F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Online Purchase/ Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 10:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Online Purchase/ Road Trip

After over a year of consideration, reading this forum, and online searching, I found my 2021 F type R in Austin,TX with 13K miles. I ended about focusing on either a 2020 or 2021 R convertible to secure a factory warranty. I was not conflicted by the styling change and think both years are beautiful. The R’s are rare and when you exclude cars that were rentals, in an accident, or used up north (Thank you Carfax!), the cars available in the entire USA drop to single digits each week. I also wanted low miles and a real "color wheel" color, not too much, huh?

I made a $500 deposit with my card over the phone and flew to Texas right away. I could tell immediately that the car had been taken care of with lots of extras piled in the trunk. The sales lady picked my wife and I up at the airport, and after our quick inspection she took us to a TX branch of my bank to get a cashier’s check. Within two hours we were heading north out of town. After watching lots of online videos I was mostly familiar with the controls and ready to drive. It was sunny and hot so we kept the top up and cranked up the AC. The wind noise was not insignificant but I told myself you don’t buy a vert for a quiet ride.

We drove north towards Lubbock through oil derricks and wind farms on two and four lane highways. It was a blast! I have never had so much fun passing trucks on a divided highway. Just as you get alongside the big rig, the exhaust roar kicks in and seems to propel you past the stunned truck driver. We picked up some road tar and lots of smashed yellow grass hoppers along the route, but it all washed off at home with a bucket and a stiff sponge. We spent the first night in a motel in Sweetwater TX. Of course I was nervous about where to park, but I found a spot next to a big Mercedes.

The next morning, we put the top down and headed west, climbing towards our mountain home in New Mexico. The wind in our hair and the early morning sun made the moment magical. With the top up, driving is like watching a movie. With the top down, it is like you are in the movie. In a yellow convertible with the top down everyone wants to follow you or chase you to get a good look. After three hours we weren’t tired of the wind but the June sun was getting too hot. I pushed the roof control until I thought the roof was latched, but the Jaguar quickly alerted me that I had not held the switch until completion. My first message from the smart car. Despite my preparation there are still a few functions and controls I did not understand and still don’t today. More fun homework and road trips ahead.

After a quick wash.

The styling was first but the power sold me.

A new home for the F type.

Grandson is thrilled.

Back roads fill up.

The following 8 users liked this post by Nacho:
Badgerman (06-22-2024), Carbuff2 (06-23-2024), Golfnutjtl (06-22-2024), JgaXkr (06-22-2024), RGPV6S (06-22-2024), Thunder Dump (06-22-2024), Thunderjet Racing (06-22-2024), VroomForTwo (06-24-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2024, 11:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Gorgeous car, and a great write-up!

The following 2 users liked this post by Badgerman:
Golfnutjtl (06-22-2024), sov211 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Really, really YELLOW!

Old 06-22-2024, 01:53 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Fantastic car, and even better color!! Congrats. The only issue is when you get pulled over for speeding (and you will, since that car looks like it's speeding while standing still) you can't say to the officer "No, it was the *other* bright yellow convertible that was speeding, not me."

Old 06-22-2024, 01:54 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Also, look into getting a mods4cars smartTOP convertible module. Best $400 option I spent on my car and makes the convertible top operate exactly like it should have from the factory, including remote operation from the fob and one-touch switch operation (like the auto up/down windows).

Old 06-22-2024, 02:31 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Nacho, you have a four to one like/post ratio. Reminds me of an old joke...

A man is waiting for his wife to give birth. The doctor comes in and informs the dad that his son was born without a torso, arms or legs. The son is just a head! But the dad loves his son and raises him as well as he can, with love and compassion.

After 21 years, the son is now old enough for his first drink. Dad takes him to the bar, tearfully tells the son he is proud of him and orders up the biggest, strongest drink for his boy. With all the bar patrons looking on curiously and the bartender shaking his head in disbelief, the boy takes his first sip of alcohol. Swoooop! A torso pops out! The bar is dead silent; then bursts into a whoop of joy. The father, shocked, begs his son to drink again.

The patrons chant "Take another drink"! The bartender still shakes his head in dismay. Swoooop! Two arms pops out! The bar goes wild. The father, crying and wailing, begs his son to drink again. The patrons chant "Take another drink"! The bartender ignores the whole affair.

By now the boy is getting tipsy, and with his new hands he reaches down, grabs his drink and guzzles the last of it. Swoooop! Two legs pop out. The bar is in chaos. The father falls to his knees and tearfully thanks God. The boy stands up on his new legs and stumbles to the left... then to the right... right through the front door, into the street, where a truck runs over him and kills him instantly. The bar falls silent. The father moans in grief. The bartender sighs and says... "He should have quit while he was a head!"

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/qu...re-ahead/5418/

Old 06-22-2024, 05:28 PM

That's funny. Thanks for the laugh.
I contemplated the yellow car issue a bit but in the end I liked the rarity of yellow cars on the road today.
The Sorrento yellow examples in the 2021 brochure of both a coupe and a vert told me Jaguar and their stylists also like that color. Several online videos with that same color convinced me as well. I think this car draws attention in any color; she is so pretty. I recall getting my last ticket (70 in a 60 mph) in a pretty but plain grey Dodge Stealth.

Old 06-22-2024, 05:51 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome to the club and congrats!

At one point I had contemplated that colour, but in the end not sure I could have done it despite liking it quite a bit. Unfortunately all SVO paints like that were on constraint for 2024 model year orders, so I couldn’t have ordered it anyway. That and the Velocity Blue colour had my attention.

Old 06-23-2024, 09:11 AM
Received 434 Likes on 177 Posts

Is that a '67 GTO in your carport?
Beautiful F-Type BTW!

Old 06-24-2024, 10:04 AM

Good eye Sara. It is exactly that. My son and I restored it years ago, and it now must move to his garage to make room for the F type. Just as well. I know what I will be driving on those cruising days ahead when I have nothing much to do, and just want to hear the sweet roar of an internal combustion engine.