F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other Jaguar Models...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Other Jaguar Models...

Besides your beloved F-type, anyone else owns other Jaguar vehicle models? Your impressions? Recommended?
I've owned several Corvettes, & that's the only model I'll ever buy from GM.
This F-type is my first & only model from Jaguar. Love it so far. But Jaguar & Land Rover are the 2 lowest ranked JD Powers survey of initial quality this past year.
My wife is looking to replace her Mercedes mid-size twin-turbo V6 E400 sedan, maybe with another E class, or BMW 5 series, or Audi A6, or even maybe Jaguar XF mid-size sedan.
Any recommendations or comments, pros & cons, on other Jaguar sedans...?
Thanks,

Old 04-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The W213 E is incredible, albeit pricey. I have had 5's as rental cars and thought they were awfully old fashioned. No experience with the current Audi's. although I have had questions about VW/AUDI integrity in the past. First warranty coverage then the diesel debacle.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

We have a 2020 XE p300 HSE R dynamic which is essentially the top of the XE tree at the moment. I love it to bits and the biggest problem is that my wife (it is her car) loves it so much I can barely get my hands on the keys. If Jag made the same changes to the XF as they have to the 2020 XE it would be a very good car (the last one I drove was nice but I wouldnt cream my jeans over it).

Pro's:
Looks great, like a muscle car;
Interior is beautiful, a huge improvement on the previous;
ride with adaptive suspension is buttery smooth, but becomes more dynamic when driven harder (a little caveat, 19's are better with adaptive suspension than 20's, if you want 20's stick with standard suspension);
handling is epic;
heaps of tech, some of which you actually use;
P300 twin turbo 4 is a beautiful engine, I prefer it to the base 6;
pretty much resolved any niggles with the pre-facelift;
HUD is excellent;
had it since July 2019 - no issues at all and if anything my wife's love for it has deepened.

Cons:
The iPace steering wheel isnt as nice to the hands as the F Type one, IMO;
For me the car feels heavier in the front than the previous even though it isnt. But that improves the harder you drive it;
bigger vents at front mean less clearance, have had the odd scrape reversing it out of the driveway;
You have to option split fold rear seat. I forgot it and it is an occasional inconvenience;
XE has a smaller rear seat, OK for medium sized kids (say up to 5'10), taller ones might not appreciate it;
clearsight rear view mirror not much good if you wear corrective lenses.

Personally I would prefer a slightly firmer ride than this car has with the adaptive suspension but bear in mind my F Type is on 21's.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Mkii250 (06-27-2020), NavyBlue (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had a blue 2011 XF which I've had since 2014. ABsolutely love it, continue to have it, and it introduced me to the Jaguar brand. My F type is my second jag but I know many folks have had plenty others. The NA 5L V8 has something to it, and was missing from the Germans (unless you went for high trim). I also liked the glossy wood finish, rotating air vents. Those little frivolities which were largely missing from the Audis/Mercs. I remember the Merc salesman was very enthusiastic, the Jaguar guy not so. But when I drove the XF, I knew that was the one for me. The JD rankings were not good to put it mildly. But when I was deciding which would I wanted to have more, the XF was more enticing to me than the German equivalents

6 years later, it has been a great experience. Sure there's a couple things that's happened, but not anywhere near enough to concern me. I like the Mercedes of the past, but the newer ones are a bit generic looking IMHO. I am glad I listened to my heart and what I wanted more than JD power. Initial quality takes a backseat to persistent appreciation for the Jags.

Oh one story: Onetime I was out someplace with someone, and when we returned to the parking lot (in the day time) he opened the door to blue colored sedan. While he got to the car faster than I did, I realized that car he was standing by wasn't mine. It was a blue Model S. I remarked the styling cue similarities and have remembered that since.

