Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Active exhaust.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthdriver
Active exhaust.
@stealth - you wish you had bought it or not bought it?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
@stealth - you wish you had bought it or not bought it?
I desperately wish I purchased it. I don't think it can be added outside of build to order or if it can it'll be a considerable expense. Definitely worth it for $1500 extra on the base V6 in my opinion.

The active exhaust really adds to the overall level of "fun and excitement."

Without the active exhaust you don't hear the glorious backfire until 4-5k RPM, and the exhaust is extremely quiet at low RPM even with the top down.

Beneficial side effect is that my neighbors are happy and it doesn't attract as much attention from law enforcement.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I wish I had NOT bought the heated windshield. It is not fully transparent, you can see wavy heating element lines at all times, and the visual effect gives me a splitting headache. At night its even worse, it causes huge starbursts around oncoming light sources. Its bad enough to be an unsafe distraction at night, in my opinion. At this point I'm ready to talk to the dealership about replacing the windshield.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed on heated windshield - I have it in the Evoque and the angle is different and doesn't bother me as much and it is actually useful in the winter. The Jag I never had out in ice/snow, so it was pointless (I didn't spec either of my cars, but bought what someone else had specced).

My new one doesn't have it, and much nicer.

The starburst at night was particularly annoying, especially since I have astigmatism and so get starbursts badly already just with my eyes. The heated windshield then shapes them - it is neat if you aren't trying to drive, but distracting otherwise.

It also seems to interfere with the EZ Pass system up here.

The following users liked this post:
ungineer (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Eh, your complaining about the heated windscreen (shield), its standard over here and i can honestly say unless i really look for it i cant even notice it imop!!

The following users liked this post:
knoxville379 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by stealthdriver
I desperately wish I purchased it. I don't think it can be added outside of build to order or if it can it'll be a considerable expense. Definitely worth it for $1500 extra on the base V6 in my opinion.

The active exhaust really adds to the overall level of "fun and excitement."

Without the active exhaust you don't hear the glorious backfire until 4-5k RPM, and the exhaust is extremely quiet at low RPM even with the top down.

Beneficial side effect is that my neighbors are happy and it doesn't attract as much attention from law enforcement.
@stealth - I think you get "active exhaust" by pulling fuse f43. have you tried that?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
Eh, your complaining about the heated windscreen (shield), its standard over here and i can honestly say unless i really look for it i cant even notice it imop!!
My experience as well,, I don't even notice it.. glad to have it in the winter. Maybe if I focused more on the windscreen rather than up ahead I'd notice it.. think I'll try that next time I'm out in it the car.
Lawrence.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
Got everything I wanted on my V8S with the exception of the upgraded stereo which is the only thing I probably ought to have added.
really? what do you think are the added benefits of the upgraded stereo? I'm pretty happy with the standard stereo,

Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
Agreed on heated windshield - I have it in the Evoque and the angle is different and doesn't bother me as much and it is actually useful in the winter. The Jag I never had out in ice/snow, so it was pointless (I didn't spec either of my cars, but bought what someone else had specced).

My new one doesn't have it, and much nicer.

The starburst at night was particularly annoying, especially since I have astigmatism and so get starbursts badly already just with my eyes. The heated windshield then shapes them - it is neat if you aren't trying to drive, but distracting otherwise.

It also seems to interfere with the EZ Pass system up here.
Maybe like yours mine is made worse by vision issues. I wear multi-focal contacts, which use distortions in the lens to allow focusing near and far distance. I wear different powers in each eye, and notice my left eye constantly focuses on the windshield instead of the view ahead.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I've never really paid any attention to the windshield at all - that's the point though - it distorts what is not in the shield - lights coming through it, at night.

As you say, maybe it just exacerbates some vision issues. If others on here don't notice or care, awesome - good for you guys - but for me, it sucks, and now that I have had both, I definitely can tell the difference.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgomg
I've never really paid any attention to the windshield at all - that's the point though - it distorts what is not in the shield - lights coming through it, at night.

As you say, maybe it just exacerbates some vision issues. If others on here don't notice or care, awesome - good for you guys - but for me, it sucks, and now that I have had both, I definitely can tell the difference.
Probably best to just swap it out with a non-heated windscreen.
Lawrence

Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
really? what do you think are the added benefits of the upgraded stereo? I'm pretty happy with the standard stereo,
The upgraded has more settings, such as Dolby pro and DTS.. or at least I've been told that the base version does not have this... I find on DTS the surround sound effect is nice, compared to the standard Meridian setting. Likely the upgraded wattage is a help as well.
If the base radio sounds good, then shouldn't bother with the extra money for an upgrade that isn't needed.. my R came with the upgraded radio standard.
Lawrence.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine has not arrived yet (3 more weeks) but already regretting not going for sports seats, keyless entry and the flat steering wheel ...

Though I am sure the standard seats will be fine - they were supremely comfortable on the XK.

Loved the convenience of the XK's heated screen - especially when misted up or on frosty days. Was one of the no-brainer upgrades. I can see the wires but never bothered me at all.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird
Mine has not arrived yet (3 more weeks) but already regretting not going for sports seats, keyless entry and the flat steering wheel ...

Though I am sure the standard seats will be fine - they were supremely comfortable on the XK.

Loved the convenience of the XK's heated screen - especially when misted up or on frosty days. Was one of the no-brainer upgrades. I can see the wires but never bothered me at all.
I have fingers that ET would be proud off, so a fatter rim on a steering wheel seems like a good thing (and, on other cars - has been).

Still not getting the whole flat-bottomed thing, plus there's the way all of the wheels are off-centre. Can I have a smaller, fatter rim that's concentric with the boss please?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Still not getting the whole flat-bottomed thing, plus there's the way all of the wheels are off-centre. Can I have a smaller, fatter rim that's concentric with the boss please?
If you don't like the flat bottomed wheel, you can replace it with a round one. There are 2 different round wheels in the parts catalog.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes. And they both have the problems I mentioned. As do the Flat Bottomed ones.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by ungineer
I wish I had NOT bought the heated windshield. It is not fully transparent, you can see wavy heating element lines at all times, and the visual effect gives me a splitting headache. At night its even worse, it causes huge starbursts around oncoming light sources. Its bad enough to be an unsafe distraction at night, in my opinion. At this point I'm ready to talk to the dealership about replacing the windshield...
I too considered this option and my SM talked me right out of it...says he tries to have all of his clients steer clear of it for exactly the reasons you specified.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebird

Standard seats (with leather) in the convertible are very comfortable. Don't mean to rub it in, but I love the keyless entry. Only got it because of the Premium Pack, but it's a much better implementation than, say, my Mercury Milan Hybrid (aka Ford Fusion hybrid) which has a keypad on the door. Haven't bothered to learn the code on that.

Yes, my other car is a hybrid.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 AM

I like the keyless entry as well but find that I tend to use the unlock button on my key fob anyway because it lights up the front headlight led's which I enjoy looking at.

Quick Reply: options you wish you had bought or not bought