F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT fun discussion: What other cars have you driven that make you happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Well, we're buying an EV. A dual motor Polestar that is quite under the radar, and feels like a spaceship (as they say). It was a VERY fun test drive, and one of the few cars that I want to choose to afford that I'd be okay doing local road trips in place of my F-Type. The torque and lack of trunk space bothers my better half, and the Polestar seats recline all the way back like a life flat bed. LOL. We'll see if this is a farce or a joy, but I don't mind the reduction of oil stops, dealership service stops, or grabbing gas. My wife can get from Tiburon to Calistoga for work and back with about 100 miles charge to spare. We'll see... how it goes. It's weird going into the future. Amazon is getting final regulatory approval for drone delivery of products. Gonna be a weird future.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 990 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Well, we're buying an EV. A dual motor Polestar that is quite under the radar, and feels like a spaceship (as they say). It was a VERY fun test drive, and one of the few cars that I want to choose to afford that I'd be okay doing local road trips in place of my F-Type. The torque and lack of trunk space bothers my better half, and the Polestar seats recline all the way back like a life flat bed. LOL. We'll see if this is a farce or a joy, but I don't mind the reduction of oil stops, dealership service stops, or grabbing gas. My wife can get from Tiburon to Calistoga for work and back with about 100 miles charge to spare. We'll see... how it goes.
I thought the iPace was nice enough to drive when I tested it. Handling was good, tending to understeer when pushed, and I did. I'm not sure the salesman was entirely comfortable. I have not driven the Polestar. I should give it a try just to see where the state of the art lies.

It's weird going into the future. Amazon is getting final regulatory approval for drone delivery of products. Gonna be a weird future.
You say that like the present is normal. I'm not so sure of that premise.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:37 AM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

We were close to replacing the wife's vehicle with a Volvo XC40. Then I found out they are owned by Geely, a Chinese company. Then the Polestar looked promising, but they are also owned by Geely. Plus their nearest service location is 300 miles away in Detroit, I'm near Chicago. I really liked the Fisker Ocean, but they seem to be coming out of the gate slowly. If I was in California, I would be looking into the hydrogen cars. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-14-2022, 09:14 AM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

We bought a Volvo xc 90 in '04 taking delivery at the factory, thus launching a nearly-free Europe trip. We used it hard for 150 k miles so would expect your Polestar to get that distance, and we were very impressed with the Volvo engineering and factory. Isn't the Polestar purch a hybrid lease where you exchange the car when you are "finished" with it?

Not intending to hijack a thread, yet I think the electric cars will be too seriously limited by the support networks, and American fossil fuel "sense" will ultimately prevail, powering electricity and more well into my Grandchildren's future.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

In response to the last two comments, I am interested in the new mentality on servicing an electric vehicle. Tires and brake pads and windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid. I think windshield wiper fluid is the only fluid in the car? There's not much to service.

But completely respecting the second comment, they've been trying to put out a Tesla that has been on fire for about 3 weeks in a junkyard in sacramento. These batteries are no joke. And I'm not pretentious enough to say it's helping the environment, the lithium problems alone and disposing of these batteries safely is a whole complex thing. But, it's really selfishly more about my wife not having to do oil changes or stop for gas. LOL

Whatever the future is, there is zero doubt in my mind that people will be talking about fun electric vehicles they drove, in the future. Heck, if you ask I'll post the videos of the guys with jetpacks and Quadro flying motorcycle things. The future is coming in every direction. I'm not going to try to stop it.

It reminds me of the William Gibson quote: the future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
16fnrbrg (06-16-2022), OldCoot (07-25-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 11:49 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,113 Posts

In response to the last two comments, I am interested in the new mentality on servicing an electric vehicle. Tires and brake pads and windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid. I think windshield wiper fluid is the only fluid in the car? There's not much to service.
There's coolant to keep the batteries under control, and brake and aircon fluid. But I agree, there's not much to service.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,224 Likes on 8,538 Posts

This is the Tesla fire link Uncle Fishbits mentioned in his post #65

Tesla Goes Up In Flames Weeks After Crash That Didn't Involve Fire (msn.com)

Tesla Goes Up In Flames Weeks After Crash That Didn't Involve Fire (insideevs.com)

Last edited by Jayt2; 06-15-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:04 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

This is a Bradley GT I helped my stepfather build back in 77-78. I was about 14 so I only steered when we moved it around the garage, he sold it a couple years later and took a 74 MGB in trade. Green with a gold stripe, I drove it slow in the drive, like rain man. Did I actually own these? No, but they were formative vehicles that influenced me later. In the garage at the same time was a 67 Camaro RS convertible that was an uncles car. He was f'n crazy so I never even opened a door on that one!

Old 07-25-2022, 08:29 PM
Received 257 Likes on 112 Posts

Rememer the 1980 Lectric Leopord? A Renault 5 body with 16 6volt batteries in the rear. Weighed slightly less than a Sherman Tank.My guess is that they were lead acid type batteries. I considered buying one at the time, but the next morning I was sober.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:21 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Though I never drove or owned one, the Toyota Supra Turbo is a major milestone in the history of car enthusiasts. So, if you saw one in really good condition, how much would you pay for it... Yes, I'm setting you guys up. This Supra just auctioned off at BringaTrailer.com this morning.

