F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How you guys doing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Hey FujiCoupe, here is the Corona Version of Staying Alive (attached as movie file)...

Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Hey FujiCoupe, here is the Corona Version of Staying Alive:

Old 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Hey FujiCoupe, here is the Corona Version of Staying Alive: https://youtu.be/nmUXntGlqFI
Well done. The dog looked unfazed by the whole thing.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

This should become the anthem for the current situation. When I lived in Miami('79-91), these guys had a 'Compound' on Key Biscayne.It was just after the height of their popularity. They were still recording and performing. Sometimes when driving by, they would be out and around the Key. Anyone who recognized them might stop and say hello. Esp. Barry, just one of the neighbors.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Hey FujiCoupe, here is the Corona Version of Staying Alive: https://youtu.be/nmUXntGlqFI
I'm waiting for a My Sharona cover.

OMG

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (04-01-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
I quit my job at the end of last year and the plan was to take a little time off before going on the hunt again, but with the current situation it's looking like I might have to look a lot harder than I would have before.

The good news is, I have enough booze to last me through at least another couple of weeks.
The little bottles are totes adorbz. LOL I admit, I probably would be able to get through a lot of that quicker than most of you. Shamefully so. I would start in Japan, methinks.
I'm really into late 70s Japanese Jazz, and a friend in Oakland opened a listening room jazz club bar, which are popular throughout Japan. The Whiskey craze is a bi-product of that vinyl listening room culture.
They took the end of early 70s American jazz, which derailed along with Motown/Soul, and recreated it, better. And as they do, with many things, they've done it with scotch.
The last number of years the top 5 scotches have been Japanese. I am a big Balvenie fan tho.

I happen to be listening to this right now, no joke:
and I just listened to this 12min sampler: soundcloud.com/bbemusic/hideto-sasaki-toshiyuki-sekine-quartet-1-stop-over-album-sampler (link wasn't showing, so add https://)
BONKERS.

But again, I like all of it. I'm like a chocoholic for booze. (An "The Onion" joke)
BUT NEVER DRIVING NOT EVER. Not my whole life. Really proud of that compared to what I've seen.

Also, this video is unrelated but a lovely distraction and frankly a weird reminder you used to be able to DO THINGS.
It may not be cars on the road, I think you'll be fine with that.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 04-03-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I guess I am lucky(?)to be a full time bum(retired). I get to stay at home, work on my F-Type and wait for the local Jag dealer to finish work on my XK8.
As a retired airline pilot, I was flying over N.Y. on 9/11.
Always impressed with air traffic control that day. I can't remember how many they landed and how fast, but it was unreal.
This is a graphic of the aftermath and landing of all planes in the air within the matter of relative minutes. All domestic travel landed within hours.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Once a treatment/vaccine for the basic virus is found, life will come back with a vengeance. Everyone will be looking for something to spend money on that they had not used. The real losers in this are those in the service industry who rely on tips/wages from daily job, and cannot work from home. We have to try to help them if possible, now.
As an out of work hospitality guy, I'm worried about employees that worked for many years and ***** benefits (not our props! promise) and little opportunity to save or invest. My next career might be figuring out the way we can pave their way.
I think figuring out roles in healthcare that are non-technical is a short term stopgap.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

First time I left home since Sunday, and it was to get a curbside pickup from the local liquor emporium. While waiting at the door I saw a shopping cart roll down the sidewalk towards my car. I moved, but not fast enough. It pitched over the curb and landed on the front. It's right in front of the hood, but fortunately not the hood. I don't think it will buff out.

DAMN YOU, COVID-19!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I'm really into late 70s Japanese Jazz, and a friend in Oakland opened a listening room jazz club bar, which are popular throughout Japan. The Whiskey craze is a bi-product of that vinyl listening room culture.
What’s the name of your friend’s bar? I’ll have to check it out when this is all over.

Also if you haven’t tried them already, there are several pretty amazing Taiwanese whiskies

Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

The little bottles are totes adorbz. LOL I admit, I probably would be able to get through a lot of that quicker than most of you. Shamefully so. I would start in Japan, methinks.
They took the end of early 70s American jazz, which derailed along with Motown/Soul, and recreated it, better. And as they do, with many things, they've done it with scotch.
The last number of years the top 5 scotches have been Japanese. I am a big Balvenie fan tho.
Am Japanese and can confirm, whisky bars in Japan are completely different from the typical bars you find in the US. Japanese whisky demand has seen a surge domestically within Japan as well as internationally, and the manufacturers were way off in their long-term forecasts. It's sad that just about everything with an age statement has been discontinued, and what stock remains is priced through the roof. I have a bottle of Nikka Yoichi 15 year that I picked up for about $80 as soon as I heard it was being discontinued - I just did a quick search and found only one place in the US that has it, and they want $900 for it... It's good but not that good.
As for jazz, two good places I've come across in the US are Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit and Blue Whale Bar in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
What’s the name of your friend’s bar? I’ll have to check it out when this is all over.

