F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion on Floor Mats

In my past Jags, I've always had the factory floor mats and the mounting system is horrible. On the XK that sits so low, the mats would always get out of position when I got out of the car. I now have an F-type that didn't come with floor mats. It looks like the OEM floor mats are flat and have the same problematic mounting system with the two hooks. It looks like weathertech and Husky have a lip around the perimeter. I would think that might be helpful in keep the mats in place. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 12-18-2023, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

No problem with either the Jaguar OEM carpet mats or the rubber mats.
Seem to stay in place just fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
Portlander (12-21-2023), scm (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:47 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default It was WeatherTech for me

I had good experience with the WeatherTech front mats for the 2018 Corvette, so bought the front mat set for the 2017 F. They snap right into the hooks and do not come out easily. The mats are kind of 'bowl' shaped, in that they go up the sides of the floor area.

Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Floor Mats-weathertech.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
crashxx (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:56 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought cheap Lloyds mats in black rubber. Only one mounting hole lines up on each mat, but they stay put just fine. I dislike Weathertech mats as the lip always seems to curl and the material looks cheap to me. I also have a set of the stock carpet mats that also seemed to stay where they should without any trouble.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:16 PM
Received 245 Likes on 129 Posts

I will second Valerie's recommendation. I have weathertech mats in all my cars and specifically on the F-Type they work great, never move or shift and while a tad expensive they are well worth it.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:47 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I went with the Lloyd Luxe carpeted mats, as my F-Type will never see snow. I really like them. They take some effort to attach to the floor anchors because they are so thick. and will never come off. More details in the post below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-mats-261192/

Old 12-18-2023, 03:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
I went with the Lloyd Luxe carpeted mats, as my F-Type will never see snow. I really like them. They take some effort to attach to the floor anchors because they are so thick. and will never come off. More details in the post below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...e-mats-261192/
Also went with these b/c of that thread, turned out well! Like cpq said they take a bit of finagling to get on, but after that they aren't coming off. The regular rubber mats were fine too and definitely did not slide around.

If you do go with Lloyd Luxe, like the other thread recommends, go with Ebony instead of Black - plain Black is too black and won't match.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

I keep my car spotless [garage queen] so what I do is place a 16" x 27" black microfiber cloth [Amazon] right over the mats. They fit pretty well but will move a bit if you have happy feet. I change them out as needed [as they do pick up everything your shoes drag in]. I also use them to line the trunk floor. This way everything stays nice and clean with almost no wear to the original materials. Figure the next guy will appreciate the effort.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:25 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been perfectly happy with the floor mats on all of the various Jags we've owned (3 F-Types, XE, XF, E-PACE & 2 F-PACEs). Back in the day my '53 Dodge, '55 Plymouth and '57 Chevy came equipped with rubber flooring. To which I installed strips of carpet until I could afford a vehicle that had optional carpeting. Now practically all vehicles are equipped with carpet so that rubber mats can replace them. I just buy another set of carpet mats when the originals no longer suit my taste. How much more can it cost for another set of mats on a ~$100,000 vehicle?

Old 12-18-2023, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I have both the carpet and all weather floormats from Jag. Neither of them have ever moved around. After over 5 years, they still stay in place just fine.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:48 AM
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I will third (is that how you say it?) Valerie's recommendation. We have the weather tech's and they're great.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:52 PM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi.

Had weathertechs and once they got dirty, even with their two part cleaning and reconditioning "kit" they never quite looked good. They are durable and you can just not care about them...but they are just not very "classy" in my opinion. I had them in three different cars in the past, mostly subaru's.

Where I have landed is custom mats from cocomats.com (have nothing to do with them...they have my custom paper forms for the F-type coupe including the rear fyi....so in theory you can just ask and they should have "f type" matts in house...or they can send you paper for you to do your own custom cutouts...may be needed if you want to do a convertible trunk's custom mat).

