F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Watch advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

1. You don't need a watch, especially for the tech sector. If you want something in between an apple watch and a traditional looking timepiece, look at the Withings Activite.

2. There's no minimum, just buy a mechanical you like.

3. If you want to stay British, get a Bremont. They do produce a "range" of 3 co-branded watches.

Jaguar Watches | Bremont Chronometers

Personally I'm a fan of Ball watches. Constant lume and history from conductor's pocket watches. My personal "daily driver" is a Spacemaster X-Lume. In the photo the luminescence is exaggerated.

The following 3 users liked this post by meefer:
jaguny (06-12-2016), Schwabe (06-29-2016), SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Guys are throwing brands at you but

the most important thing is the type of watch. You want an automatic or self winding Swiss watch. Nobody has bothered to even mention Swiss made. COSC is the next step up...It means the Swiss movements have passed rigorous tests and is the most accurate of the Swisses.

Set your budget, go on eBay and find something used thats say a mechanical Valjoux 7750 movement watch in the style that you like. The reason this same word keeps coming up (mechanical and or automatic (self winding)) is because the fact that it is say a Valjoux movement in the watch, it will always be worth what you paid on eBay. If you want a mechanical hand wind watch in a big face you can go ETA or Unitas movements. These are also Swiss made.

You can't go wrong that way, you've paid market price because you won the auction. You can always sell it on eBay and upgrade later. Just get your feet wet...heres your first random link...

Tabloid Military Big Pilot Automatic Chronograph Calendar IWC Hands Valjoux 7750 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invicta-4562...UAAOSwbYZXUfuh

Take a look at the chromo dial layout. 12, 6, and 9 o clock with day date at 3. This is the layout for all Valjoux 7750 movements. If you see this and the seller doesn't know whats inside, now you will have the keyl. Avoid chrono watches that have dials at 3, 6, 9. These are mostly battery operated quartz watches. Make sure the watch is "self winding", meaning the movement of your wrist makes the rotor spin, thus winding your watch. Dont worry about these brands, thats not whats important.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-12-2016 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

@ meefer, nice recommendation on the Bremont Jaguar.

@ OP, one of things I learned after buying some mechanicals watches is that you may want to pay attention to the watch specs, thickness, size, and weight, also what type of glass (crystal). The weight and thickness can be a nuisance if worn daily and may create a tight cuff under long sleeve shirts. If you can afford a sapphire crystal, it is more scratch resistant. Polaris has given good advice as well as others, but price is going to put you in a certain category.

P.S. OCD car guys that are OCD watch guys are an intense combination. If you don't spend over $500 it's just a watch.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-12-2016 at 06:05 AM.
SinF (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Breguet Automatique Type XXI for me. Love the look and they are not as common as some of the other brands. Makes me feel soooo special.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a (auto/mechanical) G/SS Rolex Daytona that matches the F-Type S quite well. However my 4 Breitlings also beg to be along when the Jag goes out for a run.

As mentioned above, mechanical watches are a marvel; however they have no serious exhaust note, and it's hard to "experience" the watch movement. Quartz movements can be inexpensive but they can also deliver helpful features that mechanical watches will never achieve. Multi-function and high end quartz watches are electronic marvels. Let's face it, we don't experience those mechanical gears, levers, and springs working any more than we can experience those neat electrons zipping around in a quartz watch, doing our bidding.

Check out the Breitling Aerospace (quartz) series.

Desert Hiker

Old 06-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker

Check out the Breitling Aerospace (quartz) series.

Desert Hiker
Now that you mention it: my favorite (and only) watch for the past 20 years.

Titanium case and band. Light as a feather. Watch of the original shuttle pilots.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-13-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Noooo, it has a battery!!!!

Larry

Old 06-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Noooo, it has a battery!!!!

Larry
Soooo does your car.

Burt Gummer (10-24-2017)
Old 06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Since you're a gearhead, here is a panel of automotive-related watches that reflects different designs, materials, and cost. Click to expand image.

I've left out many watchmakers who create fine timepieces but who have not historically had an automotive connection with their models (e.g. Brietling...naval/aviation, Bell & Ross...maritime, Panerai...maritime).

