F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted: Wrapping the Grill Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

If you take the white tape off, i bet you can't even tell the black bar is there from that distance...

Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

LOL at this thread...sorry T!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You can't do that without cutting out a piece of the aluminum frame structure, which will leave you with a big ugly hole, and a whole bunch of other problems.

I do not believe this is entirely accurate. The aluminum frame is completely behind the plane of the grill. The Bumper Bar shift is seeking to obscure is a plastic covered aluminum tube that in not attached to the frame in any way, but does sit up against the frame when the front nose/clip is installed.

While one might also think the Center Grill is one piece, with the Bumper Bar in front thereof, the picture below from inside a removed front clip shows the Bumper Bar actually separates two sections - upper and lower - of Grill lattice.

In either regard, your premise was on the right track. Can't just cut out the Bumper Bar without having a custom made one piece grill to install instead.

Another poster here (can't remember who) was going to be looking into having a once piece grill made for this express purpose. I've been waiting to hear/see the results, because I would be very interested in doing the same, for all the reasons shift started this thread... The Single opening Front Grill of the Project 7, with the same concept also shown for a short while on Arden's site of available F-Type accessories, is a far superior look to an otherwise perfectly gorgeous automobile.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (06-29-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
I do not believe this is entirely accurate. The aluminum frame is completely behind the plane of the grill. The Bumper Bar shift is seeking to obscure is a plastic covered aluminum tube that in not attached to the frame in any way, but does sit up against the frame when the front nose/clip is installed.
The whole point was that if you did remove/cut/whatever the black bumper bar he doesnt like, that you would still have the aluminum frame behind it, which would obviously look ugly.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Needs Ram Air shaker hood!lll

buickfunnycar.com (06-20-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Why not add an intercooler....

Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Needs Ram Air shaker hood!lll
Like this? Now we're talking!!!

buickfunnycar.com (06-20-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by shift
hmm...I think white bar even w/o the white grill might work...prototype with masking tape:
With the white grill maybe, but the white bar by itself just doesn't look right to me. The stock look is still the best IMO.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Like this? Now we're talking!!!

Someone is losing it.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

In an attempt to return some semblance of sanity to the OP, here is a good picture of a white base coupe (courtesy of Whitetardis) with the matte bar. Unless you're looking closely, it nearly disappears.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I might go this route, put on some lights!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

After looking at this thread: Grill Beam Replacement

and stealing this pic from that thread:

biggest problem is the bar protrudes in front of the grille proper.

You could possibly:

a) Remove the bar
b) Replace the bar with a piece of lexan or similar attached to the *back* of the existing grille for (rigidity and for the sensors if any)
c) paint the lexan flat black to hide the metal bar behind it.
d) skillfully attach some black wire type grill material over the entire front of the existing grille.
e) reassemble
f) you'd prob have to lose the badges, might have sensor issues - which might be addressable.

might even be reversible.

simple...ha ha...

the presumes the metal bar behind the grill does not protrude in any way into the plastic bar.

Wire Mesh

Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

mshedden, you nailed it...it's not the actual bar that annoys me, it's that it protrudes out. if the bar was much like audis that is flush with the grill mess, then it wouldn't be so bad!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

In order to maintain the original F-Type nose design, it's obvious JLR decided this was the most cost-effective way to pass U.S bumper requirements, stipulating the ability to withstand a 2.5 mph impact without any major damage to any of the car's systems.

Bumper Questions and Answers

I don't know how they're planning to certify the Project 7 in the U.S., but they've obviously engineered a different solution, if indeed it is available in this country.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know how they're planning to certify the Project 7 in the U.S., but they've obviously engineered a different solution, if indeed it is available in this country.
Sadly, I think they might put in the bumper bar for US Project 7. While at Laguna Seca during Monterey Car Week last year when they had the 7 on display, the Jag guy said it might not be like that for the US (citing the same safety regulations). I do think there's some exceptions for small volume cars...so we'll see...

Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by shift
Sadly, I think they might put in the bumper bar for US Project 7. While at Laguna Seca during Monterey Car Week last year when they had the 7 on display, the Jag guy said it might not be like that for the US (citing the same safety regulations). I do think there's some exceptions for small volume cars...so we'll see...
I think its correct to say that the original spec Projet 7 has a lower profile windshield that I believe doesn't make it to the US as well. So what you see may not be what you get.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 PM

In order to maintain the original F-Type nose design, it's obvious JLR decided this was the most cost-effective way to pass U.S bumper requirements, stipulating the ability to withstand a 2.5 mph impact without any major damage to any of the car's systems.

Bumper Questions and Answers

Yes, but....it seems difficult to qualify the F-Type plastic bar as a 'bumper' in any sense of the word, given that its merely a zero strength piece of plastic of similar strength to the rest of the grill (and indeed the only point of attachment of the bar appears to be the rest of the grill). Yes, there's a metal support somewhere behind it, but everything's crushed to the tune of $ thousands before that comes into play, IMHO. Jag may be playing 'fast and loose' or they get an exemption, in which case why have the bar at all?

Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

are project 7 parts not available as spare parts?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted: Wrapping the Grill Bar

The latest parts catalog is Jan 2015, no Project 7 parts are listed.

Anyhow I would suspect that you could not order parts without providing a VIN, similar restriction as some of the XKR-S parts.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Reading this thread makes me happy that I very much like the Grill as it is originally

But I am looking forward to see the result of any modifications, as I am very querious to see what that will look like.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted: Wrapping the Grill Bar