Handmade in North Carolina I think and zillions of colors and versions/from sissal to coco to checkered to woven to new materials - recycled, vegetable, etc. Handmade afaik.They are a pleasure to deal with too...super nice, responsive, smart, kind, humble. But you also get that they are master craftsmen. I got a bunch of their samples to pick my colors....and I now use them as coasters.

Just walked out and snapped a few pictures. They look, when one rinses the rubber, as good as the day they went in...they really don't show dust/small stuff/wear at all...the rubber on the bottom catches liquid. To clean, rinse. They have tons of colors/options, this is the "Jaspe or calico" in a brown and black interior in a blue car...just made the car look more classy and classic at the same time. They don't move (I have holes for the pegs too). They are heavy duty. They have a flickr account with pictures in cars - there is a jaguar section. I just sent them these for their use there....we shall see if these photos meets their standards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/furstil/albums/ These are just the best. Period. Look at the flickr link for some amazing cars like classic Ferrari's, etc.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-19-2023 at 03:51 PM.
DJS (12-19-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 04:02 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I was going to suggest these guys, because they have some of the best mats with the best coverage out there, but it would seem they don't offer an option for the F-type:

https://www.tuxmat.ca

Most other vehicles I would recommend them. Have them in my Toyotas.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:42 AM
Received 425 Likes on 174 Posts

Being the nattering nabob of negativity that I always am I will just say that the stock floormats in both of the F-Types I've owned are cheap trash. Jaguar should be embarrassed putting those Yugo-quality mats in a luxury sports car.

Dwight Frye (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I paid $100 extra for the optional Nubuck trimmed floor mats in my 2021 F Type R. I only have about 7800 miles on the car and there is already a wear spot from my heel on the drivers side. I only wear soft soled shoes like tennis shoes or Sperry Topsiders while driving so it's not like I'm digging into the mat with a Vibram soled hiking boot or something. I'll have to replace them with something more durable but still luxurious. I never drive my Jag in the rain or snow so weather resistance isn't an issue.

My brother just ordered a set of woven sisal mats for his Porsche Cayman from cocomats.com and they look very "retro" in his car. I remember seeing that type of mats in 911's many years ago. I had coco mats in my 1977 Mercury Capri back when they were fashionable but never really liked them. They faded rapidly, always smelled like burnt wood and shed fibers that got stuck in the factory carpeting. Of course that was 45 years ago and maybe I just had cheap ones. .

I have a set of Maxpider all weather mats in my Mazda CX 5. I like them so much that I never switched back to the factory carpeted mats at the end of winter. I live in the Sou. Cal. mountains and get snow a few times a year and they work great at protecting the floor and containing the melting snow from my boots. At the end of each season I simply scrub them with a brush and some car wash soap, hose them off and treat the heel pad with some 303 Aerospace dressing. I have the Kagu Model. https://3dmatsusa.com/products/kagu-floor-liner

Sassy Sarah you crack me up with your Spiro Agnew quote. I use that one occasionally myself. Most people don't even remember him. Which is probably a good thing.

SassySarah (12-22-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I had good experience with the WeatherTech front mats for the 2018 Corvette, so bought the front mat set for the 2017 F. They snap right into the hooks and do not come out easily. The mats are kind of 'bowl' shaped, in that they go up the sides of the floor area.
^^^
This. As I do drive the car year-round I purchased the Weathertech laser-cut mats and they are perfect for the inclement weather. And they cover all “vital” carpet areas. And when spring comes, I swap them out for Lloyd mats (which version currently escapes me). In either case, they don’t move an inch.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Hi.

Had weathertechs and once they got dirty, even with their two part cleaning and reconditioning "kit" they never quite looked good. They are durable and you can just not care about them...but they are just not very "classy" in my opinion. I had them in three different cars in the past, mostly subaru's.

Where I have landed is custom mats from cocomats.com (have nothing to do with them...they have my custom paper forms for the F-type coupe including the rear fyi....so in theory you can just ask and they should have "f type" matts in house...or they can send you paper for you to do your own custom cutouts...may be needed if you want to do a convertible trunk's custom mat).