These watches range enormously in prices and in design.

Personally, for the F-Type I would pick something with slightly restrained luxury, highly designed, performant, and a little unconventional because that seems reflective of the car's personality. To me that would be the Cartier Drive de Cartier. Purists will decry Cartier as an impure choice next to Rolex or Audemars....but that's exactly the kind of argument folks made when they thought Jaguar could not build a sports car anymore.

The nod to automotive design is well expressed in the Drive watch: the guilloché on the dial is inspired by old radiator grills, the crown by the bolts used to hold a car together. The movement is one of Cartier's new proprietary designs, and the mechanicals can be seen out the back of the watch.

BTW the argument that technology has made watches obsolete is one that's discussed a lot at happy hours here in Silicon Valley. In 15 years of serving on 8 different tech company boards and meeting hundreds of management teams, I would say that over 75-80% of technology execs, founders and directors today wear watches, and the vast majority of them are NOT smart watches. There is great admiration here for the craft of mechanical watches here, and it's common for CTO's to wear mechanical watches for that reason!

SinF (06-13-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

You are in tech, so no you don't need a watch, but if you want one then the Apple watch is for you. (As long as you use an iPhone)

I love mine.

When I am not wearing that I have a basic TAG Professional which is classy and masculine but won't break the bank.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

I think the OP is overwhelmed.

He has a ton of great info. I only wish someone would have done this for me when I knew nothing.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

........and Breitling also has a Breitling for Bentley series.

Desert Hiker

Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

For the sports type:

Official Tissot Website

Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

for me a Breitling navitimer with blue face and blue leather strap. Looks fantastic in my view

Flown with this for years, small white faces on the dial make the hands impossible to see in bright sun light......complete pain in the backside, but I love the watch

Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

A Rolex Submariner would be a good all around watch. It's a classic. The Rolex Daytona is great as well. Rolex just announced a new version of the Daytona which has a ceramic bezel. It wont be available until the fall and it will be hard to get your hands on one. The Tag Heuer Carerra series is nice. Their value drops more than some of the other brands so you may want to consider buying one of those from grey market shops like Jomashop.com.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Like Rolex Yachtmaster II, lots of grey market Rolex and most watch repair shops can service them. Most movements are ETA or Rolex version of ETA.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Like Rolex Yachtmaster II, lots of grey market Rolex and most watch repair shops can service them. Most movements are ETA or Rolex version of ETA.
Love the Yachtmaster II, my favourite of all time.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

All good advice here, albeit skewed towards the 'traditional' brands...

Take a look at this brand (Sinn). German made to the highest standards, swiss movements, and a plethora of solid designs without the high end brand markup (but not 'cheap' in any way) - I'm sure you can find one to suit.

Sinn Watches USA | Sinn Watches North American Distributor

There are other German brands on the site as well, all excellent quality, variety of designs.

Schwabe (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
All good advice here, albeit skewed towards the 'traditional' brands...

Take a look at this brand (Sinn). German made to the highest standards, swiss movements, and a plethora of solid designs without the high end brand markup (but not 'cheap' in any way) - I'm sure you can find one to suit.

Sinn Watches USA | Sinn Watches North American Distributor

There are other German brands on the site as well, all excellent quality, variety of designs.
here is my daily Sinn with red silicone band ... love how flat the dial looks at an angle because of the oil filled case ...

Name:  20160629_103430-01.jpeg
Views: 253
Size:  1.51 MB

my other watch for over 20 years is an Omega Seamaster ...

Old 06-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Love the Yachtmaster II, my favourite of all time.
Just plain awesome. One of my favorites as well although I've never owned a power reserve.

These are some of my faves from the past that I've owned and own.

I like chunky, massive, modern Swiss Chronos.

Attached Thumbnails OT: Watch advise-img_0206.jpg   OT: Watch advise-d6aefb38aa83a4679bb8ee1d80488449.jpg   OT: Watch advise-image25013.jpg   OT: Watch advise-panerai-daylight-pam-3271.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: Watch advise