Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How you guys doing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default OT: How you guys doing?

13 days into our lockdown after multiple airports, restaurants, ubers, museums, family in Washington DC, and came home to find we shared an elevator with someone diagnosed, so we're just being good citizens, whether you believe in science or a panic. LOL It's going to get REALLY weird. And although the straight line roads are open, and driving feels like freedom, all our curvy and fun roads are littered with people and bikers, so where I might do 40 in a 25, I'm now doing 15. LOL

I just realized I could drive to Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway, and I bet you a dollar it's worth 20 minutes and rowing gears to see if that track is wide open.

Hope you're all well. Just mental check ins on all you cats. I thought I would use this time to read and watch stuff, but we can't focus. Both my wife are in hospitality. All my hotels are closed (we covered the staff's healthcare) and what was quite the career now has me finding potential alternatives (weed, wine, back to cooking, maybe a butler for one of these big houses ha), depending on how long this lasts, and the ramifications. Wife lost her hotel sales gig, too. Lack of revenue and owning an F-Type is going to look silly at the end of time. haha

Just hope all you are doing well. Weird times. Not sure how all of you are impacted, but seeing what my brother in law is going through as a financial advisor and watching these markets, I am glad I am out of work. Although my other brother in law has a job, he's an ER nurse and flight medic, so times are insane for that guy. I assume time is insane for all of us.

If all that is left is art and humor, maybe that's fine. =) Hugs to all. If you feel off-topic-y enough to share what's going on and how you're impacted, let this be a diversion thread. Cheers.
(oh and yeah, my drinking.... it's superb. Also, having an off site wine storage unit while not having income or a job is also weird, but this to shall pass. Here's armageddon supplies from my last trip, plus two gifs that sum it up)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
SinF (03-23-2020), Sonoman (03-26-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the thread, and concern.

I'm one of the lucky ones; my job is very amenable to remote work and much of our team is well practiced with it. Very little objective disruption in that regard, but it's taking a lot of mental work to maintain healthy spirits. I'm heavily exposed to the markets so... yeah.

My sister works in a hospital, and it's... a ****ing nightmare. Stay at home folks, you do not want to need medical care right now. Or in the next 18 months, really.

Watching a lot of restaurants in the city close.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Me and 2020:

Old 03-23-2020, 05:10 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks, Uncle Fishbits. What a tragedy we are all going through. Here is a clip to cheer us all up.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Corona.mov (1.65 MB, 133 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Brock:
BruceTheQuail (03-23-2020), Tp10XKR (03-23-2020), Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fishbits! You don't know me by name but I remember you from the comments sections of SFist, Hoodline, etc for years now. Like you say, the straight-line roads are wide open in the Bay Area, but the fun roads are as packed as ever if not worse from what I saw last weekend.

I too am one of the lucky ones since I can work from home and have ensured that my firm is able to continue business as usual while being completely remote, but I really am worried about some of my friends in the service industry. Sadly, it looks like we're in this for the long haul.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Hey, Uncle!

Sorry to hear that both of you are out of work. I'm able to work remotely and can so so as effectively as from the office. Two years ago that would not have been the case, but I work more closely with those in other sites now than I did before. My teammates in Texas and Massachusetts are both under "shelter in place" orders as of this evening.

My first question: Is going to your off-site wine storage considered essential?
My second (and I don't expect an answer, as it's really not anyone's business but your own): How well are you set if this goes on?

I've decided that if I go, my best bottle is going first. Second best as well ;^ )

I've also revived my previous retirement plan of "heart attack at my desk." It'll be a while before things recover, so I"ll keep working.

In the meantime, this song has been on my mind (and no, I never saw "Jackass")

Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I consider myself fortunate as my consulting gig has dried up and I now have more time to work on house and vehicle projects and I am really enjoying spending more time with my wife. Of course, the Jag is always there to cheer me up as well. Even if they lock things down tight, I can sit in the driveway and rev the engine.

My biggest concern is that sequestering everyone at home will prevent needed goods from being manufactured and shipped. The national guard isn’t qualified to do everything.