What REALLY must sting are all the people who bought one, modified the hell out of it, beat it into the ground, and sold it cheap. Hope they see this!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-supra-47/

I considered buying one when they were new... too expensive.

I also considered a Nissan 300ZX of about the same vintage... too expensive. That one also auctioned off this morning....
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-twin-turbo-6/

The economy may be cooling, but some people's brains are still overheated!

Last edited by kb58; 07-25-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Supras:
The fact so many are selling for north of $125K is just astonishing, but I do get it, namely the below blurb that you can have a classic you can still get parts for.
I copied some Keith Martin's Sports Car Market articles into it, because it's just the best automotive journalism, and I think a lot of classic types might not really be
watching the transfer of interest from mid century american and muscle in the states, to this Japanese Import (Fast and Furious) and 4x4 crowd of the millennials interests.
Italian imports are still there, as the Miami Vice posters are still hot in the minds of Gen X and Millennial types.

But this graph from BaT is wild:

This is a wall of text on Supras:

High Times for Supras

Tweet
Facebook Post
https://www.linkedin.com/cws/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportscarmarket.com%2Fcolumns%2Frising-sun%2Fhigh-times-for-suprasBy Brian Baker on July 11, 2022 in Rising Sun

1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

Lot 463. s/n JT2DE82A4W1003020. 22,962 miles. “3.0-L MFI Turbo DOHC, 6-speed manual, original condition.” Condition: 1. SOLD AT $304,750. Stanley J. Paine Auctioneers, 6/4/22.

Recently, 13 collector-grade Toyota Supras went to auction (along with 15 other sports cars), part of a collection seized from an alleged drug trafficker. The previous owner was pulled over in a routine traffic stop in 2020, when the police found 138 pounds of marijuana in his van. He posted bail but didn’t show up for his arraignment and was later found dead in an abandoned building. This grisly story didn’t scare away bidders, as the 13 Supras sold for a combined total of $2,078,050 (including the 15% commission); this example was the top seller. With some collector cars, such a story might have scared away potential buyers, but here it likely helped the auction. The outrageous tale drew considerable attention to the sale, which was handled by a full-service auction company rather than one that specializes in collector cars. The red-hot Supra, of course, continues on its upward trajectory. This one was well sold, for now.

1972 Datsun 240Z

Lot 76066. s/n HLS3051989. 77k miles. “One-owner, 2.4-liter inline-6, 3-speed automatic transmission, light blue paint, tan vinyl upholstery, 14-inch steel wheels with covers, front disc brakes, chrome bumpers with overriders, push-button AM/FM cassette stereo, dual carburetors.” Condition: 3. SOLD AT $16,275. Bring a Trailer, 6/14/22.

Most Z cars we see at auction are very nice drivers, slightly modified restored cars or meticulous nut-and-bolt restorations. The private market is the opposite, full of basket cases and rust buckets — cars that you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemies. Finding a 240Z in “average” condition is harder than you would think. This example, even though it is not currently running, is complete. It seems like it would take only a good weekend of wrenching for it to be moving under its own power again. A refresh to the brakes, an oil change and a fuel-system overhaul would probably do it. It is mostly original, aside from the blue respray covering the original Green Metallic. Buying from the original owner here is also a plus. The automatic transmission is unfortunate, but a 4-speed manual swap can still be managed affordably. With many Z cars selling in the $20k–$40k range, a driver that needs just a little work at half price could be a bargain. This was a good buy if it doesn’t have any major needs.

1996 Subaru Vivio Bistro

S/N KK33115236. 29k kilometers (18k miles). “658-cc inline-4, front-wheel drive, continuously variable transmission, 12-inch alloy wheels, cloth upholstery, simulated-wood interior trim, manually adjustable front seats, power windows and locks, air conditioning, rear-window defroster.” Condition: 2. SOLD AT $4,807. Cars & Bids, 6/1/22.

With the rise of Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) imports, more and more interesting cars we have never heard of in the U.S. are being shipped across the Pacific. Many of these ’80s and ’90s cars share platforms and parts with models that were sold here, but not kei cars. These tiny cars were considered disposable in Japan, and they become even more so here. Things such as 12-inch tires become hard to source and likely require contacting a specialty importer or buying from overseas. Other repair items that might cause trouble include windshields, timing belts, head gaskets and water pumps. While a kei car may seem cheap and fun, it can wind up being expensive. Considering our subject car’s low price (about a third of which is what it would cost to import), there was no harm done here if the buyer has the money to spend. Though most kei cars won’t be good investments, they can be fun provided you have a local shop that can work on them. Plan to become a parts-hoarder, and familiarize yourself with websites such as Amayama.com to be sure you can acquire necessary maintenance parts from Japan.