Also if you haven’t tried them already, there are several pretty amazing Taiwanese whiskies
I also have a bottle of Kavalan Solist Fino. They make some great stuff that they're able to turn around quicker than Japan or Scotland owing to the warmer climate.

Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Doing better now when I just got my F-type out of winter hibernation

Old 04-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid

TY for the rec, and https://www.barshiru.com/
Bar Shiru!

Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Am Japanese and can confirm, whisky bars in Japan are completely different from the typical bars you find in the US.
I wish there was a youtube or skit or something on how they tell you to be quiet. First crossed fingers as an X, then crossed hands, then crossed arms. LOL
You are not to speak loudly, gentle sir. =)

I can't wait to travel again and go to Japan.
This **** is ****ing sad.
I have a lot of ferociously intelligent friends, and I am not sure people are understanding the scale of this.
This will terraform the earth into a new future.

and not just the Economist nor Financial Times, but this quote from ARUNDHATI ROY
https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/04/arundha...c-is-a-portal/

we're in a new place.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Lani Kai;2213021]Am Japanese and can confirm{/QUOTE]

I could PM, but culture is wonderful and this is already OT, so.....
Sorta gotta ask about your user name. I am Haole from Cali, but have had Kauai and Maui Aloha in my blood my whole life (pop worked in hospitality there).

We're legit planning on moving to Hana or Lānaʻi, actually. *Maybe* Hana, but multi-year plan stuff. Lots of friends in Hana and around the islands. And the speed limit on Lānaʻi is legit the reason it's a problem. LOL Road to Hana in an F-Type would be UNREAL at the right time of day, especially east to west ha

Aloha is why I am in (was) in hospitality. Aloha courses through me.

I know Lani Kai was in Blue Hawaii and had a decent music career, and I think his momma was royal??? Whether American, Japanese, Hawaiian, etc... I just REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR USER NAME.
It washed over me with some needed joy and memories of a time that was not this time. =)
Now I want to spend too much money at Mama's Fish House.

Not sure it's cultural appropriation to say it's Tenjiku there? LOL I don't know if I have that right. =)

Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I could PM, but culture is wonderful and this is already OT, so.....
Sorta gotta ask about your user name. I am Haole from Cali, but have had Kauai and Maui Aloha in my blood my whole life (pop worked in hospitality there).

We're legit planning on moving to Hana or Lānaʻi, actually. *Maybe* Hana, but multi-year plan stuff. Lots of friends in Hana and around the islands. And the speed limit on Lānaʻi is legit the reason it's a problem. LOL Road to Hana in an F-Type would be UNREAL at the right time of day, especially east to west ha

Aloha is why I am in (was) in hospitality. Aloha courses through me.

I know Lani Kai was in Blue Hawaii and had a decent music career, and I think his momma was royal??? Whether American, Japanese, Hawaiian, etc... I just REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR USER NAME.
It washed over me with some needed joy and memories of a time that was not this time. =)
Now I want to spend too much money at Mama's Fish House.

Not sure it's cultural appropriation to say it's Tenjiku there? LOL I don't know if I have that right. =)
It doesn't really have any deep origins; it's the title of my favorite album from my favorite (Japanese) band. It, in turn, comes from Hawaiian for "heavenly seas"

I think the road to Hana is too tight to be properly enjoyed in an F-Type. What I really like is the road past Hana toward Kaupo, but there are unpaved sections which would also be unsuitable for a sports car. Keep going from there around the southern end of the island, back onto the paved stretch and looping toward Keokea and I think that's where the F-Type would really shine, as there are some nice stretches of road that are completely deserted.

"Tenjiku" is the old Japanese / Chinese name for India. "Tengoku" means "heaven in Japanese, so maybe that's what you meant?

Uncle Fishbits (04-07-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

I heard a personality on TV saying that in this time of the Coronavirus and COVID-19, and staying at home, that we should focus on inner peace. To achieve this. we should always finish things we start. Further, we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished. To start, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner ****. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands,

The following 7 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
1 of 19 (04-06-2020), 16fnrbrg (04-06-2020), Brock (04-06-2020), DJS (04-06-2020), Noshame (04-06-2020), scm (04-06-2020), Uncle Fishbits (04-07-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Clever, fuji, thanks for the giggles!

Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Can't wait to get started

Old 04-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Can't wait to get started
coincidentally, I began finishing off various bottles of booze about 3 weeks ago. Not driving much makes that endeavor feasible.

Quick Reply: OT: How you guys doing?