Last edited by bluejaag; 04-16-2020 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluejaag:
Mkii250 (06-27-2020), NavyBlue (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Yeah I had a 2012 5.0 XF which would be the same as yours. Very nice car. In fact I was thinking for the OP, personally if I had to choose between the new XF (before it gets the interior treatment the same as the 2020 XE) and the previous shape, I'd look for a very late model XFR or even better a XFR-S - what beautiful cars they are - though the infotainment is a bit dated as it is 2014 vintage.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:58 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

My mother-in-law had a W212 E-class and then swapped to a W213 E-class when the lease ran out. The newer model feels far more modern inside and as far as tech is concerned it's going to be miles ahead of anything from Jaguar. With that said, the XF Sportbrake sure looks nice....

I have a lot of tech envy for modern Audis but I'm not sure about the new touchscreen interface. The previous system was so intuitive and quick for me.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Nobody mentioned Jag is offering 72 months zero percent financing!! Woot woot

I had a W212 E-class, which I bought because of gas prices and driving an Escalade. The car never made me turn around and look at it. Plus a flat tire every other week, so it didn’t stay around long. I really like the XE in R trim...that will be my next lease.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tp10XKR:
BruceTheQuail (04-16-2020), NavyBlue (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Great. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Yes, my wife loves the W212 E400's good size & safety, I love the twin-turbo V6.
Good to hear about the Jag XE, will look into it, since we're seeing some great pricing & finance incentives lately....

Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

My wife has a F-Pace S which she loves more than anything she's ever had (previously Lexus, MB). The ride is stiff and the ICTP system is buggy - which have been the main complaints in the reviews; but, we lowered the tire pressure to "light load" and moved to Car Play which helped on both counts. In the sedan space, I haven't been impressed with the loaners I had, but they certainly weren't loaded models. If I were looking for a full size sedan, I'd get a Lexus LS, but you won't get me out of an F-Type anytime soon.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

I have many Jags.
sedans are XJ , XE ( Project 8) and I-pace. Between the wife and I, we have 6 jags. The wife just loves the I-pace and my daily is a XJ. Over the years the only warranty work has been some minor issues. Nothing that affects driveability only a few cosmetic issues and one minor electrical issue all repaired without issue.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have owned over decades more Jaguars than I can state in public. Without exception they have all been beautiful and reliable cars. With regard to the JD Power surveys....you do realize that complaints can range from being unable to pair the iphone (because the owner did not read the owner's manual) to multiple electronic "failures" all caused by the fact that the car was seldom used (which resulted in a depleted battery - and nothing more wrong with the car) and that regarding the "faults" reported, no differentiation is made between a transmission failure and a burned-out light bulb?
My wife has been driving (daily) for 16 years her 2002 X-Type. It sits outside 24 hours day. It has had the following repairs in those 16 years: 1) replacement of oxygen sensor 2) replacement of water pump 3) repair of stripped nyon gear in one of the driver's seat motors.....nothing else. It runs like a new car and is a delight to drive. I can repeat that story regarding my 2005 daily driver except that it has needed NO repairs. And the 2007 XK (fabulous), zero repairs...and the F-Type....no words needed:

Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

My wife has a '17 F Pace S in BRG which she absolutely loves. Although I just convinced her to consider trading in on a new F Pace SVR. Her demand was that it had to have everything her S does and in the same color. They now offer BRG in satin (matte) and it is stunning. She said she'd agree to the satin or the gloss. We'll know in a day or two if the numbers work for us.

The following users liked this post:
Tp10XKR (04-17-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

On the sedan options I've had my 2010 XF V8 SC for nearly 8 years. Excellent reliability. Never let me down once and it's daily driven. Still brings a smile every time I drive it.
Unfortunately jag doesn't have V8 models in new XE and XF and I'm addicted to the V8 sound and power. So I got my F Type SVR last year to keep some of the miles off the XF and i plan to keep the XF long term