Handmade in North Carolina I think and zillions of colors and versions/from sissal to coco to checkered to woven to new materials - recycled, vegetable, etc. Handmade afaik.They are a pleasure to deal with too...super nice, responsive, smart, kind, humble. But you also get that they are master craftsmen. I got a bunch of their samples to pick my colors....and I now use them as coasters.

Just walked out and snapped a few pictures. They look, when one rinses the rubber, as good as the day they went in...they really don't show dust/small stuff/wear at all...the rubber on the bottom catches liquid. To clean, rinse. They have tons of colors/options, this is the "Jaspe or calico" in a brown and black interior in a blue car...just made the car look more classy and classic at the same time. They don't move (I have holes for the pegs too). They are heavy duty. They have a flickr account with pictures in cars - there is a jaguar section. I just sent them these for their use there....we shall see if these photos meets their standards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/furstil/albums/ These are just the best. Period. Look at the flickr link for some amazing cars like classic Ferrari's, etc.

VERY classy indeed!

Old 12-21-2023, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Used to have those coco mats on a Saab back in the 70's!
Like the look but they were a bitch to keep free of grit and did not wear well.
Not great in New England with gritted Winter roads!

Old 12-21-2023, 09:29 AM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Used to have those coco mats on a Saab back in the 70's!
Like the look but they were a bitch to keep free of grit and did not wear well.
Not great in New England with gritted Winter roads!

The grit falls by design into the holes so you don't see it....unless you have a small grit driveway these handle it all and one shake out per season is all I've ever actually needed at most. We get salt, snow, sand in the winter and they do fine. I too had these in a Saab in New Hampshire back in the day and they did ok. They use a ton of sand in Vermont and am not sure anything could handle that much sand and not look like .... There were a ton of copy-cat coco mats back in the day - these apparently are the "originals" that were optioned in Mercedes Benz cars, Porsches, BMW's and the like and I suspect they as the real deal may be better than what many had gotten back in the day. They seem made to survive forever is the best way to put it and if there was a wear issue and a person sent one back they'd likely take care of it for the cost of shipping (I have no idea, just how they seem to do things)...that sort of place. Jay Leno did a video on these guys:

I forgot to show off the cup holder mats. They are a bit too thick but I don't drive with liquid most of the time so dumping a phone or other thing there is my need....and they look really cool. They did them for me for "free" since I did the mats and trunk pieces. Nice folks. Sorry for the picture - non-prepped car used every single day in all weather....

And the samples I had contemplated for my car just fyi (it is a huge mousepad, the squares are 3" x 3".....perfect car person trivets/coasters....).

Different looks - I picked sort of the most adventurous option...it was a tough call as all of them looked cool. Blue outside color ....

I wanted my F type to be special and these did that - the others in this thread are all great mats and nothing holds mud better than a plastic cup which is sort of what some of them are..., but the others don't make the car special. Just my way of thinking on this topic. Special car deserves special mats. No regrets at all - they look good all year every day and I have no worries about my car at all with them in.

And I liked the fact that real people answered the phone, answered questions...and seemed to care about the work and me. Matters to me. So I supported real people doing real craftsmanship stuff. I sort of see the F-type car as that too (I love watching the youtube videos on the F type assembly line).

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-21-2023 at 10:20 AM.
DJS (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 03:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I've not had any wear, stain, or sliding issues with any of the Jag OEM carpeted floor mats on my E-PACE, F-PACE (2), F-Type (3), XE or XF. And each of our vehicles and installed carpeted floor carpets has accumulated 50,000, 60,000 or 71,000+ miles in all weather conditions (F-Types excluded), salt, sand, or gravel between our homes in NH, VA and beyond. While the mats don't have deep pile like those of Bentleys and Rolls their appearance in a sporty vehicle is appropriate IMO and no worse than what was installed in our Audis, Bimmers and Caddy. The only issue I've ever had with floor mats in any vehicle was with our Lexus' which suffered from my wife's 3" high heals. Movement or interference with gas pedals have never been an issue with OEM mats in spite of lawsuits against Toyota. To each our own.