F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 04:22 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Overheating Warning

Was just driving home in heavy traffic and got to within about three blocks of my house when the overheating warning illuminated on the dash and the engine temp gauge ticked up (but not to the top). I turned the heat on, the light changed and I drove off, trying to find a pot to pull over. Within about 30 seconds the temp dropped to normal and the light went off. I turned the heat off and the eased it home.

I have checked under the hood and the coolant tank is full, no coolant seems to have leaked out anywhere, no coolants smell is present.

Any thoughts? I am dropping the car off Monday for a bunch of other things, so I will obviously have them take a look. Temperature sensor? Fuse for the fans? Radiator clogged?

The car has aluminum cooling pipes.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:24 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

You might have a stuck temp sensor and did you open the hood to see if the fans were running?

Old 03-14-2024, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by randyb
You might have a stuck temp sensor and did you open the hood to see if the fans were running?
I opened the hood when I got home, with the car off the fans were not running. I hooked up a code reader and there is an intermittent fan relay fault, apparently.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

This reader is much relieved. You reacted quickly and properly in the circumstances.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Carbuff2 (03-15-2024), Sovande (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Good response on your part. I'd replace the thermostat as the most likely (and cheap) cause.

The following users liked this post:
Sovande (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by uncheel
Good response on your part. I'd replace the thermostat as the most likely (and cheap) cause.
I was supposed to drop the car off Monday at the mechanic for unrelated work, but I'm going to limp it over this morning and see what he can find.

This may be the end of my Jaguar experiment. I have never owned a car as fragile as this thing is. 50,000 miles and it just doesn't seem to want to stop breaking.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

I hooked up a code reader and there is an intermittent fan relay fault, apparently.
THAT would explain the heat warning. Have the tech look into that. Hopefully they won't just aim the Parts Cannon at the intermittent...

Old 03-15-2024, 09:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Sovande
This may be the end of my Jaguar experiment. I have never owned a car as fragile as this thing is.
Either you're unlucky or I'm very lucky as the four Jags I've had have all proved to be very robust and reliable. Maybe I should do the lottery?

Sovande (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Either you're unlucky or I'm very lucky as the four Jags I've had have all proved to be very robust and reliable. Maybe I should do the lottery?
I would bet that I'm unlucky. I've experienced all the fun failures and I only drive 5000 miles a year. 6 injectors, spark plugs, replaced coolant pipes, new AC compressor (ac is still not working properly), and now whatever else is wrong with the cooling system. Maybe my expectations were too high and this level of maintenance is to be expected, but this is not an easy ownership experience. Every repair I have had to do has cost at least $2200. Doesn't matter what it is, that's the cost. It's frustrating to say the least, especially as I am gathering parts to have a bunch of preventative maintenance done as I felt like after replacing the injectors the car should be fine. Maybe it's a bad ground, loose fuse, or something else, but my gut tells me it's going to cost $2200.

I'm not trying to malign the brand or the model, just my particular example seems to want me to experience every emotion a car owner can have.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:55 AM

Whoops!! Accidentally double posted.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I would bet that I'm unlucky. I've experienced all the fun failures and I only drive 5000 miles a year. 6 injectors, spark plugs, replaced coolant pipes, new AC compressor (ac is still not working properly), and now whatever else is wrong with the cooling system. Maybe my expectations were too high and this level of maintenance is to be expected, but this is not an easy ownership experience. Every repair I have had to do has cost at least $2200. Doesn't matter what it is, that's the cost. It's frustrating to say the least, especially as I am gathering parts to have a bunch of preventative maintenance done as I felt like after replacing the injectors the car should be fine. Maybe it's a bad ground, loose fuse, or something else, but my gut tells me it's going to cost $2200.

I'm not trying to malign the brand or the model, just my particular example seems to want me to experience every emotion a car owner can have.
Your experience is anything but typical. Having owned MANY Jaguars (too many to report without being accused of addiction) and having owned most of them for many years (between 15 and 20 years in some cases) and having owned most models made since 1980 and some from the 60's as well as most from the 2000's, my experience has been that they are as reliable as any other luxury car (also owned Mercedes and BMW) and far more satisfying to own for many reasons.
Don't give up on your F-Type! Use it more. Lack of use is a major cause of issues.

Valerie Stabenow (03-22-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
Your experience is anything but typical. Having owned MANY Jaguars (too many to report without being accused of addiction) and having owned most of them for many years (between 15 and 20 years in some cases) and having owned most models made since 1980 and some from the 60's as well as most from the 2000's, my experience has been that they are as reliable as any other luxury car (also owned Mercedes and BMW) and far more satisfying to own for many reasons.
Don't give up on your F-Type! Use it more. Lack of use is a major cause of issues.
The irony of needing to use it more as it sits parked after not managing a leisurely toodle across town is not lost on me.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:57 AM

Just to close the loop on this - the overheat warning was due to a faulty thermostat housing sensor - the housing also has a slight leak, apparently, which explains the dried coolant I found. All-in-all, not too bad a repair at about $900. I am also getting the transmission serviced with a pan/filter and new fluid, diff fluid change, air filters and an exhaust leak sorted, so I have spent a bit of money. Again.

I spent the last few days making lists of cars I would like to own instead of this one. After reading reviews, driving a BMW M340i with similar power and the same transmission, sitting in a Supra (I would drive a Supra if I could always be assured I would not have to see the front of the car) it became very clear that what I want is an Jaguar F-Type with RWD and a 6 cylinder engine. I could sell this one and net $1000, but then I would just have to buy another, so I'm sticking with the devil I know, and I'm excited about it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sovande:
Carbuff2 (03-21-2024), scm (03-21-2024), sov211 (03-21-2024), Valerie Stabenow (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just to close the loop on this - the overheat warning was due to a faulty thermostat housing sensor - the housing also has a slight leak, apparently, which explains the dried coolant I found. All-in-all, not too bad a repair at about $900. I am also getting the transmission serviced with a pan/filter and new fluid, diff fluid change, air filters and an exhaust leak sorted, so I have spent a bit of money. Again.

I spent the last few days making lists of cars I would like to own instead of this one. After reading reviews, driving a BMW M340i with similar power and the same transmission, sitting in a Supra (I would drive a Supra if I could always be assured I would not have to see the front of the car) it became very clear that what I want is an Jaguar F-Type with RWD and a 6 cylinder engine. I could sell this one and net $1000, but then I would just have to buy another, so I'm sticking with the devil I know, and I'm excited about it.
This.

These cars are special, and IMO in the “Work of art “ category. Your F-Type is beautiful, keep her in the family.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pupilbone:
Sovande (03-21-2024), Valerie Stabenow (03-22-2024)