BTW, nothing political please. Let’s keep this thread open.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
FType4Me (04-08-2020), Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

The more I hear from others, the more I'm understanding how very differently this is affecting all of us. Most times we are so caught up in our own lives, that we cannot fully appreciate another's perspective and the uncertainty that many face. All of us on here have so many different viewpoints and backgrounds, but we do share a common trait that led us to having this type of car, though it may be for various reasons. These are the things that develop the humanity in us all that is needed during times like this. And I can genuinely care and wish you all the best in the months to come.

Fortunately for me, I am retired Army and still work for the Army as a civilian contractor, so my job is secure. Currently I am out of the country working in Kuwait, so no chance to drive my car as a coping mechanism, but am able to admire it on FaceTime frequently. I live off of the military base, so we are subject to Kuwait rules and laws. They have closed most restaurants for dine in, and take out ends at 3:00 pm. Curfew is mandated at 5:00 pm to 4:00 am every day with a $32,000 fine and 3 years in jail. So yeah, they're serious. The grocery stores are well stocked, but also close early. Plenty of toilet paper though! My wife is doing fine at home, and my daughter who is in her 3rd year at Georgia State University has been sent home to finish her classes online. That's a good thing since I am unable to return to the US anytime soon.

For me, I will continue to work and try to do some "normal" activities to keep my mind off worrying over things that are out of my control. This forum helps. Take care everyone.

The following 2 users liked this post by JacksonvilleJag:
Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a neurosurgeon in one of the largest hospital in my immediate surroundings. Times are weird - on the one hand there are serious discussions and preparations for the expected many cases of Covid-19, on the other hand my day-to-day job has rarely been as little work as it is right now. We have postponed every elective surgery, closed about half our ward and are only doing critical and/or time-sensitive procedures. So in other words right now I'm mostly just sitting around waiting for something to happen where before it was pretty much a permanent run through the day to get all the planned surgeries out of the way. Right now I'm at home, since we have divided our complete staff in two groups that are not supposed to come in contact with one another - so in case one group has to shut down due to being exposed, the others can jump in and still maintain the necessary readiness to perform the (sometime live-saving) neurosurgical operations that we need to do.
I expect it will get worse about next week or so - right when I'm supposed to be back on call...

F-Type still gets driven though...

The following 2 users liked this post by Almeida:
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Almeida, I find the ‘two groups’ idea brilliant - best of luck.

I’m furloughed this week, and as I’m near retirement (haven’t looked at any statements to see if that’s still the case ), I don’t mind the time off. My company is considered essential, so we’re open with most folks working from home. (Massachusetts gave the ‘essential business only’ directive yesterday, though the list is fairly broad.) As I mostly work from home anyway, hasn’t affected me much. Have had some very nice top-down runs with the warmer weather we’ve had.

Today, I figure out what to do with a 5 lb pork shoulder. I’m thinking most of it for slow-cooker pulled pork, the rest (including bone) in soup with white beans and whatever veggies I have on hand. While watching yesterday’s 3” of wet snow melt.

And, I’m not a wine drinker, but here are my more interesting beers on hand...

Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I know two of those beers but not the other three. Used to pick up an occasional bottle of The Abyss as a special treat. I've had the Delirium, but not the Chrsitmas edition. I've got one bottle left of barrel-aged Old Rasputin that I'd decided will mark the lifting of the shelter in place order. I've had a few of the Founders: my favorite is the Breakfast Stout. I do need to replenish my supply of North Coast Old Stock Ale. Those little hand grenades are over 11% ABV.

Continuing to work, and will update the tune on the F-Type later. I haven't installed my pulley yet, as it alternates between busy with work and crap weather. I did check with Chris at VAP and asked about the throttle sensitivity I see at about 3K and he sent an updated file the next business day. It was already pulley-ready, but this will head off any twitchiness concerns I had.

I don't get out much anyway, so keeping myself company and keeping myself occupied are familiar. The work I do is related to the cellular phone industry, and we've got other products that help secure corporate networks. We'll continue to get business.

Projects to do:
Clean up the primary bike (MV) for spring
Finish hauling some cut wood, then splitting it
Restoring an old computer (Kaypro 4-84)
Lots of cleanup and organization

Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 AM

There is a 50 yr old bottle of armagnac waiting for me at the liquor store... but they are closed indefinitely. They have a delivery option, but I can't bring myself to do that given that they're basically down the street! They say they're working out how to manage curbside pickups...

Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Here in Southern California, The unit at the hospital where I work has scaled back so I've been "flexed" as they say, out of work for the time being. The open roads are tempting, but my F-Type R MY17 is my daily driver and for now my only car...I'm concerned with the So Cal JLR service departments being closed, and how I would manage if I should have a mechanical issue (knock on wood I won't) I suppose there may be some qualified private business Jag mechanics that may still be available...anyone know by chance if there are in the Los Angeles Area? Anyway, be safe and well my fellow F-Type brethren :-)
CRS

Old 03-24-2020, 11:44 AM

Huh, the dealer in SF closed their showroom (or actually, changed it to by appointment, at your home I think) but has kept their service department open.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

CRS123,
I use an independent mechanic for all of my cars including 3 Jags for more than twenty years. He is in Northridge. In fact, I am picking up my XKR today or tomorrow where he repaired a smashed up door, a result of a woman hitting it while I was stepping out of my car from a parking spot. He does both mechanical and body work. If you need it, pm me and I will send you his contact info.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
CRS 123 (03-25-2020), Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Here in the People's Republik we aren't locked down, just a suggestion to stay home. They did close non-essential businesses, but fortunately liquor stores are considered essential. (Who didn't know that?)

I went to the grocery store today. I go every Tuesday since it is antique citizens day which means a discount on store brands. The store was better stocked than it was a week ago. Fresh fruits and vegges are plentiful, canned foods not so much. Bread was available. I was able to find pretty much everything that I wanted although my wife was a bit upset when I told her that I had to get her Brownie Moose Tracks instead of regular Moose Track ice cream. LOL The management of the store with whom I am friends told me that they have a few people that come in every day and spend $300 - $400 - obvious hoarders.

I called a lady that used to work for me that lives close. She and her husband have a small but growing farmette. She has maybe 18 laying hens which have become a problem. When she could work in the office she had a way to get rid of all of the eggs. I stopped by her house and picked up 3 dozen chicken eggs and 6 duck eggs. She was grateful. We (at a social distance) discussed best places to invest what little money we have left. Obstetrics since there will be a baby boom, marriage counseling, and divorce attys. were the concensus.

Unfortunately, I ran out of Vanilla Cream Ale in the kegerator a couple of days ago and my connection hasn't gotten back to me. Another first world problem.

At any rate, stay safe and drive your damn car.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Work as usual for me. Being in a "stay home" state only means i get to work a little quicker and the traffic isn't nearly as bad. Cut back on hrs but that's reasonable in unreasonable times. Wife gets to work from home which has its good and bad. The bad being a 1.5 yr old beagle who wants to play all day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rummy636:
Old 03-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Just know the 'two week' thing was just to get people to cooperate with stay at home voluntary-at-first 'requests.' Of course already that is extended to April 12th which is also a joke. My guess is this will last at least until Aug 31st as in 160 days from now.

As long as power and water are still available most will be uncomfortable, but alive on the other side.

Anyone that does not have a few months food stores, as in canned food plus water is simply foolish at this point. As in 3-6 months worth minimum. Right now might be the only chance to stock up for many. Some of us always have an emergency/contingency plan in place so no stress here. Stress and worry are useless endeavors. Action is the course to take.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Fishbits, as usual, you launch another provocative stream. Retired, so no issues with delivering my skills to the support of the GDP. An early chore when advised to stay indoors -- especially as I am in a greater risk category -- was to clean, polish, and wax the spare Jaguar. It took the better part of 3 days, quite satisfying as something to do, and then treated meself to a drive round our back country roads. I returned on the fwy, which was lightly occupied. Once the Gubnr asked us to all stay indoors, that also resulted in the closure of my neighboring golf course. Thus, the best part of the C19 for me has been over the fence with a few clubs and a dozen ***** to continue my practice. Into the future, I see a high(er) speed run on an unamed road! Be safe F typers!

Old 03-24-2020, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

[QUOTE=lizzardo;2208353]
Continuing to work, and will update the tune on the F-Type later. I haven't installed my pulley yet, as it alternates between busy with work and crap weather. I did check with Chris at VAP and asked about the throttle sensitivity I see at about 3K and he sent an updated file the next business day. It was already pulley-ready, but this will head off any twitchiness concerns I had./QUOTE] That twitchiness was extreme with the pulley, but Chris' update smoothed it right out.

Quick Reply: OT: How you guys doing?