F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Less 2015 R on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023 | 11:44 PM
|
Unhappy One Less 2015 R on the Road

My beloved and immaculate 2015 R was hit by a deer on the interstate in Wisconsin. I walked away with a bruised thumb, the sadness of killing the stupid deer and also the fact that the car is totaled just before the summer.

Any advice on how to deal with my comprehensive insurance and what my options are to get into another F-Type R? I am concerned that insurance will low ball me since there are no 2015 R available for sale in my area.

Old 05-05-2023 | 04:20 AM

Sorry to hear all this but glad you are OK. I'm sure you'll be able to get back into an FT that you will adore just as much. I live in an area with a very large deer population (infestation?) and I've always feared it's not "if" but "when". I just hope that like you, the collision doesn't kill or severely injure me.

Old 05-05-2023 | 04:34 AM

This is the sketch i provided the insurance with after my last wild animal disagreement over Right of Way. Naturally I walked away and for you to have walked from your "disagreement over right of way" is considered most fortunate. It's always sad when the nearest we get to wild life is when it disappears under your wheels. Good luck on your search for a replacement ride.

The following 9 users liked this post by Slackmack:
addict (05-05-2023), BarneysFType (05-05-2023), cujet (05-06-2023), DJS (05-05-2023), eeeeek (05-05-2023), jcb-memphis (05-05-2023), mrlooneytoon (05-05-2023), SouthSider (05-05-2023), VroomForTwo (05-08-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2023 | 07:11 AM

@mrlooneytoon Sorry to hear about your loss. I just sent you a PM about some ideas and a favor to ask.

Old 05-05-2023 | 07:24 AM

Where in Wisconsin? I'm by Oshkosh. At least deer strikes in wisconsin are zero fault to you and go to your comprehensive part of the insurance so no insurance increase or messy settlements.

Old 05-05-2023 | 08:38 AM

Sorry to see the damage and deer death, we have deer problems in NYS also. I damaged a BMW. Bavaria ( wonderful auto) hitting a deer. Your insurance company comprehensive section will either pay you the agreed value ( which I have on my f type) or market value. Either way paid in full when totaled. Good to see you are ok and you’ll replace your f type, happy hunting for a new one, no pun intended. Cheers Frank

Last edited by frank barone; 05-05-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2023 | 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear that. Telling them how hard it is to find one and maybe production numbers might help your case. There’s probably less than 1300 in the US remaining. Average market value is probably about 50k for them right now

Old 05-05-2023 | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear, but glad you're OK. I hit a deer while motorcycling some years back. The deer suffered the same fate, but I got a lot more than just a bruised thumb

Old 05-05-2023 | 10:17 AM

The f type in all models nationwide is 500ish. Specific models obviously much less. Check the online web sites for your specific model and be informed when speaking with insurance company. Cheers Frank

Old 05-05-2023 | 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry for your loss, and especially glad you're OK. Remember that the insurance adjuster is motivated to close the claim and has flexibility to negotiate the amount. Polite persistence is your friend.

Shopping can be a PIA, but also be a bit fun. It's a bit easier to come up with good comps in today's internet marketplace. Check the usual sites: Cars.com, CarGurus, BAT, and AutoTrader. The ones on Cars.com are mostly from dealers, so tend to have higher asking prices. BAT could be useful because the cars tend to be in good condition and there's some vetting in the process. They keep history on past sales, so that could be helpful (and may be on the rich side).

A while back (in your neck of the woods, Frank), I had an employee whose wife hit a deer and totaled her car. About a week later, she hit another one and totaled HIS car.
Fortunately, she wasn't injured in either encounter. That weekend, while I was wandering through the store, I ran across one of the little kits you can use to align your headlights. The picture on the package had a deer illuminated by headlights with a circle and crosshairs. I couldn't resist buying it and presenting to him to give his wife.

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023 | 12:55 PM

About ten years ago I was traveling west on I-78 in North Jersey driving from Newark Airport to visit some friends and family in NE PA. Tooling down the interstate about 75mph on a beautiful evening just before dusk [with surprisingly little traffic in my compact-sized rental car], I saw out of the corner of my eye a deer jumping over the median and coming my way.

Before I could react in the least, the deer hit the side of my car right at my door and I literally saw the side of it's face on my window! This gets much better. The deer must have hit absolutely tangentially to the car because it bounced off the car door and kept running across the interstate! I was in total shock and disbelief that this had just happened.

About five seconds later, a car pulled up besides me [I was still going down the road] and they had an astounded look on their faces, as well. So I keep driving and I am thinking that now I am going to have to deal with the rental car company and the damage done by the deer but when I got out of the car, there was not a mark on the car! Nothing!!! Then I began to wonder whether I had dreamed the entire thing but this would not have been possible.

Really, really strange stuff. Talk about using up one of your "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards.

Nothing is more bizarre than real life, that's for sure.

Last edited by synthesis; 05-05-2023 at 01:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023 | 04:42 PM

My deepest condolences to you and the car, glad you’re okay. I’m surprised your car looks more damaged than my head on butt incident.

Don’t worry too much about the insurance pay out, do search the market and get an idea of what a fair value(retail price) is.

Replacement is tricky at this point, if you’re dead set on another 2015 R like myself, not many are on the road, even less are on sale, even more so for a lower mileage one in good condition. don’t limit yourself to dealer lots, private party cars on auto trader is a good start, auction websites like carsandbids should be closely monitored, Mannheim if you have friends in the auto sales industry.

don’t rush and one that meets your expectations will show up eventually.

good luck and hope to see you back soon!

Old 05-05-2023 | 04:53 PM
|

Thanks for all the positive vibes folks! This community is another reason why I enjoy the F-Type. I'll do research on similar models and provide an update here when insurance gets back to me.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by jafo1970
Where in Wisconsin? I'm by Oshkosh. At least deer strikes in wisconsin are zero fault to you and go to your comprehensive part of the insurance so no insurance increase or messy settlements.
I live in Madison but was driving up I-90 past Janesville when the deer jumped out.

Old 05-05-2023 | 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear. I live in deer infested area. The deer awareness sign is 3 houses down the road from mine. Hit one with the pickup last year. Lucky you weren't hurt.
You could try putting your vin number, mileage, condition, etc. into the various car buying/selling websites and you will get a trade in, private and dealer selling price. This will only work if it hasn't been tagged as being in the accident yet. Carfax, cars.com, cargurus, etc. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2023 | 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Slackmack

This is the sketch i provided the insurance with after my last wild animal disagreement over Right of Way. Naturally I walked away and for you to have walked from your "disagreement over right of way" is considered most fortunate. It's always sad when the nearest we get to wild life is when it disappears under your wheels. Good luck on your search for a replacement ride.
CLASSIC!

Old 05-07-2023 | 10:43 PM
Cgo

Sucks man, hope it works out for you.

Funny thing is that hunters put on camo, cover themselves in deer wiz, and sneak around like a sniper just to hopefully score a deer kill. But are deer really that sneaky? Seems to me they run right out at ya all the time. Lol

The following 3 users liked this post by Cgo:
89 Jacobra (05-08-2023), mrlooneytoon (05-12-2023), scm (05-08-2023)
Old 05-11-2023 | 07:35 PM

The positive thing is that reach F type model is uncommon. I experienced the benefit of rarity when I had a similar problem with my 2008 Audi TT 3.2, which was totaled last year. the insurance quote was ridiculously low, in part because they didn't factor the specific model in. I found all the cars in the nation on sale that were the same (n=12) and provided the average price to replace + the price range. I included the list of all 12 for their reference and reminded them exactly which model this was. They made one attempt to evade on the basis that their estimate is made on cars within 100 miles of the home base but I responded that the rule was invalid given that the closest one for sale was over 300 miles away. They quickly bumped the offer up by 60%, which I accepted as a fair valuation.
p.s. I was surprised at the casual approach to comparisons they made but I guess they (1) want to give as low as estimate as possible and (2) are too busy to really investigate

Old 05-12-2023 | 08:56 AM
Default dont forget CarFax

Sorry to read of your accident, but good that you are OK.

I had fun shopping for my 2017, a manual trans no less. Also look at Hemmings

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale

Be sure to get a CarFAx for the car you are considering. Especially good to see how well the car was cared for ( or not :-( ). If you are fortunate enough to find one with some factory warranty left, that is a big plus!

Old 05-14-2023 | 03:17 PM

There is a salsa red 2015 R for sale right now in market place, check it out!