F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Watch advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought and subsequently sold watches every few months because I just couldn't find one that I really "loved."
Then I bought a blacked out Hamilton Railroad auto chrono which I still have after 4 or 5 years. My current watch though is my favorite, a simple clean Omega Speedmaster.
Get a Speedy, you won't regret it.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

my watchbox currently consists of a Submariner, GMT Master (BLNR), WG Daytona, Breitling Super Avenger, Breitling Montbrillant and a Panera 111

im trying to sell my PAM, going to switch it for a Tag Carrera
I want to add a Audimar Silver themes to my collection and a Cartier roadster chrono.

to me, these watches are not just a status symbol, but i truly appreciate the complications and the craftsmanship. i mean its also the reason why choose to drive Jags over the typical BMW/Benz

Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Found one

Finally found a watch I like for the F-Type.

Arnold & Son has similar traits to Jaguar: deep British heritage, global brand, design-forward, mechanical design with some theater, and (at the moment) still not a large enough volume producer to be boring.

Despite the British roots (John Arnold was a peer of Breguet's in the 1700's and made watches for the royals), the watches are now handmade in Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. It's hard to find a good true British watch these days.

It's missing a tachymeter, but let's face it: folks who want timed performance don't end up buying F-Types :-p

The following 4 users liked this post by schraderade:
Mbourne (10-25-2017), ndabunka (10-26-2017), SinF (10-25-2017), Unhingd (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade

Arnold & Son has similar traits to Jaguar: deep British heritage, global brand, design-forward, mechanical design with some theater, and (at the moment) still not a large enough volume producer to be boring.

Despite the British roots (John Arnold was a peer of Breguet's in the 1700's and made watches for the royals), the watches are now handmade in Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. It's hard to find a good true British watch these days.

It's missing a tachymeter, but let's face it: folks who want timed performance don't end up buying F-Types :-p
Beautiful!

Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm not a fan of 'classical' see-on-every-wrist watches. Expensive, snooty. I like to be more creative. This is my current fav and much less coin + a lot more attention, good and bad.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I have a different take on watches, and it has saved me a bundle, enough to buy an F-Type outright I could argue:
I have never had a watch in my life other than for a few days 40 years ago when the old man gave me his "old" watch.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I enjoy a fine watch and have 4. But I must admit I've bought some Chinese knockoffs. The usually last a year or so but look identical to authentic, run $150 to $250. Since I already have fine time pieces nobody asks about them. My main are Brietling Chrono44, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Blue dial( bought used),Cartier Diver, and a great Tag black semi-skeleton chronograph, perfect for cars and cofffee! My knockoffs are usually Rolex!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Never did hear if OP ever bought a new watch?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I decided to refurbish my favorite watch instead - new band, crystal, and mechanical works. Watches I liked were priced too high, in a way that I would have had to prioritize my spending as a result. I didn't buy a new one as it would have resulted in less of something else down the road.

For example, this year I rented a Ferrari F430 for a track day. Fun times, but reassured me that owning one isn't for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
jaguny (10-26-2017), schraderade (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I'm not a fan of 'classical' see-on-every-wrist watches. Expensive, snooty. I like to be more creative. This is my current fav and much less coin + a lot more attention, good and bad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2BZS9IPA9UDRO

This watch looks like one I could actually see. I have many nice mechanical watches (Rolex, Breitling, Omega) but I can't read them without my reading glasses (especially in dim light). Have been using cheap self lit analog and digital watches lately that have big character displays - this one might be a good analog choice. Sucks to get old.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Not advice - just a watch story. My wife and I were going on safari in Kenya and Tanzania, and my wife didn't want my $250 Sieko (yes, that's why I'm not giving watch advice. Had a Seamaster that got stolen ;-))) stolen while we were on the road. I just went along with her, and she bought me a $25 watch for the safari.

When we got to the first airport in Kenya and were going through Security, I accidentally dropped the watch 2 feet to concrete. It immediately died. For the next two weeks, I was asking the guides and workers for the time, and every single one of them pulled out a SmartPhone.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Watches are a little like cars. If you want something functional, get a prius or an accord. Anything above that is variously indulgent, snooty, attention-grasping or a form of hobbyist love or expression!

