can say that I've never heard anyone complain of this and I haven't experienced it in my 6 stick shift subarus. Was yours perhaps a used vehicle?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jf1
My EPB doesn't appear to auto engage when parking or shutting off engine.
Must be MT-only thing. I could just ignore it most of the time, since it is auto-set and auto-release. Thing is, there is slight hesitation on release when pulling out and I can feel it. It is almost, but not quite perfect. The only time this auto feature is problematic is when cooling the car in the pits after a hot lap - you have to leave the car running or it will engage parking brake and you are risking heat-related damage.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:54 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Must be MT-only thing. I could just ignore it most of the time, since it is auto-set and auto-release. Thing is, there is slight hesitation on release when pulling out and I can feel it. It is almost, but not quite perfect. The only time this auto feature is problematic is when cooling the car in the pits after a hot lap - you have to leave the car running or it will engage parking brake and you are risking heat-related damage.
This is from 2014, so it may or may not apply to the MT.

High Temperature Re-Clamp
After heavy use of the brakes, the disc temperatures
can be extremely high. At high brake disc tempera-
tures, if the vehicle is stationary and the Electric Park
Brake is applied, the EPB module automatically re-
applies the Electric Park Brake as the brake discs cool
down. A temperature model in the EPB module soft-
ware calculates the brake disc temperature from brake
application force, the time the brake force is applied
and vehicle speed.
High temperature re-clamp occurs at brake disc tem-
peratures of 572°F (300°C) and above. Depending on
the temperature, up to three re-clamps can occur, at
varying time intervals, in the 10 minutes following the
initial application of the Electric Park Brake. To limit the
number of re-clamps, the ignition status as well as the
current inclination of the vehicle is considered. If the
ignition is on, a re-clamp will only be performed if the
vehicle inclination is greater than 10%.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I still have the problem when I switch between our cars, if i don't drive the Jag for a few days. Foot always on brake!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Not counter-intuitive at all. Reverse is in the exact same spot as any other 6 speed I have ever driven.

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (05-04-2016), drbill (04-29-2016), mikelanzetta (04-29-2016), pipper678 (05-01-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
I'm amazed that drivers of pre-selector transmissions can cope with having the lever on the floor.

What were Jaguar thinking!

By the way, what is a pre-selector transmission? I grew up with a 5-speed manual - autos were for pensioners....
Right on, brother! Reverse works fine in my car; don't have to think about it a bit.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Concern

Yeah, exact same behavior on mine for the EPB... but I don't quite agree on if Jaguar got this "feature" right when opening doors. I once had the exact same experience like you and since haven't got any answer if the same would happen during normal drive speeds. When my GF once mentioned she had her coat belt stuck in the door after we drove off, I insisted strongly "DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR", as I was really concerned it would switch to park and damage the transmission, let alone provoke a spin on the wet street!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Agreed, EPB does not auto engage on my car either, but it does auto-release when putting the car in gear.

On the FCA recall due to people getting confused about whether the car is in PARK or not before getting out of the car, JLR got this one right. If you open the door while the car is in gear, the transmission will very abruptly shift to PARK.

I was startled by this shortly after I took delivery, when I cracked the door open to check my parking alignment and was jolted to a stop.
Exact my thoughts
My last cars, a BMW and VW had their reverse position on the left upper corner of the stick shift patterns... I got to admit though, the F-Type tune of the ZF8 is really sweet

Originally Posted by F-typical

Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 AM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pipper678
When my GF once mentioned she had her coat belt stuck in the door after we drove off, I insisted strongly "DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR", as I was really concerned it would switch to park and damage the transmission, let alone provoke a spin on the wet street!
Opening the passenger door won't trigger the auto park safety. You can test this while stationary.

The following users liked this post:
pipper678 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

On my 2016 MT convertible, pulling the switch up(back) opens the top(traveling back in direction of switch). Pushing down closed top( down in direction of switch ). Seems logical. The problem is using up/down to describe the top rather than forward/back which is how it really travels.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
On my 2016 MT convertible, pulling the switch up(back) opens the top(traveling back in direction of switch). Pushing down closed top( down in direction of switch ). Seems logical. The problem is using up/down to describe the top rather than forward/back which is how it really travels.
Are you sure about that?

Mine works exactly opposite of what you described above, which was OEM certainly in 2014, and which has provoked dozens and dozens of complaints on this forum over the years.

To me, it makes less sense to think of it in terms of what direction the top is moving. I think of it in terms of what position I want the top to be in (closed or open) when it is finished doing it's thing.

Thus:

If I want my top down (e.g. open so I can see the sky), I push down on the switch

If I want my top up (e.g. closed so it doesn't rain on me), I pull the switch up.

When you get a chance, please check again and report back. :-)

Last edited by Foosh; 05-04-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh

If I want my top down (e.g. open so I can see the sky), I push down on the switch
There is no wrong answer here. People visualize spatial movement differently. I see a convertible top movement as being fore/aft. You obviously see it as up/down. Congratulations, we're both right.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There is no wrong answer here. People visualize spatial movement differently. I see a convertible top movement as being fore/aft. You obviously see it as up/down. Congratulations, we're both right.
+1. Same with video game controllers (for you younger whippersnappers.) Some people have to 'invert' the up/down axis (I do) - some think you should look up when you pull down the stick, others think you should look down.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Not counter-intuitive at all. Reverse is in the exact same spot as any other 6 speed I have ever driven.
....I have to pause every time I switch from our NV5600 6 spd Dodges to our G56 equipped 6 speed trucks.....

;-)

Dave

Old 05-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I know that, but I think you missed the point. He's saying his switches work opposite mine. I'm curious as to whether that's really true.

Moreover, the switch doesn't move "fore/aft." It moves up/down. :-)

Last edited by Foosh; 05-04-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

and yes, I find the reverse to be a bit odd on the F type ZF but it's just a matter of getting used to stuff. I learned to drive on an old F100 with a 3spd manual "on the tree"...a bit odd to say the least.....old Chrysler pushbutton trannies were also a little different. ...just takes time.

I sure am glad that we have these kinds of threads along with complaints of stereo performance and other similar things instead of reading about catastrophic driveline failures! Yippee!!

Dave

Old 05-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....I have to pause every time I switch from our NV5600 6 spd Dodges to our G56 equipped 6 speed trucks.....

;-)

Dave
Ok, funny guy!

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, funny guy!
....I try!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Pull up, top goes back(open). Push down, top does forward(closed).

Quick Reply: OK, fess up, who else thinks putting this thing in reverse is counterintuitive?