--------------------------

A Supra-Good Deal

Tweet
Facebook Post
https://www.linkedin.com/cws/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportscarmarket.com%2Fcolumns%2Fprofiles%2Faffordable-classics%2Fa-supra-good-dealBy Brian Baker on June 14, 2021 in Affordable ClassicsThe Supra made a name for itself as Toyota’s halo car, enough that the company brought back the nameplate to the U.S. after a 22-year absence. The fifth-generation 2020 Supra is mostly a BMW Z4 under the skin, but like any sports car that sticks around for multiple generations, some versions are better than others.

The fourth generation (1993–98) has been hot among enthusiasts and collectors for some time now. With an appeal stretching well beyond just Japanese-car fans, these “A80” Supras are no longer affordable. So what about the third generation, the “A70”? Are these Supras, built from 1986 to 1992, a worthy alternative? Yes and no, but context is key.

Goodbye, Celica

The Supra has its roots in the lovable 1971–76 Celica, a 2-door hard-top coupe that had the Ford Mustang in its crosshairs. Initially dismissed as a cheap copy, it ended up proving itself with typical Toyota traits: reliability and build quality. In 1977, a new Celica designed by David Stollery (a former child actor turned designer) was given mixed reviews for being heavier, with a softer suspension, and returning worse gas mileage.

This is where the Supra was born … sort of. Toyota took the liftback version of the Celica and stretched the front end a bit to make room for its inline 6. The bogey was now the popular Datsun Z. The new model was sold as the Celica XX in Japan, but here in the U.S. it became known as the Celica Supra, introduced in 1979.

A second-generation Celica Supra (A60) debuted alongside the third-generation Celica in 1982. This is when the design started to really adopt a sporty GT look. The car came equipped with the 145-horsepower 5M-GE inline 6 also found in the Toyota Cressida.

Then, in 1986, another Celica redesign abandoned the rear-drive platform, and the Supra split off for good as a completely separate model.

A “true” Supra

The first true Supra, the A70, came about at a time when Japan was in an economic boom. Its domestic car manufacturers were creating cars loaded with new features, a wide range of trim levels and many different engine variants for the same model.

Seven engines were offered in the Supra in Japan, yet only one came to the American market, in two flavors: The 7M-GE and the turbo variant, the 7M-GTE. This was a capable motor, a 3-liter inline 6, with the naturally aspirated version producing 200 hp and 196 foot-pounds of torque, and 232 hp and 254 ft-lb from the turbo version.

But the 7M-GE also had an Achilles heel: under-torqued head studs. Toyota originally set the torque specs for both motors at the same 58 ft-lb (78 Nm), which led to a lot of blown head gaskets and warped heads. Many enthusiasts have since recommended making sure the heads get tightened to 72–80 ft-lb (97-108 Nm).

The suspension in the A70 traded out the MacPherson-style strut with trailing arms for a new double-wishbone setup. Higher trims received Toyota’s adjustable suspension system, called “TEMS (Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension)” along with antilock brakes. Third-gen Supras were commonly offered with a metal sunroof, but a targa-roof version was also available.

A climbing market

With the fourth-generation Supra now passing into six-digit valuations at the high end, many would-be owners are “settling” for the A70. Unfortunately, people will still ask you why you don’t have an A80.

However, just as we have seen with a lot of Japanese cars over the past 10 years, A70 prices are rising. These cars in very good condition were once easily obtained for around $3,000–$6,000. Now it is difficult to find a really nice one for under five digits, with the top of the market around $30,000. As with most cars, specific years and colors tend to be more desirable due to low production numbers, such as the 1992 Teal Metallic with Shadow Grey interior.

While looking for one of these Supras, beware of some common issues. We’ve already mentioned that the head studs can be a ticking time bomb, so check for signs of a blown head gasket. Targa-top cars can have leaking seals. Broken solder joints on the taillamp relay can develop over time. Rear subframes sometimes crack due to poor reinforcement. Later model years somewhat remedied this problem with better bracing, but cars that have been driven hard can be susceptible regardless.

Beware as well of the power-hungry guys who have used their A70s as a platform for a performance build. Motor swaps are common in these cars, including with later Supra motors, but Chevy LS engines are another option. While this sure sounds like fun, if you want to buy someone else’s project, make sure you get it for a fun price.

Aftermarket support for these cars is a lot better than it was 10 years ago, partly due to it being a cheaper car to acquire and modify. Still, there are also plenty of owners trying to preserve excellent stock examples of these cars, just as with many other significant Japanese sports cars of the ’80s and ’90s.

While the A70 Supra will always be overshadowed by its younger brother, it can still provide a lot of enjoyment for the price.

---------------

1993 Toyota Supra Turbo

Tweet
Facebook Post
https://www.linkedin.com/cws/share?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportscarmarket.com%2Fprofile%2F1993-toyota-supra-turboBy Mark R. Brinker on June 8, 2022 in Next Gen August 2022 issue
Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s
  • Well-maintained, low-mileage Mk IV Supra Premier Edition with desirable 6-speed manual transmission
  • First year for the fourth generation of this legendary Japanese sports car
  • Said to be in unmodified condition
  • Showing less than 19,000 miles on the odometer at cataloging time
  • Finished in factory color scheme of Renaissance Red over Ivory leather