F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How you guys doing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I saw a caravan go up 3rd in SF some years ago. There were two Veyrons. I remember one wrapped in gold. I looked up to see what rally it might be and I think it was a group called "Luxury4Play." I recall thinking "what a bunch of *******." There might have been a little sour grapes there, since they were obviously loaded with more money than taste.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I've seen the goldrush pass by us in Marin one AM, with their CRAZY wraps and wild behavior. I don't like to scare the locals, so I don't drive like that, but I am surprised there aren't details of officers enthusiastically pulling these guys over after tracking them. They were doing 130 on a highway people were traveling to church on at 9am. lol
Jay, whats this remind you of?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jay, whats this remind you of?
Jay indicated that all activities were completely within the bounds of law and decorum, and I believed him (*). I'm both shocked and concerned (**). After all, I've never had a warning from the Guardia Civil (***) about closing the border, arresting us when we got there, and jailing us for two years (****).

(*) Not really
(**) Also, not really
(***) Even more humorless than the CHP
(****) That any of you can prove

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
DJS (04-12-2020), Mbourne (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
(*) Not really
(**) Also, not really
(***) Even more humorless than the CHP
(****) That any of you can prove
That you took the time to do this is one thing, but that you gave me a GENUINELY important and healing laugh at the PERFECT time of a ***** day.... priceless.
Man, this was GREAT.

Should I watch Cannonball Run or Gumball Rally? lol Maybe Vanishing Point or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. lol

THANKS.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you found that humorous, and the humor came at at time it was needed.

I think Gumball Rally, but it's a matter of personal preference.

I got my car cleaned up and as shiny as can be over the weekend. I washed, clayed, polished a few spots, and then cQuartzed. Now it sits, slowly turning yellow from pollen.

Separately, I've heard that the CHP is writing more tickets than ever for 100+. Sound carries from the freeway, even though I'm about 1.5 miles away. Yesterday I was working in the yard and heard a motorcycle and based on the tone and duration, I'd guess he was knocking on 150.

EDIT: Most recent car films I've seen are "Rush" and "Ford v. Ferrari." Both are good. Got the DVD of "Weekend of a Champion" waiting for me now. It's about Jackie Stewart at Monaco. I had a friend who was a driver for Team Tyrrell when Stewart was racing for them, but I don't recall him ever mentioning the film. Didn't realize it was a Roman Polanski work until after it arrived.

Last edited by lizzardo; 04-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:10 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Separately, I've heard that the CHP is writing more tickets than ever for 100+.
Ah, the unintended consequences of a centrally planned economy.

Addicted to Fines: A Special Report

Large Share of General Revenues: Fines and forfeitures account for more than 10 percent of general fund revenues for nearly 600 jurisdictions. In at least 284 of those, the share exceeded 20 percent, the threshold set by Missouri in its post-Ferguson reforms. Another 80 governments reported even higher fines accounting for more than half of general revenues.

High Fines Per Capita: When fine and forfeiture revenues in all governmental funds are considered, more than 720 localities reported annual revenues exceeding $100 for every adult resident, while 363 exceeded $200 per adult.

Top States: A select group of states are home to the majority of localities with relatively high fine revenues, while they're mostly absent elsewhere. We found they're most common in Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. (See state totals.)

Exceeding State Revenue Caps: Laws in a few states limit revenues that localities generate from fines. But we found some governments still exceeded revenues caps in Georgia and Missouri.

Poorer Cities and Towns: Jurisdictions relying more on fines to fund their budgets have often sustained decades of economic decline, leaving them with weak tax bases. Those where fines and forfeitures accounted for more than 20 percent of general fund revenues recorded a median household income of only $39,594.

Out-of-Town Revenues: Research suggests police favor local residents when writing traffic tickets. At least 124 jurisdictions we reviewed recorded annual fine revenues exceeding $500 per capita, suggesting out-of-towners are likely funding much of the budgets

Last edited by RacerX; 04-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Ah, the unintended consequences of a centrally planned economy.
In this case it's a predictable consequence of significantly reduced traffic and cabin fever, not politics.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:09 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Should I watch Cannonball Run or Gumball Rally? lol Maybe Vanishing Point or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.
Not car-related, but a mad watch is Dark Star, the poor man's 2001: A Space Odessy.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Not car-related, but a mad watch is Dark Star, the poor man's 2001: A Space Odessy.
Classic John Carpenter. I saw this at the old UC Theater in Berkeley. If you're going to go with Carpenter, I like "Big Trouble in Little China" for the silliness. There's also "The Thing." "Mac wants the flamethrower!"