If I had to change it, then the new XE is great but a little smaller (not ideal with kids). Or the new XF is very respectable - just doesn't have that oomph of the V8

bluejaag (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejaag
I've had a blue 2011 XF which I've had since 2014. ABsolutely love it, continue to have it, and it introduced me to the Jaguar brand. My F type is my second jag but I know many folks have had plenty others. The NA 5L V8 has something to it, and was missing from the Germans (unless you went for high trim). I also liked the glossy wood finish, rotating air vents. Those little frivolities which were largely missing from the Audis/Mercs. I remember the Merc salesman was very enthusiastic, the Jaguar guy not so. But when I drove the XF, I knew that was the one for me. The JD rankings were not good to put it mildly. But when I was deciding which would I wanted to have more, the XF was more enticing to me than the German equivalents

6 years later, it has been a great experience. Sure there's a couple things that's happened, but not anywhere near enough to concern me. I like the Mercedes of the past, but the newer ones are a bit generic looking IMHO. I am glad I listened to my heart and what I wanted more than JD power. Initial quality takes a backseat to persistent appreciation for the Jags.

Oh one story: Onetime I was out someplace with someone, and when we returned to the parking lot (in the day time) he opened the door to blue colored sedan. While he got to the car faster than I did, I realized that car he was standing by wasn't mine. It was a blue Model S. I remarked the styling cue similarities and have remembered that since.
my experience is similar. i bought a new '12 XF and only sold it last year to buy my F Type R. frankly to be honest if i could go back in time i would keep the XF. it was beautiful, fast, relatively problem free and i miss it. the F Type is great, but not worth the many, many thousands of dollars it cost me to upgrade my jaguar experience. i may still have some pics attached to my profile here.

you HAVE to get '12 or earlier though to get the NA 5.0. i've driven the newer ones with the 6 and its a completely different and lesser experience. just my 2 cents.

bluejaag (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:36 AM

Yes, hard to find a V8 in mid-size sedan anymore at a reasonable price. Most are I4 turbo now, so replacing our V6 twin-turbo will get pricey also...

bluejaag (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 on Britcars' and Ucla1989's posts. It's too bad they dropped the V8 in the sedan. I think the earlier models of the XF were really something, before they morphed to become more like their peers. Back then, there was more of a uniqueness compared to BMWs and Mercedes. If I was shopping now, I'd have a harder time deciding.. It might just be me but I'm also starting to see that appear with the '21 F type. Disregarding the value of the cars and warranty matters aside, if I won one in a raffle and there were two same optioned cars in a dealer lot... One 2015-2017 with those hearty sounds and the other 2021 with creature comforts and updated LED lights, and (slightly) toned down backfire noises... I'd honestly choose the former.

I want Ian (McCallum) back and a 10 year heritage edition of the original XF. Here's for wishful thinking. Or just something unique that that has a spiciness to it.

Last edited by bluejaag; 04-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

At the level your looking at they are ALL great cars. So it really comes down to what do you want?
You might try a drive in a late model XJR?

Mine is a 2014 XJR that is modded and has about 620-630 HP at the engine. Dynoed at 530 HP/ 540 TQ at the wheels.
As posted above it truly brings a smile to my face and some very childish giggling when I hit it!

But I don't think you will be dissatisfied with any of the cars you mentioned.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My mother had a S Type after a string of Lexus' . Although not nearly perfect she always said it was the favorite car she ever had!

Old 04-27-2020, 07:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2008 XJ VDP - 175,000 miles - only real issue has been replacing a lot of the suspension parts due to 'perished' bushings and replaced the air suspension with coil overs. Also replaced failed speakers last year. Rest has been maintenance.
Wife has a 2014 XJL she loves. It has about 50,000 miles and has required nothing except maintenance.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2015 XJ with the sport package. Bought it two years ago as a CPO. The price was amazing. No problems, the dealer upgraded my coolant system under warrantee.
I traded in an XF for the XJ. Only complaint was that the XF seats were too hard, otherwise it rode and handled like a sports sedan should. I also have a 2014 F Type that has been
very reliable as a weekend car. I've had many more issues with the Mercedes, Lexus and Audi's I've had. The Jaguar sedans handle better than any other sedans.

Quick Reply: Other Jaguar Models...