My watches are all insured except the generic ones, it would suck to drop one on concrete and lose it!
A timex or gshock works great for travel. Or, in my case, I just bring a couple so I won't be bereft

Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

A timex or gshock works great for travel. Or, in my case, I just bring a couple so I won't be bereft
A good point. Maybe more than you realize. I have been to many places in the world where thieves wouldn't think twice about cutting off your hand to steal your expensive watch. Whenever I traveled to those places I would never even wear a watch - or anything that might be considered valuable.

ndabunka (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Good point, I had a client from Mexico who had his arm out the car window in Mexico City and thieves literally took his new AP Diver off his wrist, one week old!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Worn allot of watches over the years. The Apple Watch always recieves compliments, as well as being useful. Alarms that work, reading and sending texts, regular and military time, mutple customizable faces etc etc.
CRS

schraderade (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

RGP -

Funny. I hear you. I finally got Lasik a couple years ago and typically when you are over 40 you don't get BOTH distance and reading 20/20.

For about a month my vision was 20/20 reading and 20/40 distance. Then slowly the reading faded out to 20/60 or so and the distance is about 20/30.

Well worth it all around, but when my reading was 20/20 I was paying more checks than usual so i could make sure my friends could see I could read those poorly-printed bar tabs under dim lighting .

Now I can still read much better than before, but dim light or small text and I need 1.0 readers.

Science/tech is sure a marvel and a gift.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

https://www.jomashop.com/montblanc-watch-110337.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cp c&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&pt_source=googl eads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$1000+-+3000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvDd5vON1wIVlQOGCh29ugjjEA QYCyABEgLKbfD_BwE

Very readable face on this watch. Their new time walkers are racing inspired.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Joma shop is a reliable source, they had many Montblanc watches at 50% off awhile back, they will probably do it again, or just ask them for that price.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I decided to retire my old timepiece, so I am now shopping for a new one and need suggestions. Problem, I am a car guy and know very little about watches. I don't regularly wear one, and would need one only for Important Meetings. I am in technology sector, so maybe I don't even need one?

Q1: Is watch still expected?
Q2: What would be the economical way to get bare-minimum to meet expectations?
Q3: Are there any 'pairings' with F-type that are possible?

Any advice is appreciated!
Christopher Ward has an EXCEPTIONAL "in-house" mechanical ovement (SH21) that has a FIVE DAY reserve capability. In most other watches with their "in-house" movements of 5 days or more you are paying $10K to $20K. The CW version is around $2,500 to $3,500 & they have other FULL MECHANICAL versions for around $600 & some nice quartz models in the $300s that look like the more expensive mechanical ones (if you don't want to ever have to wind a watch). There are some coupons floating around out there for $75 and $125 off retail prices and I probably have a few in my desk drawer so hit me up if you decide to buy one and want that discount code.
https://www.christopherward.com/

Read some of the reviews and you will learn that CW are generally viewed as significantly better than Mount Blanc & others similar and CW has some VERY attractive styles. Here are the two I own
Sports/Dive Watch - 38mm GMT (Mine has the white face rather than black but is otherwise identical)
https://www.christopherward.com/watc...nt-pro-gmt-600

Here is a review of the same white dial, red bezel GMT Mark II that I have

Dress 40mm 5 day reserve (Mine is the predecessor to this one and is COSC certified so extremely accurate and has blue hands)
https://www.christopherward.com/watc...utomatic-range

Youtube review of this model (not my video)

Here is a forum that specializes in CW watches. I use the same moniker (ndabunka) at all forums and current own two of these but used to own one of the limited editions until another form member paid me WAY TOO MUCH money for it (lol). Message me there is you want or need more info.
Christopher Ward Forum ? Index page

CW has had a number of "limited edition" watches that were associated with racing (Formula 1, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc) but none currently available as new. However, here is an image of a COSC that is motorsports oriented and less than $1K

Attached Thumbnails OT: Watch advise-c07-42qcc1-s0bb0-vt_3d_range-new_1.png  

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-26-2017 at 09:40 AM.
SinF (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

That A&S is very nice & I do have a very flat 7.5" wrist so I could wear it but but both the $20K price tag & the 45mm size would be too large for my tastes.
It sounds like you are not aware of Christopher Ward who is also in the UK. Check out my prior post here for details

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-26-2017 at 09:27 AM.
schraderade (10-26-2017)

Quick Reply: OT: Watch advise