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Banned

In this case it's a predictable consequence of significantly reduced traffic and cabin fever, not politics.
Lets hope the one good thing to come out of the revenue crash is 90% fewer traffic cops. Thats what they get from preying on the people they were supposed to protect. Bye.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you found that humorous, and the humor came at at time it was needed.

I think Gumball Rally, but it's a matter of personal preference.

EDIT: Most recent car films I've seen are "Rush" and "Ford v. Ferrari." Both are good. Got the DVD of "Weekend of a Champion" waiting for me now. It's about Jackie Stewart at Monaco. I had a friend who was a driver for Team Tyrrell when Stewart was racing for them, but I don't recall him ever mentioning the film. Didn't realize it was a Roman Polanski work until after it arrived.
I definitely liked Gumball more. Roul Julia was a classic iconic actor......who knew that little toy cars could be so much fun! He he

I liked Rush as well but thought Ford vs Ferrari was a better film.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 AM
Banned

Lets hope the one good thing to come out of the revenue crash is 90% fewer traffic cops. Thats what they get from preying on the people they were supposed to protect. Bye.
And along the same lines, I just saw Easter 2019 over Easter 2020 air travel was down 97%. Maybe its time to cut TSA by 3 or 4 people?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

And along the same lines, I just saw Easter 2019 over Easter 2020 air travel was down 97%. Maybe its time to cut TSA by 3 or 4 people?
Neither your reply or your reply to your own reply are on topic. If you really want to talk politics can you start a separate thread?

Old 04-14-2020, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The upside to this pandemic disaster is that I’m getting projects done that I’ve been procrastinating on for a couple decades. Just finished remodeling the kitchen, replaced all the high maintenance (and partially rotted) decks with Trex and am now launching on clearing out the garage and storage attics of parts, some of which are for vehicles I haven’t had for years: ‘96 WideGlide, ‘95 and ‘00 Electriglides, ‘75 Guzzi 850T, ‘76 LandCruiser, ‘02 Mini, ‘90 GMC full-size, ’60 Bugeye, and the F-Type (OEM parts). Also have a slew of mountain and trail bike (pedal) parts. Let me know if you need anything.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I'm doing quite well at the moment!
After a cleansing amber ale (or two or three!) I'm kicking back in real Euro style with a nice bottle of Coonawarra Shiraz and a chunk of local feta.
For those who don't know, the Coonawarra region of South Australia makes some of the best Shiraz on the planet, as good as if not better than the French stuff (hic!).

Old 04-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Banned

Neither your reply or your reply to your own reply are on topic. If you really want to talk politics can you start a separate thread?
Yeah, getting rid of massive armies of uneeded police was too OnT: to driving to post in an OffT: thread. So you are right, the only thing OnT: is OffT: posts like yours above.

Thanks for getting it back off track.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-14-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, getting rid of massive armies of uneeded police was too OnT: to driving to post in an OffT: thread. So you are right, the only thing OnT: is OffT: posts like yours above.

Thanks for getting it back off track.
Topic is "OT: How are you guys doing?" in the context of social distancing and sheltering in place. Let's try something:

Q: How are you doing?
A: We have too many police.

See how that doesn't work? Maybe if you rephrased it to "I'm working on my hobby of derailing internet conversations and antagonizing forum members."

Old 04-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Banned

Topic is "OT: How are you guys doing?" in the context of social distancing and sheltering in place. Let's try something:

Q: How are you doing?
A: We have too many police.

See how that doesn't work? Maybe if you rephrased it to "I'm working on my hobby of derailing internet conversations and antagonizing forum members."
You seem too couped up. Go for a drive, but do try to avoid too many police you were complaining about and I was responding to.
Separately, I've heard that the CHP is writing more tickets than ever for 100+.
OT, so OT: Just got back from the airport - four police cruisers parked in departures and one car for the entire airport, me.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by RacerX; 04-14-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

You seem too couped up. Go for a drive, but do try to avoid too many police you were complaining about and I was responding to.

OT, so OT: Just got back from the airport - four police cruisers parked in departures and one car for the entire airport, me.
Not a complaint; just an observation. You inferred something I did not imply.

I'm cooped up indoors, my F-Type is a Coupe of doors. Maybe I'll fly the coop in my Coupe later, but I've got hours of meeting lined up first.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Omg...

You need to watch the documentary on Jodorowsky's failed attempt at Dune. Now. Do it. Is this a movie recommendation thread now? Lol

Quite familiar with Dark Star!!

Aniara is a swedish space disaster film that deals with the cosmic and very personal aspect of the tragedy of existence.

Quick Reply: OT: How you guys doing?