F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on used f-type price

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on used f-type price

I saw this 2015 Jaguar F-type V6 (not S) coupe. Has vision package, moon roof, and sport seats. Around 35k miles. What's a fair price for the vehicle?

Old 06-14-2020, 04:43 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Where? is it CPO? 1 owner? Clear title? Etc. There's dozens of online resources to give you fair market based on location. KBB, TruCar, or even just comparing against similar cars in the same market. My moto is a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That price might or might not be fair to you for various reasons.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 07:01 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Where? is it CPO? 1 owner? Clear title? Etc. There's dozens of online resources to give you fair market based on location. KBB, TruCar, or even just comparing against similar cars in the same market. My moto is a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That price might or might not be fair to you for various reasons.
+1 what he said!

Old 06-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
+1 what he said!
Just like buying a house, it may have features that you don’t care about so paying extra for them isn’t good - or it may be missing one important item that brings the value down to you, We all value things differently and while the books are a good guideline, you still have to decide what’s best for you. You’ll hear people say “it’s worth what someone is willing to pay” ; that “willingness” Is called marginal utility and each of ours is different. As others said, consult multiple sources to establish a range and then factor in the condition, maintenance history etc. Once you determine a range, identify your limit and negotiate accordingly. I have works in real estate and in the car business, and I am always reluctant to give advice, but objectively speaking, one thing I always encourage is to not make an emotional decision - That way you won’t be concerned with buyer remorse when you see a similar car a bit cheaper after you purchase. best of luck,

JacksonvilleJag (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 09:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
... one thing I always encourage is to not make an emotional decision - That way you won’t be concerned with buyer remorse when you see a similar car a bit cheaper after you purchase. best of luck,
C'mon, the last thing you want to do when considering a gorgeous car like an F-Type is take emotion out of the equation!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Ftypelover (06-14-2020), JacksonvilleJag (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 10:39 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
C'mon, the last thing you want to do when considering a gorgeous car like an F-Type is take emotion out of the equation!
Right?! If you're looking at an F Type, then you're already emotionally involved. If not, then you're dead inside and this isn't the car for you!

But he does make a good point not to be emotionally attached to a specific one you're looking at.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here. The car is not CPO, 2 owners and title is clean.

KBB gives a range of 27-30k for private party. The seller wants 30k. The exterior and interior combination is exactly what I wanted, but I am having hard timing committing because I am typically very frugal so I want to negotiate to at least 28k.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:48 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Sounds like you've answered your own question, really!
Good luck with your decision, and negotiations.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I think you're confusing the reason for buying/choosing a car and the actual transaction (the OP was inquiring about cots/value). I love the look and feel of the f-type which is why I chose it, but I negotiated on several (a couple with my second choice exterior), and was only willing to go to the upper limit of the value/price range for the exact car I wanted. Negotiating a price should be done objectively and without emotion. Again, its not about the driving experience; I wouldn't buy anything unless it "moved me", but I'm also not in the business of paying more than something is worth just because I think its awesome. Anyone who buys and sells regularly knows that all the money is made on the purchase, not the sale - if you buy things at a good price or under market value, you will never have an issue recouping your money. Having worked in the car business for a long time (previous life), I saw many situations were people were so caught up in the new car buying experience that they forgot to make sure the car or truck even had all the requisite equipment or spend any time comparing prices/deals with other dealers. this is common used car mistake as well - people assume a car has navigation is they see a screen, when in fact, most cars have screens for the climate and radio. Again, just cautioning to be objective and make a smart decision that you don't regret later - Once in hand, laugh, cry, or have whatever emotion you want.

madmax1911 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity8
OP here. The car is not CPO, 2 owners and title is clean.

KBB gives a range of 27-30k for private party. The seller wants 30k. The exterior and interior combination is exactly what I wanted, but I am having hard timing committing because I am typically very frugal so I want to negotiate to at least 28k.
Do some searches using Autotrader and Cars.com to compare similar optioned cars with similar model year and mileage.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:34 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

If you think $28K is a fair price then just negotiate for it. If the seller agrees that it's fair, you have a deal. Otherwise you could just walk away or pay the asking price.
There's not much to be gained from losing sleep over our inputs because there's only so much we can tell you without seeing the car.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
If you think $28K is a fair price then just negotiate for it. If the seller agrees that it's fair, you have a deal. Otherwise you could just walk away or pay the asking price.
There's not much to be gained from losing sleep over our inputs because there's only so much we can tell you without seeing the car.
+1 - you will never get it if you don’t ask and there is nothing wrong with leveraging sold listings for similar cars on eBay or other sites. Also important not to be swayed what other cars are listed for. Remember, if the list price on the cars currently for sale were awesome deals, they wouldn’t still be for sale. No need to insult someone but you owe it to yourself to present fact-based offer. Patience and discipline are paramount , but that also doesn’t mean you need to wait - this may be the deal you’re looking for.