Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister_Kajo
How do we do it now?Does the technical drawing have to be changed again?What I do not quite understand is how the adapter should hold? Do we have to stick it?What sensors do we need? The straight lines or the angles? And how do we do it with cable extension?
My intention would be insert the sensor into the adaptor from the rear and to hold the sensor in place with a u-shaped strip of metal and 2 screws. I would then insert the assembly into the honey comb from the rear and use adhesive on the tabs to hold them to the horizontal channels on the back side of the grille. The tabs can always be cut off if the adaptors need to be pushed further into the honeycomb for proper sensing. Creating the test adaptors as drawn, will allow us to come up with the best design.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I am not sure whether it is critical to have the sensors flush with the front of the grille. Both rocspo and I have them in about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the selected honeycomb and they work. I have noticed that when I pull up to a curb that the screen diagram goes from yellow at 24 inches and then to red at 12 inches but then goes off pretty quickly, so closer to the front would probably give me a longer red.

Unhinged, your diagram looks like your mount is 15mm thick. Are you going to be able to adjust it vertically after assembly. I'm not sure but I think it is important to be able to adjust the sensor vertically in the honeycomb after the front end is reinstalled.

Last edited by jleuz1; 05-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I am not sure whether it is critical to have the sensors flush with the front of the grille. Both rocspo and I have them in about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the selected honeycomb and they work. I have noticed that when I pull up to a curb that the screen diagram goes from yellow at 24 inches and then to red at 12 inches but then goes off pretty quickly, so closer to the front would probably give me a longer red.

Unhinged, your diagram looks like your mount is 15mm thick. Are you going to be able to adjust it vertically after assembly. I'm not sure but I think it is important to be able to adjust the sensor vertically in the honeycomb after the front end is reinstalled.
Are you asking about vertical aim or actual positioning within the honey comb?

Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Are you asking about vertical aim or actual positioning within the honey comb?
I think he means aim, as in vertical tilt. Don't see any advantage to adjusting the entire assembly a millimeter or two up and down, but getting the right aim - up or down - in relation to the horizon could impact performance.

Frankly, my biggest concern is detecting curbs and parking bumpers, so I intend to position my sensor slightly above the midline of the honeycomb aperture, then tilt slightly down.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
I think he means aim, as in vertical tilt. Don't see any advantage to adjusting the entire assembly a millimeter or two up and down, but getting the right aim - up or down - in relation to the horizon could impact performance.

Frankly, my biggest concern is detecting curbs and parking bumpers, so I intend to position my sensor slightly above the midline of the honeycomb aperture, then tilt slightly down.
Certainly makes more sense. With custom filing and shimming, my design should be adequately adjustable. If I had a machine shop, I'd create an articulated adaptor with adjusting set screws.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks IronMike, vertical tilt were the words I was looking for. I was originally thinking about something like you are considering Unhinged, until I read rospco's procedure in which he pointed out that the sensors had to be adjusted for vertical tilt after assembly. How critical that is I don't know but to be safe that is how I had it done.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'll pm you with the secret decoder ring.
where do i sign up?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fuury
where do i sign up?
I'll pm you shortly. Don't know if it will still work.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

The surround was now black painted with me and everything would be ready. I am now times over my friend the adapter by 3D printer to create and then ask times at the Jaguar dealer and with other companies, whether the the can and connect. I do not trust myself.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The surround was now black painted with me and everything would be ready. I am now times over my friend the adapter by 3D printer to create and then ask times at the Jaguar dealer and with other companies, whether the the can and connect. I do not trust myself.

Sorry but I am totally confused! The surround is no longer black? Everything is or is not ready? Connect the 3D Printer? You do not trust yourself? I really do not understand what you are saying. Are you using Google translate from another language?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Sorry, the translation was wrong.

I meant that the surround is finished in black lacquered. This was before white. The grill was already in black.

I have sent the technical drawing to my friend with the 3D printer. The parts are manufactured.

When everything is ready, I will ask the dealer and installers These should then install everything to me. I can not do the work. I do not have the technical knowledge.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 PM

before

now all parts are black.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:14 PM

Thank you Kajo for clarifying the situation. Do the parts fit the grille correctly? I have also made a template but they do not fit. If yours fit correctly can I ask you for a copy?

I am going to give the installation to my body shop as I do not have the skill to remove and remount the front bumper.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM

I have not made a template. The dimensions would have to be the same because they are the original parts.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

I have not made a template. The dimensions would have to be the same because they are the original parts.
Please let me know what it would cost me to have your friend print 2 adaptors for me as well. PM me with the details if you are able to make a pair for me.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:47 AM

For sure. I wait until the adapters are finished and then try them.
Should corrections still be necessary, I can once again place an order.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:13 AM

Is the lengthening of cables difficult or could any mechatronics engineer do this?
How long does it need to be extended?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:10 AM

Is there still room behind the grill?

Can the screws be placed in this way or could they be too far inwards?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 AM

I am not sure about the space behind the grille however it is a great shame to fit an ugly plate on what should be a nice clean uncluttered grille.

It would be much nicer to use the Sto n sho bracket that fits under the lower deflector.

Regarding the extension of the cables, this is a really simple job you just need to find the same thickness of wire, then cut and use heat shrink to seal. Anyone with basic knowledge could complete this in a couple of minutes.

I too would be most grateful if I can buy a couple of adaptors from you. I am having great difficulty to achieve a good fit, even after using the dimensions published on this forum.

Quick Reply: P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed