F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Default "One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED

"One-touch" would not work in the Up-mode on my passenger window. Just stopped working. One-touch worked in the Down-mode, but I had to hold the button to close the window.

OK, DIY-time.

Temporary loss of the one-touch facility, I found, is not unusual for most any manufacturer. A simple battery disconnect can require a reset. (Note: I did not disconnect my battery.) Simple as a system reset appears, it's the actual procedure that proved a tad elusive (Read: Frustrating)

My Owner's Manual references the "one-touch facility," but offers no reset instructions. [Correction: Owner's Handbook shows reset procedure in Maintenance Section.] Fortunately, there are droves of web-based suggestions out there for a factory reset on various Jaguar models. Unfortunately, none of these suggestions worked. "Pull up and hold until you hear the relay click." "Push up and hold for 30 secs." "Push down, pull up, then pull up X number of times." "Reset using the passenger-side control only." "Do not pass Go and do not collect $200." "Go to Pax Prime and forget the whole thing." (I was tempted on this last one.)

DIY-time now officially over.

I finally called my Tech for a little magic. His solution worked--

--Using the driver-side window control, lower and close the passenger window.

--After the passenger window is closed, pull up on the driver-side window control button 5 times; Be sure to fully release the button between each pull.

--Roll the passenger window down using one-touch, then use one-touch to roll it back up. Success!!

The reset is quirky. I had to run through this "5-pull" process several times to get the reset to work. The process may also work using the passenger-side control--didn't have to try that though.

Last edited by deltagroup; 08-31-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Corrected to reflect Post #2
The following 9 users liked this post by deltagroup:
CptChaos (09-08-2021), golfhero (09-02-2014), knoxville379 (08-31-2014), MagnumPI (09-28-2015), Optimus812 (08-31-2014), schraderade (08-31-2014), Sje1974 (09-17-2023), Smoke Em (06-13-2016), Unhingd (06-13-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Actually, the official reset procedure is on page 140 of the owner's manual

Attached Thumbnails "One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED-screen-shot-2014-08-31-11.46.57-am.png  
The following 3 users liked this post by another_geek:
amr42 (05-18-2021), casper83 (08-05-2019), tomhannah (05-14-2023)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
Thanks! So much for careful research. I missed that reference and have corrected my original post.

I did try that 2-sec reset procedure in my many attempts to reset, though, as several posters suggested it on this forum (though for different Jag models). For whatever reason, the suggested reset did not work in my case. Perhaps it would for others.

Interestingly, I just now found the same reset procedure, but on Page 150 of my F-Type Owner's Handbook.

"One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED-windows-reset-procedure.jpg

Last edited by deltagroup; 08-31-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM

I've used the reset procedure on both my jags in the past with no issues. In fact, my F was delivered needing the reset on day 1.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 PM

I've used the reset procedure on both my jags in the past with no issues. In fact, my F was delivered needing the reset on day 1.
Thanks again, another_geek. Folks should try the factory reset, as you point out. If that procedure doesn't work, they could always try the one that worked for me.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah..yes!! Mine finally works. My drivers window would not go auto up for the factory. Now I need to figure out the spoiler. The button doesn't work at all. Comes up at 70 but the cabin button is dead.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM

If you have a coupe, the button to raise the spoiler only works when you are parked.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

If you have a coupe, the button to raise the spoiler only works when you are parked.
I think the parking brake needs to be applied as well.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dremorg
I think the parking brake needs to be applied as well.
No, parking brake isn't required. Personally, I never use the parking brake.

The part I'm not positive about is if the car needs to be off. I've haven't tried it with the car on, but I use the button every week when I wash the car and with the car off, it works.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Hmm. I looked at the manual and it does state that the parking brake is required, but I've never used mine The car does need to be off too.

Attached Thumbnails "One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED-document_page_5.jpg   "One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED-document_page_6.jpg  
Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Same here. No joy with the reset though, and the driver's window seems unsure where to park itself.

The Dealership gets to look at it on Tuesday, along with some buzzy interior trim on the left hand side, and a slight adjustment to the rear corners of the front bumper.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup

My Owner's Manual references the "one-touch facility," but offers no reset instructions. [Correction: Owner's Handbook shows reset procedure in Maintenance Section.]
deltagroup,
Thanks for pointing out the location of these instructions. Came in handy today.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 jaguar x type

AWESOME ^
Thanks alot the advice was very helpful it worked for me

Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

The reset procedure in the handbook is a bit vague on one point.

You have to Hold the button fully down to roll the window all the way down, and continue to hold it down while it is already all the way down, for at least two full seconds.

Next you have to Hold the button fully up to roll the window all the way up, and continue to hold it up while it is already all the way up, for at least two full seconds.

The process forces the electronics to read the load current at the limits and to 'time out' which is when it stores the info.

If it still fails to operate properly after doing the resets a couple times, then it has a problem.

By the way this reset procedure has been the same for any car since 2000 with one-touch windows... I've had to reset many, many cars (including the F-type), all brands and models and they've all worked the same like this. All of the other supposed requirements are just put there by the lawyers and aren't of any consequence to the electronics themselves. Key on engine off parking brake applied is the standard safe practice.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-09-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Page 147 of my Owner Manual says a little different:

WINDOW RESET
The windows will need to be reset if the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged, or the power supply is interrupted.
Once the power supply is restored, reset the windows as follows:
1. Close the window fully.
2. Release the switch, then lift it to the close
position and hold for 2 seconds.
3. Open the window fully.
4. Release the switch, then push it to the open
5. Lift and release the switch to operate the
one-touch function.
6. Repeat the procedure on each window.

So instead of continuing to hold the switch, let it go once the window is all the way up or down then hold it again for two seconds.
I've done this reset four or five times now but the funny thing is it only works while the car is in motion! Ignition on but not engine = no go. Engine on but not in Drive and moving = no go. Engine on, put car in Drive, get going and hey presto now it works! Weird.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
hey presto now it works! Weird.
A friend of mine likes to say, when he has no other explanation, "It's being British".

An advertisement for an older Jag I ended up purchasing said, "The cruise control does not work because it is British".

Seems like a popular way to explain the unknown.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-09-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

"The cruise control doesn't work because it's being British", that is funny

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I had an issue with the one-touch close on the driver's side only and was able to fix it but like you said, it only worked while I was in D and moving.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Page 147 of my Owner Manual says a little different:

WINDOW RESET
The windows will need to be reset if the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged, or the power supply is interrupted.
Once the power supply is restored, reset the windows as follows:
1. Close the window fully.
2. Release the switch, then lift it to the close
3. Open the window fully.
4. Release the switch, then push it to the open
5. Lift and release the switch to operate the
one-touch function.
6. Repeat the procedure on each window.

So instead of continuing to hold the switch, let it go once the window is all the way up or down then hold it again for two seconds.
I've done this reset four or five times now but the funny thing is it only works while the car is in motion! Ignition on but not engine = no go. Engine on but not in Drive and moving = no go. Engine on, put car in Drive, get going and hey presto now it works! Weird.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
I had an issue with the one-touch close on the driver's side only and was able to fix it but like you said, it only worked while I was in D and moving.
Same here Lani, the reset worked only when moving apparently, lol.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
Same here Lani, the reset worked only when moving apparently, lol.
I have always successfully reset the windows with the ignition on and the engine off, but maybe that's because my car has no "D".

Quick Reply: "One Touch" Window Problem...and a solution RESOLVED